You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

52 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The problem you've got with closing  schools is it's basically a slippery slope. Stuff like shops, gyms, sport, you can shut it during virus peaks then open it up reasonably painlessly (assuming there's financial support in place), but disruption to lives is minimal beyond basic inconvenience. 

But let's say the worst case scenario is that we don't find a cure and simply have to learn to live our lives around this virus, can society function in the long term with a stop/start education system and, if so, what kind of learners, workers, and human beings is it going to produce?

Well, they'd only have a future of filling shelves anyway. 

11 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm hoping (perhaps with spybee levels of optimism to be fair) that rapid testing can be our way through this and hope people are responsible. There are supposed to be rapid tests available that cost ~25p each. Personally I would be more than happy to buy my own (if you could buy them here) for me and my family and test twice every day. I know not everyone can afford that, for a family of 4 that becomes 14 quid a week. But many of us can afford that and would be happy to do it, allowing the government to fund those who can't. I would role these out and I wouldn't let 1 kid into school or student into uni without them having done this daily. Workplaces could be the same. Anyone who tests positive goes and isolates and all the normal rules apply. If these tests are perhaps not sensitive enough or quite as accurate enough, give people a PCR test after a rapid test positive. If we can break those chains of infection, which surely this is what this is all about, then we have a chance of getting to a semi normal life and keep this virus in check. 

It'd be great if we could do that and start getting past all of this agreed. I'm not sure if the gov have given much of a shit all the way through this but maybe they will do soon with so much anger going around now. Maybe some of them had the idea that if schools and uni's stayed open it'd eventually start some type of herd immunity off, even if that isn't realistic at all. Or maybe it's just about the economy as usual which is god to them.

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

It'd be great if we could do that and start getting past all of this agreed. I'm not sure if the gov have given much of a shit all the way through this but maybe they will do soon with so much anger going around now. Maybe some of them had the idea that if schools and uni's stayed open it'd eventually start some type of herd immunity off, even if that isn't realistic at all. Or maybe it's just about the economy as usual which is god to them.

Well I think the economy played a massive role. If the kids are at home, it's harder to go to work and it's harder to buy pret. The same with students, if they'd declared it was all home learning, who'd pay 9k for that, travel half the length of the country and rent a room in a shithole? I'd feel confident the economy was way ahead of the mental health of the kids. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well I think the economy played a massive role. If the kids are at home, it's harder to go to work and it's harder to buy pret. The same with students, if they'd declared it was all home learning, who'd pay 9k for that, travel half the length of the country and rent a room in a shithole? I'd feel confident the economy was way ahead of the mental health of the kids. 

This.

On 31/10/2020 at 11:46, SasaS said:

People who treat journalists with visible "seething contempt" are usually not an example of good media operators.

Well it's a two way street. If journalists are allowed to guide the narrative they should be pulled up on it. I dont think bowing down to a journalists prejudice is a good thing at all. As we all know the papers are owned by billionaires who rarely reside in the country and bbc journalists are um the bbc.

The example below is Corbyn trying to set out his plans for the NHS, it's a fucking understatement to say the issue was/is rather important. The journalist was more intent on asking questions which had been asked time and time again, the NHS didn't come into her mind. A report commissioned after the last election found the number 1 issue with voters was our NHS but it came ninth in election output on MSM.

Gardiner was absolutely right to slap this particular journalist down I wish more would do the same.

18 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Well it's a two way street. If journalists are allowed to guide the narrative they should be pulled up on it. I dont think bowing down to a journalists prejudice is a good thing at all.

Who is suggesting bowing down to journalistic prejudice? There’s quite a sizeable space in between ‘seething contempt’ and ‘bowing down to prejudice’. 

26 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Well it's a two way street. If journalists are allowed to guide the narrative they should be pulled up on it. I dont think bowing down to a journalists prejudice is a good thing at all. As we all know the papers are owned by billionaires who rarely reside in the country and bbc journalists are um the bbc.

The example below is Corbyn trying to set out his plans for the NHS, it's a fucking understatement to say the issue was/is rather important. The journalist was more intent on asking questions which had been asked time and time again, the NHS didn't come into her mind. A report commissioned after the last election found the number 1 issue with voters was our NHS but it came ninth in election output on MSM.

Gardiner was absolutely right to slap this particular journalist down I wish more would do the same.

Could be. Normally, it is not a job of the media to get your message across to the voters, it's your job. If you are having a press conference on issue A, but you know media is actually interested in currently hot issue B, you expect they would be trying to talk about issue B. It's a situation you have to manage, so you either have something prepared to get them off issue B so you can talk about A, or you can slap the media down and tell them what you think they should be interested in. Traditionally, the communication professionals have so far preferred the first approach. You find a way to slap them down off camera, if you can.

3 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Who is suggesting bowing down to journalistic prejudice? There’s quite a sizeable space in between ‘seething contempt’ and ‘bowing down to prejudice’. 

I thought he got the balance just about right. I'd have preferred he jumped over the table and delivered a flying headbut but you cant have it all.

10 minutes ago, sir roger said:

He doesn't show 'seething contempt' at all, you have just jumped on that phrase from a previous poster.

I’m directly responding to that poster. He said he liked him because he shows seething contempt. I thought his response was 1) exactly what is wrong with Labour’s approach to the media 2) ineffective 3) alienating 4) exactly what people like you and Gnasher want. 

Did. It. Work? No, it didn’t. We can go back and forth all we want, but they alienated and already hostile media. The last thing I’d want is more of that. 

54 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Yes, it really is. I only read it, so he may have fucked it up in person, but that’s the right tone. Edit: here

People should watch that video, if not the speech they should watch the Q&A. Not because of the answers he gives, but how the Director General of the CBI respects him, not for what he has said but for them having worked together since he began as a leader, and how his front bench are working with them. It has given him the ability to go in there and talk about the responsibility of business, not just shouting placation about how 'pro business' they are. The last 20 minutes or so are well worth it in my view. It might help to understand how this guy could be an effective Prime Minister. He also spoke, to business, about nationalising rail. You can only get support for this hit if you actually have the trust and respect of these people, which he clearly does. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

God, imagine if one day a Trump and Johnson podium duo was replaced by Biden and Starmer? Not perfect by any means, but fuck me it'd be like washing up on an island.

I'd take that blandness in a heartbeat over the current chaos and strife. A decade or so of decent level-headed leaders would do me right.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I miss the 90s. Thoght it was onwards and upwards, little did we know.

If and when the 'left' get back in, they need to be as bold and arrogant as the Tories and Trump have been. Fuck the timidity that Blair showed, get PR in place and a proper constitution, make it impossible for chancers and spivs like Johnson to even get elected, never mind engage in the fuckery they have been.

• Upvote 5