You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

51 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Anybody with the title 'Sir' leading the Labour Party just means another version of the tory party and there are more than enough of them already.

You do realise being a supporter or at least tolerating the idea of a monarchy and titles given in recognition of service, isnt just confined to tories?

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Wasn't his knighthood awarded for his service to the justice system. He's done a lot of good work by all accounts. 

He should have turned it down and said something like 'I don't believe in a system that elevates any human being above others.' 

38 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He should have turned it down and said something like 'I don't believe in a system that elevates any human being above others.' 

No, what you mean is ‘I would have turned it down and said...’

just because he didn’t do what you’d have done doesn’t make him bad.  Otherwise it means you are our exemplar, and you aren’t are you?  

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just like a certain Kenneth Dalglish did

Or did he not; what did they rename the Kemlyn again?

11 hours ago, mattyq said:

Just like a certain Kenneth Dalglish did

Or did he not; what did they rename the Kemlyn again?

I didnt agree with Kenny either. Its all a load of bollocks and epitomises the class system in this country where a lot of our poorest citizens worship our richest simply because they have a title and money.

And Rico,no I am not anybody's examplar but nor do I regard myself as better or worse than anybody else. An antiquated system that needs flushing with a royal family and a house of lords.

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I didnt agree with Kenny either. Its all a load of bollocks and epitomises the class system in this country where a lot of our poorest citizens worship our richest simply because they have a title and money.

And Rico,no I am not anybody's examplar but nor do I regard myself as better or worse than anybody else. An antiquated system that needs flushing with a royal family and a house of lords.

He got it for being excellent at his job, one of the most difficult jobs in the UK.  Not because of who he played golf with or donated money to.  Purely on merit.  

15 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Anybody with the title 'Sir' leading the Labour Party just means another version of the tory party and there are more than enough of them already.

I think you're mixing up Lords with Sirs. 

Title of Lord can be passed down through the family, so they're likely to be exclusively Tories. 

Sir is a title awarded to an individual, you can't inherit it, you need to earn it (whether most if them deserve it is another story).

So there's a chance of there being a few good eggs in that bunch who have gained the title through altruistic means. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

He got it for being excellent at his job, one of the most difficult jobs in the UK.  Not because of who he played golf with or donated money to.  Purely on merit.  

While I agree Kenny is a great man I think the system is a load of bollocks even if some do get it on merit as there  quite a lot that don't. Its a corrupt system even though it gives it to some fitting people.

On 04/04/2020 at 21:31, Bobby Hundreds said:

Wasn't his knighthood awarded for his service to the justice system. He's done a lot of good work by all accounts. 

I read he was in charge of the CPS and he decided not to go ahead with prosecuting Jimmy Saville despite the evidence that was produced, if true maybe it was for that

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I thought saville was considered a saint until he died. Then the truth came out.

Really don't know how when so many knew the truth.    Johnny rotten exposed it on BBC Radio way back in the day. 

The interview wasnt aired and he was promptly banned from the BBC.   Something they like to brush under the carpet.