You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

51 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Starmer should be toast now. 

How will he be toast, though? VonC because Byrnes CLP deselected him using Corbyn's rules? I mean, I guess. It seems pretty much Labour to the fuckin' core to sabotage themselves when they're being predicted a massive swing from a big Tory majority to a big Labour majority. 

26 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I genuinely don't get what Kier is up to. I'm mean joining a strike whilst you still get paid your own wage is way more important than getting into government and actually affecting policy.

The fucking Tory with his 10 point polling lead. 

Yeah, I saw something in the Mirror article he wrote yesterday that really hit the mark for me, it's something I've been saying for a while. You had Tarry and Cobyn on the picket line, being paid, and not actually achieving anything for workers. Here's the part I'm referring to, and it's spot on because people on here and other places have been pacified by a tweet, as if that's enough. He said ‘I completely understand why people are going on strike to secure better pay and better conditions. I support their right to do so. When I was a lawyer, I represented striking miners for free. Not just sentiment and a photo opp. I backed up my words with action’. That’s exactly what I want from a leader; somebody who isn’t just there for a photo and then back to Islington for elevenses, or putting out a tweet, but somebody who quietly, with dignity, gets on with the job of changing things. All these here today, gone tomorrow heroes this week, Sam Tarry and Audrey White, said some things, dishonest things, and then crawled back from whence they came to rapturous applause from the Twitter left. But they didn’t actually do anything to help anyone. Sure, he might not have exactly the same politics as mine, but it's him or a Tory. If people want to go out and fight Labour in the next election, that's up to them. I just hope they don't bleat on about how bad the Tories are though. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

No idea about Skend, but it does appear that sadly many don't have one. 

As long as he's slightly less of a cunt than Priti Patel he gets a pass. 

Everyone’s got a red line.

Mine was Palestine. We saw a lot of moderates who initially supported have their red line breached this week over the strikes. If he doesn’t back the teachers striking in September, we’ll see even more moderates bail.

The problem with being a slave to public opinion models is they don’t factor in the unknowns. People reassessing in a post apocalyptic world, while skipping meals, so their kids can eat that day.

As Dempsey said, people know they’re being mugged. 

They’re not entirely sure who, where and why, but they know something is not right.

On 29/07/2022 at 23:12, Section_31 said:

It's always the same.

Tories destroyed the country when I was a kid. NHS was fucked, schools were falling apart, infrastructure was falling apart. The only things we were good at was exporting weapons, demonizing the working class and paying bonuses to bankers. The cabinet was rife with sleaze and the Tories eventually collapsd in on themselves. Sound familiar?

When Labour come in they always get shit for spending loads of money, but that's because by the time they turn up the place is falling apart. They rightly get grief for stuff like PFI, but the hospital and school programmes were essential because they'd been so badly neglected.

Tory governments are essentially ticking time bombs. By the time they take office they start ticking and each passing year sees more and more of what you rely on disappearing. They don't build anything, they just chew through it like termites.

Idiot voters don't mind as long as they're not on the collapsing ledge, then suddenly they are and decide to give Labour 'a chance' again.

And listen to Any phone in and you will hear a constant stream of people saying labour can't be trusted with the economy 

On 29/07/2022 at 20:21, Bruce Spanner said:

Unions are planning for general strikes.

Just to be pedantic, that's not strictly true. Different unions are planning different strikes; some union leaders are looking at how to time those strikes for maximum impact.

While I disagree with Starmer's stance on the strikers, the last thing Labour needs is the Spartist pricks holding sway.  There's no quicker way to electoral oblivion than that.  These people know nothing about how the world works outside their own little bubble.  Until the rules change, you have to appeal to people to win an election.  

4 hours ago, Strontium said:

But those rules were only supposed to be used agianst our enemies!

They have been getting fiddled by the right via corrupt area organisers ever since Corbyn and the unions suggested them as a half-way house to constant re-selection. Another area where Corbyn was far too passive and keen to meet these cunts halfway.

On 31/07/2022 at 10:39, Kevin D said:

He will cross your red line.

What's he going to do, name a couple of centre/left policies?

You would have thought Labour abstaining on a motion to feed England's children (all children get a free school meal in Wales) would have raised a few murmurs but alas nevermind those pesky kids it's all about beating the Tories. 

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Let’s see where it is 3 months after next new Tory leader has got their feet under the table. I expect the smear to start to increase. Imagine how it would look if Labour didn’t have such a divisive leader. 

Im far more optimistic that Labour can get the Tories out now that the likes of Mourdant and Hunt have missed a chance to lead them. Even with Starmer. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Let’s see where it is 3 months after next new Tory leader has got their feet under the table. I expect the smear to start to increase. Imagine how it would look if Labour didn’t have such a divisive leader. 

Im far more optimistic that Labour can get the Tories out now that the likes of Mourdant and Hunt have missed a chance to lead them. Even with Starmer. 

At least you haven't blamed Britains problems on us all being a nation of bigots and racists. Yet.

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

At least you haven't blamed Britains problems on us all being a nation of bigots and racists. Yet.

We've got a nation with plenty of bigots and racists in it. Only a cunt would deny it. At least I haven't blamed it on Ursula. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

We've got a nation with plenty of bigots and racists in it. Only a cunt would deny it. At least I haven't blamed it on Ursula. 

It's not Stig, I know you mean well but you are firing bullets at the wrong people. Look at the far right in somewhere like France, or Itsly, or Hungary. 

Just now, Gnasher said:

It's not Stig, I know you mean well but you are firing bullets at the wrong people. Look at the far right in somewhere like France, or Itsly, or Hungary. 

Me pointing out that we have racism in this country has fuck all to do with other countries. If I lived in France I'd no doubt say the same thing, in French. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Me pointing out that we have racism in this country has fuck all to do with other countries. If I lived in France I'd no doubt say the same thing, in French. 

Well OK but as you've been mouthing off about racism and the likes of Tommy Robinson, sorry if I came across as off the other night no offence intended but I'm just giving a different perspective and a differing viewpoint

The veiws of people like Lynch and Dempsey deserve listening to though and on any subject, whether it be our trade union laws or our countrys relation to the EU.  

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Well OK but as you've been mouthing off about racism and the likes of Tommy Robinson, sorry if I came across as off the other night no offence intended but I'm just giving a different perspective and a differing viewpoint

The veiws of people like Lynch and Dempsey deserve listening to though and on any subject, whether it be our trade union laws or our countrys relation to the EU.  

Shouldn't we all be? "mouthing off" All you do is mouth off about Brexit. My viewpoint (and many others on here) differs to yours. People are allowed opposite views, it doesn't mean they're right. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Shouldn't we all be? "mouthing off" All you do is mouth off about Brexit. My viewpoint (and many others on here) differs to yours. People are allowed opposite views, it doesn't mean they're right. 

OK fair enough see at the next pile on.