You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

29 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

What should this 200 year vision be then?

What 200 year vision? I didn’t say anything about a 200 year vision. In the context of my discussion with Bruce, talking about the introduction of proportional representation and changes to things like the Lords, I said we need a party willing to modernise, I want them to pick those things - the structures and systems of government - apart and rework them so they are suitable for the next 200 years not the previous 200 years.  

If you’re now looking for me to create a 200 year manifesto, or outlining some 200 years worth of vision, you’re going to be out of luck. 

39 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What 200 year vision? I didn’t say anything about a 200 year vision. In the context of my discussion with Bruce, talking about the introduction of proportional representation and changes to things like the Lords, I said we need a party willing to modernise, I want them to pick those things - the structures and systems of government - apart and rework them so they are suitable for the next 200 years not the previous 200 years.  

If you’re now looking for me to create a 200 year manifesto, or outlining some 200 years worth of vision, you’re going to be out of luck. 

OK fair enough.

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Gah, I’m not ashamed of myself for wanting to do what it takes to get rid of these Tories. A clip of one MP saying a thing isn’t going to make me feel ashamed about wanting to end this government and put Labour back in power, even if the junior party isn’t entirely perfect in every way. 

Yeah, but you know who else wanted the trains to run on time? Hitler. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Now him, he's somebody I'd be interested in working with. Yes, I mean I'll admit he's a bit 'killy' but could you imagine the clobber. 

He didn't go into coalition with the Tories either. 

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Well the martyrs of the past couple of hundred years brought us the Labour movement that took children out of the workhouse, gave us workers rights, unions, a free health service, equal rights for women, stopped gays and lesbians living a life of fear and abolished slavery. 

As for this next 200 years you speak of I'm don't where you think we should go or what gains you think we should make . Im more concerned over the dangers we face losing the hard fought advances our forefathers provided us with.

At least 2 of those reforms (abolition of slavery, universal suffrage) were down to the Whigs, the forerunners of the modern day Liberal Democrats. Credit where credits due. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

At least 2 of those reforms (abolition of slavery, universal suffrage) were down to the Whigs, the forerunners of the modern day Liberal Democrats. Credit where credits due. 

Yep, it was a general point about how far we've come. Will the earth itself stand another 200 years of us abusing it? 

19 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I despise David Lammy, but what? 

I just find it shallow that after standing on a picket line, he is now saying he would never stand on a picket line. 

The original post is from 2016 when the leadership said they would support all strikers, so he happily went. Now the current leadership doesn't wish to be seen to support these strikers by standing on the picket line and he is not saying he does not believe it is the right time etc but that you should never stand on a picket line. 

I believe both views are extreme, always/never support striking workers but it seems Lammy is happy to change his beliefs depending on the leadership. 

So NHS workers vote for strike action and he won't show support for them now by standing with them. 

What has changed in the last 6 years for his about turn ? 

1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I just find it shallow that after standing on a picket line, he is now saying he would never stand on a picket line. 

The original post is from 2016 when the leadership said they would support all strikers, so he happily went. Now the current leadership doesn't wish to be seen to support these strikers by standing on the picket line and he is not saying he does not believe it is the right time etc but that you should never stand on a picket line. 

I believe both views are extreme, always/never support striking workers bit it seems Lammy is happy to change his beliefs depending on the leadership. 

So NHS workers vote for strike action and he won't show support for them now by standing with them. 

What has changed in the last 6 years for his about turn ? 

He is a chancer politician cunt. Simple really. I think his words were ‘no serious party of government should be joining picket lines’. Well, I can sort of see that perspective whilst also just asking ‘erm… why?’. Striking can be a completely legitimate method to protect the rights of the worker. So if it’s one of the strikes where it’s NHS vs the government and they’re being shafted, get behind it. Most of the country are behind the NHS. RMT… not so much. 

10 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He is a chancer politician cunt. Simple really. I think his words were ‘no serious party of government should be joining picket lines’. Well, I can sort of see that perspective whilst also just asking ‘erm… why?’. Striking can be a completely legitimate method to protect the rights of the worker. So if it’s one of the strikes where it’s NHS vs the government and they’re being shafted, get behind it. Most of the country are behind the NHS. RMT… not so much. 

I believe we are in agreement, there are times you can totally justify standing on a picket line (NHS being obvious) as I stated Labour could explain why they think the RMT are acting incorrectly at this current moment but he has stated never stand on a picket line, despite having done it himself. You would imagine that has come from the leadership, as opposed to a change in his core beliefs, hence my principles quip.

The principle that I want Labour to show at the moment is the ‘do what it takes to win’ principle. Only then can they change anything. If the front bench turning up to picket lines makes them look like a party that’s not a party of government to some of the voters needed to actually get into government, then fine. Build a big fucking Trojan horse and ride it into Number 10 if needed, because that’s the only way to make a difference.

It’s all very well patting ourselves on the back, getting photos ‘supporting’ workers, and then giving the Tories a huge mandate to destroy workers. That’s not supporting workers, not really. Supporting workers is using your platform to make substantive difference to their lives. Apologies in advance for speaking his name, but Corbyn gets a lot of praise for turning up at these events, but what has he really done in his entire career to make a serious change. Photos on the picket line make you feel good, but years in government allow you to do good. If he won the election, he could have given the workers the rise. Lammy turning up at NHS pickets doesn’t actually get them what they need. If you are serious about helping people, you can’t just ‘win the argument’, you have to win elections. 

• Upvote 1

He's a dope. I'm not sure why they just didn't stick to the line that the government needs to get it sorted. To go as far as he has yesterday is just plain stupid when there's photos of him on picket lines. Hopefully it just gets lost in all the noise as this stance isn't sustainable when more and more people start striking.