You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You keep tramping on anyone remotely to the left Numero. You're doing a grand job.

But only the left, yeah? I never say anything about anybody else? Have you considered I might just not give a fuck about which tribe somebody claims to be in, if I disagree then I’ll disagree. 

17 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What obsession? They’re hardly ever mentioned. 

Jones has been discussed by you today whilst you put me in bracket with the other one and I'd hardly had wind of her.

17 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Is it because they’re left wing and we are right wing, is that it Gnasher? I suspect that might be it. 

Possibly dear Watson. Possibly. 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Jones has been discussed by you today whilst you put me in bracket with the other one and I'd hardly had wind of her.

Possibly dear Watson. Possibly. 

Somebody posted about him and I replied once or twice. I mean, I’m not sure this qualifies as an obsession. 

You’ve still never told me one single thing that is right wing that I’ve said. That’s what makes you right wing, not who you dislike. 

He's always seemed a bit lightweight to me Burnham. He launched his leadership bid in the city of London and had a feature in the Daily Mirror where they met his parents. I mean, fucking hell.

Thing is though, anyone is better than the Tories. I'd take fucking Gary Neville over Johnson. Maybe.

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He's always seemed a bit lightweight to me Burnham. He launched his leadership bid in the city of London and had a feature in the Daily Mirror where they met his parents. I mean, fucking hell.

Thing is though, anyone is better than the Tories. I'd take fucking Gary Neville over Johnson. Maybe.

I would in a heartbeat. I'd take Alex Ferguson over him. 

44 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I needed a good laugh today, thanks Twitter

HamasOperative.jpg.4826aa3f6a0d3b7ad7bb404a44bcb51a.jpg

I was wondering what was going on then see that he's presenting a show on Press TV and linking to it and Press TV from that account. I wonder if that's the reason twitter are saying he's Iran state-affiliated media? If it is maybe he'll figure it out eventually.

I might not agree with all of the twitter media labelling but wow.

Burnham coming out in favour of PR!

Excellent news, means the death of Labour, as is, sadly, but also would remove the Tories forever and consign them to history.

Glad the conversation is finally starting.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/25/why-its-time-for-labour-to-back-proportional-representation

'What I am proposing is cooperating now on a programme for political reform. At a grassroots level, Labour is moving towards support for PR. If the party as a whole were to embrace it, it paves the way for an agreement with other parties on wider reforms: an elected senate of the nations and regions to replace the Lords and maximum devolution of power out of Westminster.'

20 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Burnham coming out in favour of PR!

Excellent news, means the death of Labour, as is, sadly, but also would remove the Tories forever and consign them to history.

Glad the conversation is finally starting.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/25/why-its-time-for-labour-to-back-proportional-representation

'What I am proposing is cooperating now on a programme for political reform. At a grassroots level, Labour is moving towards support for PR. If the party as a whole were to embrace it, it paves the way for an agreement with other parties on wider reforms: an elected senate of the nations and regions to replace the Lords and maximum devolution of power out of Westminster.'

Yeah, it’s time. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, it’s time. 

Yup.

Said a few months back that Starmers biggest success, if he means what he says about changing politics, would be the introduction of PR and the death of the current Labour Party.

It is a genuine legacy in the interests of the country.

I hope he achieves both and would rightly thank him for it.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yup.

Said a few months back that Starmers biggest success, if he means what he says about changing politics, would be the introduction of PR and the death of the current Labour Party.

It is a genuine legacy in the interests of the country.

I hope he achieves both and would rightly thank him for it.

We need somebody that isn’t scared to do what’s necessary to make their party become the party of serious modernisation. That’s what we need going forward, so much of the debate takes place based on old ideas and old terminology. Something needs to give, and we need to pull these things apart at the seams. Rework them for the next two hundred years, not the previous two hundred.

Also, in other news, old people voting on things they can’t live to see really annoys me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I was wondering what was going on then see that he's presenting a show on Press TV and linking to it and Press TV from that account. I wonder if that's the reason twitter are saying he's Iran state-affiliated media? If it is maybe he'll figure it out eventually.

I might not agree with all of the twitter media labelling but wow.

People are trying to help him understand.

• Upvote 1

On 24/06/2022 at 22:52, Section_31 said:

I used to think that, he definitely was when he stood for the leadership twelve years ago but imo he's got far more kudos than someone like Streeting. Burhams served in government under Blair and Brown and is a previous cabinet minister..added to this stint as Manc Mayor hes probably the more experienced than any of the other contenders.

I'm possibly looking at him through rose tinted glasses though because I'm not all fussed on the other candidates. If it was up to me I'd have him take over tomorrow.

17 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We need somebody that isn’t scared to do what’s necessary to make their party become the party of serious modernisation. That’s what we need going forward, so much of the debate takes place based on old ideas and old terminology. Something needs to give, and we need to pull these things apart at the seams. Rework them for the next two hundred years, not the previous two hundred.

Also, in other news, old people voting on things they can’t live to see really annoys me. 

Well the martyrs of the past couple of hundred years brought us the Labour movement that took children out of the workhouse, gave us workers rights, unions, a free health service, equal rights for women, stopped gays and lesbians living a life of fear and abolished slavery. 

As for this next 200 years you speak of I'm don't where you think we should go or what gains you think we should make . Im more concerned over the dangers we face losing the hard fought advances our forefathers provided us with.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Well the martyrs of the past couple of hundred years brought us the Labour movement that took children out of the workhouse, gave us workers rights, unions, a free health service, equal rights for women, stopped gays and lesbians living a life of fear and abolished slavery. 

As for this next 200 years you speak of I'm don't where you think we should go or what gains you think we should make . Im more concerned over the dangers we face losing the hard fought advances our forefathers provided us with.

Well, I certainly hope he doesn’t stand on a ‘don’t put children back in the workhouse’ and ‘keep slavery abolished’ agenda. Your concerns aren’t necessarily the concerns of people who are going to be left behind both now and in the coming years. 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Tell me more about a progressive alliance. You think Lib Dems can be trusted? She doesn’t want to bring in the army to break a strike, but we should bring in the army to break a strike…

Gah, I’m not ashamed of myself for wanting to do what it takes to get rid of these Tories. A clip of one MP saying a thing isn’t going to make me feel ashamed about wanting to end this government and put Labour back in power, even if the junior party isn’t entirely perfect in every way. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, I certainly hope he doesn’t stand on a ‘don’t put children back in the workhouse’ and ‘keep slavery abolished’ agenda. Your concerns aren’t necessarily the concerns of people who are going to be left behind both now and in the coming years. 

What should this 200 year vision be then?