You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

35 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

tl;dr

I got as far as "raging" (which never happened) and "cherry-picking" (which is the exact opposite of what I was doing) and decided that I can spend my time better elsewhere.

You got shitty and cherry picked a general election (how is excluding his worst result the 'opposite' of cherry picking?). It's so silly. I'm not surprised, backing up what you say isn't really the TLW way. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Being a Starmer fan. It wasn't a dig. 

Since the local elections, I'm generally in favour of him getting the boot. I'm not so much a Starmer fan as a 'anybody who can get the Tories out' fan. I think Starmer is a decent bloke, I'm pretty sure he'd be a way better PM than he currently is as leader of a party trying to win a popularity contest, but I also don't think Labour are anywhere near far enough ahead in the polls. If there's somebody within Labour that can do better, I actively would like him to get kicked out of the position as soon as possible before it's too late to do it. There's probably a 3-6 month period before it's too late to change.

For some reason a few of the mouth breathers on here has positioned me to be some Starmer super fan. It's just that I've acknowledge that he's seems like a good bloke and has intelligence (which there's plenty of evidence for and not believing it would be borderline delusional) - and that I'm not willing to make shit up about broken pledges and other such nonsense about witch hunts, etc - that has lead to Gnasher's talk of him being 'my guru', but I'm far left of him and also Corbyn on a lot of issues, and probably left of most on here, but we just don't live in this magical world where my left wing agenda is going to get any traction with the British public so I need to be realistic and settle for 'get the Tories out', a job at which he is doing little more than 'moderately acceptable' at the moment. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Since the local elections, I'm generally in favour of him getting the boot. I'm not so much a Starmer fan as a 'anybody who can get the Tories out' fan. I think Starmer is a decent bloke, I'm pretty sure he'd be a way better PM than he currently is as leader of a party trying to win a popularity contest, but I also don't think Labour are anywhere near far enough ahead in the polls. If there's somebody within Labour that can do better, I actively would like him to get kicked out of the position as soon as possible before it's too late to do it. There's probably a 3-6 month period before it's too late to change.

For some reason a few of the mouth breathers on here has positioned me to be some Starmer super fan. It's just that I've acknowledge that he's seems like a good bloke and has intelligence (which there's plenty of evidence for and not believing it would be borderline delusional) - and that I'm not willing to make shit up about broken pledges and other such nonsense about witch hunts, etc - that has lead to Gnasher's talk of him being 'my guru', but I'm far left of him and also Corbyn on a lot of issues, and probably left of most on here, but we just don't live in this magical world where my left wing agenda is going to get any traction with the British public so I need to be realistic and settle for 'get the Tories out', a job at which he is doing little more than 'moderately acceptable' at the moment. 

Good post. Fully agree with the bold bit. 

Who would you have in? 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Good post. Fully agree with the bold bit. 

Who would you have in? 

This is the big question, mate. I genuinely don't see much in Labour that gets me excited. There's Burnham, who I don't think will do too well with the wider population, couldn't beat either of the Milibands, and would set the teeth of the Blairites on edge, then there's *hold back the laughter* Streeting who has clearly been positioning himself as the next leader, but would drive the left of the party into the sea. There's 'vette, who is more of a centrist (read 'horrid right winger') so wouldn't be accepted. Outside of that... pft, Clive Lewis? No chance. I've always been impressed by Lisa Nandy. I think she's passionate and bright but she's also pragmatic, but couldn't challenge Long-Bailey (who is just awfully shit). Thing is, I just don't know how to balance what Labour want with what the British public want. The British public a in full self-sabotage mode, with Brexit and this Tory CUNT in no 10. In short, I'm fucked if I know.

Giv' it Giggseh. 

If there's nobody that comes forward, there's little Labour are going to be able to do than hope Starmer can get a coalition, then do a good job and win the election after. I dunno, it's fucking wank. They're all wank. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This is the big question, mate. I genuinely don't see much in Labour that gets me excited. There's Burnham, who I don't think will do too well with the wider population, couldn't beat either of the Milibands, and would set the teeth of the Blairites on edge, then there's *hold back the laughter* Streeting who has clearly been positioning himself as the next leader, but would drive the left of the party into the sea. There's 'vette, who is more of a centrist (read 'horrid right winger') so wouldn't be accepted. Outside of that... pft, Clive Lewis? No chance. I've always been impressed by Lisa Nandy. I think she's passionate and bright but she's also pragmatic, but couldn't challenge Long-Bailey (who is just awfully shit). Thing is, I just don't know how to balance what Labour want with what the British public want. The British public a in full self-sabotage mode, with Brexit and this Tory CUNT in no 10. In short, I'm fucked if I know.

Giv' it Giggseh. 

If there's nobody that comes forward, there's little Labour are going to be able to do than hope Starmer can get a coalition, then do a good job and win the election after. I dunno, it's fucking wank. They're all wank. 

Yvette Cooper? She’s win an election. She’s piss a lot of Labour off though but seeing her cut through the tories like a hot knife through butter is always fun 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Yvette Cooper? She’s win an election. She’s piss a lot of Labour off though but seeing her cut through the tories like a hot knife through butter is always fun 

I just don’t think she’d ever win a leadership race, so it’s basically shit out of luck. I can’t see it being anyone else but Starmer. Hopefully the manifesto is a good one with genuinely forward thinking policies and not beholden to pre-pandemic thinking. 

10 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I just don’t think she’d ever win a leadership race, so it’s basically shit out of luck. I can’t see it being anyone else but Starmer. Hopefully the manifesto is a good one with genuinely forward thinking policies and not beholden to pre-pandemic thinking. 

Shame because she’s the most capable of getting this shower out. 

Pickard of the FT can see it coming, will Labour? Or is Labours Rachael Reeves, the  shadow chancellor about to be trumped by Sunak again and turn a victory into a lose? Why Labour are not putting forward the argument for renationalising energy is boggling, its got the support of the majority of the country 

Labour should push for proportional representation. Is it more interested in its own power like the tories. The country is fucked. I know so many people who don't bother voting because its a safe seat or whoever they vote for doesn't win anyway. I really wish Labour with other parties would massively push for proportional representation and start the whole new propaganda machine of its time to clean out the swamp, no matter what the tories say clean out the swamp, make corruption dirt sleaze part of every single sentence you connect to the tories, the cunts blow their own trumpet enough it sticks "good with the economy" never been true. Play their game their fucking cunts it should be shouted from the roof tops every day, Labour ain't winning shit anyway.

I'm just fed the fuck up.

27 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

They should really go all out for a revolutionary change to the way democracy works in the UK. Proper PR, shake up Lords. 

Speaking from experience, it's not a big vote winner. Just saying. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Speaking from experience, it's not a big vote winner. Just saying. 

PR? Well, you got in that time; it was just for some strange reason many Labour voters didn't think it went far enough, so voted against it, and Tories didn't want it at all so voted against it. Fucking dogshit half measure, it seems. 

59 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

They should really go all out for a revolutionary change to the way democracy works in the UK. Proper PR, shake up Lords. 

I've said this before, but I want a separation of the Executive from the Legislative branches. Let's actually have an elected Prime Minister.

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've said this before, but I want a separation of the Executive from the Legislative branches. Let's actually have an elected Prime Minister.

Yeah, it’s been rickety for a while but these last years, since Brexit really, it has been so far over the line. If you can trust ministers to act within a sensible code and resign if they done, then it just about stands up, but this is crazy. It’s fucking insane. Cameron - even fucking Cameron - resigned with some sort of integrity when they lost the Brexit vote, but May and Johnson have been absolutely fucking vile and even May thinks Boris should fuck off. This is bullshit. 

The media needs some sort of accountability beyond what is currently there. The politicians taking donations and turning around and giving contracts to people is a problem on both sides. It’s a big problem and, if we actually pretend we care about democracy, we must do something about it, and there’s only one party which can. 

Still, I’ll settle for an end of this utter wank.