You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Andy Burnham although I agree the pond is very shallow, the torys have the same problem. I know Burnham go beat by Miliband but that was a while ago and he seems to have politically matured now.

I like Burnham but the likes of the mail would destroy him and middle England despises him

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Turnout is often lower in local elections though. What amazes me is the disconnect between how much people say they hate the Tories and the lack of subsequent activism. The Labour Party struggle to find candidates for elections for local council seats. People seem to want to post “all tories are cunts” then go back to watching Sky sports and reality tv. Meanwhile the Tories with a much smaller membership base than Labour carry on as the most successful (in terms of years in office) political party in Europe. It’s beer and circuses. If you hate the tories that much, get out and knock on doors, deliver leaflets etc. 

I think you probally have a much vaster number of people who have no interest in politics but will simply go out and vote tory.

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

And the idea he’d unite the Labour party is far from a given either. 

I genuinely don't think anyone could.They are too split.

How do you unite a left leaning Pro union type from say Liverpool and a red wall type from Stoke who is mainly concerned about immigration?

22 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, some say that it's not possible. Like me, on here, loads of times. I was more thinking about you saying he would a page or two back. 

I think out of the candidates he's probably got the best chance, I believe he's pretty much in the center of the Labour party and I don't think he has many enemies on either the left or right, his time as mayor also distanced him a little from the squabbling that's been rife in the parliamentary party recently. Burnham also has the benefit of being in the Brown  government and is more experienced than Streeting.

Mentioned her a few times but what are people's opinions on Yvette Cooper as Labour leader? I absolutely love seeing her rip them to shreds in the select committee and in the commons. She doesn't fuck about when it comes to detail and they absolutely despise engaging with her. I reckon Johnson would simply refuse, go and mumble his way into a fridge and send James Cleverly out to get fucking crucified by her. 

2 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I like Burnham but the likes of the mail would destroy him and middle England despises him

Burnhams done OK winning over the Mancs and Labour did well in London so  judging by the piss poor Labour performance in places like Bolton, Sheffield, Sunderland, Hartlepool etc I'd have thought winning back the Midlands and the North should be Labours primary concern. Wes Streeting will struggle to win a vote north of Watford.

Lab/Con/Lib Dems lost seats in North, Greens gained,

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Mentioned her a few times but what are people's opinions on Yvette Cooper as Labour leader? I absolutely love seeing her rip them to shreds in the select committee and in the commons. She doesn't fuck about when it comes to detail and they absolutely despise engaging with her. I reckon Johnson would simply refuse, go and mumble his way into a fridge and send James Cleverly out to get fucking crucified by her. 

Miles better than Streeting.

3 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Well balanced tweet from The Spectator journalist about an article in The Sunday Times.

Just missed out Islington intelligentsia for the full rabid Daily Mail bingo. 

He probably doesn't like him because he's his antithesis. Much the way Pablo Escobar wouldn't like Judge Dredd.

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He probably doesn't like him because he's his antithesis. Much the way Pablo Escobar wouldn't like Judge Dredd.

“The raw instincts of the vast majority of British people” doing a lot of heavy lifting there, seeing as the #backboris brigade are happy for a true British institution like the RNLI to be targeted by headbangers. 

For all his faults, Starmer’s no bluffer like Johnson.

But as the BBC Breakfast segment from Pendle, Lancs yesterday highlighted, people (in this case a group of women) still

think Johnson is a character, and the guy interviewed said the cost of living crisis meant he’d cut his golf club membership from 7 days to 5! 

That’s what Starmer’s up against. 

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

200,000 willing members have been told to fuck off.. that's also 200,000 lost votes plus I guess these people's family and friends will do as Reeves said and steer clear of the Labour Party.

Here she is pitching for votes in Yorkshire, the results were unsurprisingly dire.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/rachel-reeves-says-she-is-pleased-jeremy-corbyn-is-not-prime-minister-3667288

Another set of loyal voters giving Labour the swerve,  listening to shit Reeves, Akehurst, Streeting, Jess Phillpps and Co have spouted these past couple years who can blame them?

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Hmm? Don't sound good.

ont 

Well seeing as the Tories had such a shit local elections it's quite clear he's meeting with the IRA and Hamas to discuss supplying them with nuclear weapons. 

9 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I genuinely don't think anyone could.They are too split.

How do you unite a left leaning Pro union type from say Liverpool and a red wall type from Stoke who is mainly concerned about immigration?

I think it's harder than ever, due to the polarised nature of all political discourse these days. It's not just a Labour Party phenomenon: it's everywhere.  Any willingness to compromise or focus on any areas of agreement gets shouted down. It's all about the drama and never about what's the best way to improve things. 

I blame the other lot.

all political parties should be abolished imo.  Its become far too entrenched which makes it worthless. The worst human in the world could be in charge of the Tories or labour and you would still ahve people voting for them because thats what they traditionally do and/or refuse to vote for anyone else.   Its fucking pointless.  Time for everyone to be an independent and they are voted for their campaign & not just what party they belong too.

And here it is, right here, the reason we're doomed to Tory rule forever...

SCOOP: Labour Party staff were drunk at the Starmer curry and beer gathering in Durham, a person familiar with what happened that night told Playbook. They said that some junior staffers present “were p*ssed and obviously weren’t working so I remember thinking: why are they here?” The Leader of the Opposition’s Office (LOTO) and the Labour Party did not deny the claim when given multiple opportunities by Playbook on Sunday. Mary Foy, the Labour MP whose office the events took place in and whose staff attended, did not respond to a request for comment. The suggestion that people present during the takeaway and beer session were drunk casts doubt on whether the event was reasonably necessary for campaign purposes, as the law required.

Just pull ranks, shut the fuck up and follow the Tories lead on airing dirty laundry you utter fucking morons.

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Corbyn threatened to increase taxes for the super rich. They spent two years smearing him. 

Two weeks ago Starmer said he will banish 'non-dom' tax avoidance.............

I thought it was pretty poorly thought out and reactive to the chancellor’s wife rather than a good political move. Not saying it’s not the right thing to do, but not smart.