You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Weird one, without reading the details, is Unite basically strong-arming the national Labour party itself into making Coventry's Labour councillors make a decision in their members' favour? A slippery slope to be sure. 

"There will be no Labour politician in the Midlands or party office who will get one single penny from my members or any practical support of any kind while this strike is going ahead."

Woah there nelly. 

Coventry was Britain's city of culture last year, on the news all the time, Pauline Black of the Selector and a girl in an all in one on a horse replicating lady godiva and such stuff. Nothing at all to do with the bins not being collected, (as far as I know) just thought I'd mention it.

It's really bizarre and shows Unite in a bad light IMO. The Labour party doesn't (nor should it) control Labour councils. They're there to serve their constituents regardless of their political hue.

As I say, I don't know the ins and outs, but some councils are good and some are shite, it depends on the individual leaders and other personalities involved rather than their politics for the most part.

Say a council cuts someone's pay or cuts jobs to balance the books after being bummed by austerity, then Unite threatens to pull the plug on funding/campaigning, Starmer gets on the blower and says to the council leader 'I don't care where you find the money, just find it'. Where does that end? How is that constitutional if the council has to use 

its council tax - the council tax of all the people living there, not just Labour/union members - to keep the council going?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 08/02/2022 at 22:03, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, the guy shouting at him for not representing the working class, asking if 'this is the Labour party...' is deffo a Tory. Not 100% sure it's worth debating. I could go on twitter and find countless examples, but they wouldn't count either. As I've said before, it's not really about reality, it's about the version of events you want to be true. It's Trump supporters, British branch. 

Fuck me, you're desperate. 

There is literally nothing to suggest that anyone in that video was anything but conspiracy-fuelled anti-vax cunts. But you - being oh-so-concerned with Labour Party unity - decide to ignore reality and blame the left. 

Tragi-comic.

• Downvote 2

A bit more background. 

I live and work in Coventry. I’m proud to raise my family here and call this city my home. But I’ve also been on strike since January, and I need to tell you why.

I’m a licensed HGV driver at the council, responsible for removing the rubbish. It’s demanding work, but I take real pride in helping to look after our city.

For this, our rate starts just above £11 per hour and heads to just over £14 per hour after many years of service. It’s a far cry from what the council claims we’re paid – at one point, the council was claiming we were earning £52,163 a year! – and well below what is being paid to workers brought in, disgracefully, to break the strike.

Like everybody, I’ve got a mortgage to pay and bills that keep rising. Even with my wife and I both working, we are really struggling and with soaring energy bills, rocketing inflation and a tax rise in April, we’ve got nothing more to cut back on. Work at this council simply does not pay, and that is not right. 

My colleagues feel the same. They love their city, and are so proud of the jobs they do, but their families are suffering. They struggle to meet their mortgages or rents, or heat their homes, and savings have disappeared.

From the start, Coventry Council has attacked us in the press. They’ve misled the public about a new offer that never materialised, have lied about us not attending ACAS talks and have hid behind a ‘job review’ in order to string out this dispute.

This is the stuff of Donald Trump conduct – smears and lies, dividing us from our neighbours, and from a Labour council, too. It is astonishing to see elected and highly paid Labour officials conduct themselves in this way, taking to Twitter to denounce its own workforce.

Sick to death of this trash talk, we’ve produced a document that we are calling ‘The Truth’, so that we can set the record straight in our community. Please do read it and make your own mind up.

Going out on strike is never an easy decision: it puts huge strain on our loved ones and is always a last resort. But when your skills are not recognised and you’re paid a pittance, there really is nothing to lose by taking a stand.

Coventry council will not pay us HGV drivers a proper rate for the job. They won’t even work with us to find a way forward.  Instead they’d rather waste taxpayers’ money hiring agency workers on £20 an hour to break our strike than get its own bin workers off breadline wages.

Council boss Martin Reeves takes home £229,000 in pay and pension. He’s not fretting 

about bills dropping on the mat. But me and my colleagues are, every minute of the day – and we refuse to live like this.

The Labour council at Coventry could end this strike now. Take a leaf out of Plymouth Council’s book. They worked with Unite to lift wages after recognising that HGV bin drivers have been underpaid and undervalued for years. We’re not asking for the moon, just a fair day’s wage and dignity at work.  Everyone can understand that.

Tonight, Wednesday 9th February, we will join an online rally with our general secretary Sharon Graham.  Sharon nailed it when she said that the council’s approach to this dispute is “shameful”. I urge Coventry councillors to tune in and hear for themselves the struggle this workforce has just to get by, then do the decent thing – get around the table and get this solved.

If you feel like we do – that no Labour council should be paying poverty wages – please join our rally, or head to unitetheunion.org/CovBinStrike to find out more.

https://labourlist.org/2022/02/stop-your-trash-talk-coventry-council-get-workers-off-breadline-wages/

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Denny Crane said:

A bit more background. 

I live and work in Coventry. I’m proud to raise my family here and call this city my home. But I’ve also been on strike since January, and I need to tell you why.

I’m a licensed HGV driver at the council, responsible for removing the rubbish. It’s demanding work, but I take real pride in helping to look after our city.

For this, our rate starts just above £11 per hour and heads to just over £14 per hour after many years of service. It’s a far cry from what the council claims we’re paid – at one point, the council was claiming we were earning £52,163 a year! – and well below what is being paid to workers brought in, disgracefully, to break the strike.

Like everybody, I’ve got a mortgage to pay and bills that keep rising. Even with my wife and I both working, we are really struggling and with soaring energy bills, rocketing inflation and a tax rise in April, we’ve got nothing more to cut back on. Work at this council simply does not pay, and that is not right. 

My colleagues feel the same. They love their city, and are so proud of the jobs they do, but their families are suffering. They struggle to meet their mortgages or rents, or heat their homes, and savings have disappeared.

From the start, Coventry Council has attacked us in the press. They’ve misled the public about a new offer that never materialised, have lied about us not attending ACAS talks and have hid behind a ‘job review’ in order to string out this dispute.

This is the stuff of Donald Trump conduct – smears and lies, dividing us from our neighbours, and from a Labour council, too. It is astonishing to see elected and highly paid Labour officials conduct themselves in this way, taking to Twitter to denounce its own workforce.

Sick to death of this trash talk, we’ve produced a document that we are calling ‘The Truth’, so that we can set the record straight in our community. Please do read it and make your own mind up.

Going out on strike is never an easy decision: it puts huge strain on our loved ones and is always a last resort. But when your skills are not recognised and you’re paid a pittance, there really is nothing to lose by taking a stand.

Coventry council will not pay us HGV drivers a proper rate for the job. They won’t even work with us to find a way forward.  Instead they’d rather waste taxpayers’ money hiring agency workers on £20 an hour to break our strike than get its own bin workers off breadline wages.

Council boss Martin Reeves takes home £229,000 in pay and pension. He’s not fretting 

about bills dropping on the mat. But me and my colleagues are, every minute of the day – and we refuse to live like this.

The Labour council at Coventry could end this strike now. Take a leaf out of Plymouth Council’s book. They worked with Unite to lift wages after recognising that HGV bin drivers have been underpaid and undervalued for years. We’re not asking for the moon, just a fair day’s wage and dignity at work.  Everyone can understand that.

Tonight, Wednesday 9th February, we will join an online rally with our general secretary Sharon Graham.  Sharon nailed it when she said that the council’s approach to this dispute is “shameful”. I urge Coventry councillors to tune in and hear for themselves the struggle this workforce has just to get by, then do the decent thing – get around the table and get this solved.

If you feel like we do – that no Labour council should be paying poverty wages – please join our rally, or head to unitetheunion.org/CovBinStrike to find out more.

https://labourlist.org/2022/02/stop-your-trash-talk-coventry-council-get-workers-off-breadline-wages/

Fucking skiver.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fuck me, you're desperate. 

There is literally nothing to suggest that anyone in that video was anything but conspiracy-fuelled anti-vax cunts. But you - being oh-so-concerned with Labour Party unity - decide to ignore reality and blame the left. 

Tragi-comic.

Except for those there talking about Labour, I agree. Which is to say, not at all. You don’t half chat some wham. Maybe cutting the cunty tone of your posts would lead to some interesting discussion. There’s really no need to get so defensive about the left and Corbyn. You’ve been doing it for years so I don’t expect it to change. Do try to simmer down a bit though. 

EDIT: Is that Labour unity comment aimed at being an accusation of hypocrisy? I have absolutely nothing to do with Labour. I'm not a member, I'm not a supporter, I don't campaign for them. There's only one reason I give a shit about them at all, and that's because they're currently the only party capable of leading another government that isn't the Tories. I don't care about unity between the current factions within the Labour party, in fact we just had a discussion about why I want Labour to split. It's not hypocrisy for me to call people out from the left of the Labour party. My views have no impact on the unity within Labour. As you say, desperate stuff.

• Upvote 1

A bit more background. 

Eloquently put. If what he says about Coventry councils actions in this strike its sadly indicative of many Labour run councils these days (Knowsley Council Front and Centre)!

• Upvote 1

A bit more background. 

Good luck brother.

On a separate point , concerning one of the points made above.

Sharon Graham is a trade union leader not a Labour politician and should only use member monies if it has a value to her union members , and has made this quite clear in her comments. We may have the ultimate schadenfreude of Starmer pining for Red Len back when he gets his next bank statements.

2 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

A bit more background. 

Fucking hell. I despair of the party sometimes now and wonder whether all the doorstepping I did in shitty weather at nights handing out leaflets and trying to get people out to vote was worth it.

It seem when a lot of people get into positions of power and responsibility, they forget their roots all too quickly.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Not my eloquent words but of a hardworking fella who highlights the circumstances. Strike pay more than doubled under Len McClusky during his time at Unite so at least those who feel they are left with no choice are in a better position than yesteryear.

Good luck Denny,

All Denys fault.

52 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Except for those there talking about Labour, I agree. Which is to say, not at all. You don’t half chat some wham. Maybe cutting the cunty tone of your posts would lead to some interesting discussion. There’s really no need to get so defensive about the left and Corbyn. You’ve been doing it for years so I don’t expect it to change. Do try to simmer down a bit though. 

One person mentioned Labour and the Working Class, because he was addressing the Labour Party leader. He also mentioned the New World Order, the Freemasons and the Constitution. (I think he may have been the one wrapped in a Canadian flag.) Even the people in politics and the media who usually take any opportunity to put the boot into the Left aren't stretching as far as to try pinning this on us: they know how daft that would be.

Tell me again who's chatting wham.

As for being "defensive" about Corbyn and the Labour left, I don't like lies. When people repeat lies and misrepresentations, I want to correct them.  The truth matters, whether it's about Heysel, Orgreave, Hillsborough or any other issue where lies have been repeated consistently enough to be accepted as truth. Since 2015, a lot of people have been obsessively making shit up about Corbyn and the left, so there was a lot that needed correcting.  (I spent a bit of time last night "getting defensive" about Willard & Stronts being misrepresented on the Zouma thread; maybe you can just dismiss me as one of those hobby, defensive Strontiumistas.)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

My mate, very active on social media, does regional stuff, got loads of people to join, helped them get party roles, runs loads of women’s groups and does loads more things that I can’t think of off the top of my head, all unpaid, has been suspended from the party for sharing a link to a socialism talking event featuring Corbyn, McDonnel, etc. 

If she loses her appeal I’m leaving too, I think. It’s not worth the aggro. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

One person mentioned Labour and the Working Class, because he was addressing the Labour Party leader. He also mentioned the New World Order, the Freemasons and the Constitution. (I think he may have been the one wrapped in a Canadian flag.) Even the people in politics and the media who usually take any opportunity to put the boot into the Left aren't stretching as far as to try pinning this on us: they know how daft that would be.

Tell me again who's chatting wham.

As for being "defensive" about Corbyn and the Labour left, I don't like lies. When people repeat lies and misrepresentations, I want to correct them.  The truth matters, whether it's about Heysel, Orgreave, Hillsborough or any other issue where lies have been repeated consistently enough to be accepted as truth. Since 2015, a lot of people have been obsessively making shit up about Corbyn and the left, so there was a lot that needed correcting.  (I spent a bit of time last night "getting defensive" about Willard & Stronts being misrepresented on the Zouma thread; maybe you can just dismiss me as one of those hobby, defensive Strontiumistas.)

Well, now I've heard it all. You had a chance to correct your own porky telling previously but you tried to weasel out of it. I think you're beyond reasoning, dear boy. As for telling you who is chatting wham, it's you. Constantly. When you start pretending to know the reason why somebody was mentioning Labour, you're straight into wham territory. 

Anyway, I don't see too much point in continuing taking personal jabs at each other. I'll happily reply to anything you've got to say that's on topic, if not then have at it. It's just a waste of time otherwise. 

53 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, now I've heard it all. You had a chance to correct your own porky telling previously but you tried to weasel out of it. I think you're beyond reasoning, dear boy. As for telling you who is chatting wham, it's you. Constantly. When you start pretending to know the reason why somebody was mentioning Labour, you're straight into wham territory. 

Anyway, I don't see too much point in continuing taking personal jabs at each other. I'll happily reply to anything you've got to say that's on topic, if not then have at it. It's just a waste of time otherwise. 

What "porky telling" you helmet?

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

My mate, very active on social media, does regional stuff, got loads of people to join, helped them get party roles, runs loads of women’s groups and does loads more things that I can’t think of off the top of my head, all unpaid, has been suspended from the party for sharing a link to a socialism talking event featuring Corbyn, McDonnel, etc. 

If she loses her appeal I’m leaving too, I think. It’s not worth the aggro. 

That doesn't make sense, McDonnell is still a Labour MP.

38 minutes ago, Strontium said:

That doesn't make sense, McDonnell is still a Labour MP.

You’re right, it doesn’t. She made two posts linking to the event in some Facebook group with ‘Socialist’ in its name. They’re the only two posts she ever made in the group and it was ages ago. 

Now she’s suspended. Work that out. Appears to me that they’re looking at Facebook groups, deciding which ones are ‘bad’ and suspending left wing members for fuck all. They’ve given screenshots of her ‘offence’ which was linking to the event on that page.