You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Ah, Mr Wakeford, lovely voting record you've got there. You want to sit as a Labour MP? Well, step this way.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25874/christian_wakeford/bury_south/votes 

Ah, Mr Corbyn, you want to sit as a Labour MP? Fuck off. 

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10133/jeremy_corbyn/islington_north/votes 

To be fair Corbyn has voted against a Labour Govt more than Wakeford has.

13 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I was just about to say something similar. I think Billy Bragg might have flirted with the far right when he was very young, too.

However, I think the question is more about a direct "crossing the floor" type of move. If Nick Griffin joined the Lib Dems tomorrow, you wouldn't be happy to see him get a candidacy in a winnable seat, would you? You'd surely suspect that he's no less of a cunt this week than he was last week.

Hmm, we're hardly talking about Nick Griffin here, are we. Wakeford was elected in 2019, which is more than enough time for him to decide that his voters' interests would be better served by another party.

12 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

article-2605635-0006207700000C1D-405_634

The Libs have never been particularly fussy about who they sat in parliament.

He's certainly a very good argument against accepting defectors from Labour.

3 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Hmm, we're hardly talking about Nick Griffin here, are we. Wakeford was elected in 2019, which is more than enough time for him to decide that his voters' interests would be better served by another party.

He's certainly a very good argument against accepting defectors from Labour.

Yet accept him you did.

Just now, Strontium said:

Yep, almost like we, and Labour, had no idea what he'd been up to. How dare we not be privy to things that nobody knew about.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51634431

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse criticised political groups for not acting on complaints.

It accused Lord Steel of an "abdication of responsibility" over accusations against the late MP Cyril Smith.

Lord Steel said he was quitting because he wanted to avoid "distress" for his family and "turmoil" for his party.

The former MP and MSP also said he was being made "a proxy for Cyril Smith", the former Rochdale MP who was investigated over allegations about the abuse of teenage boys in 1969.

Lord Steel had told the inquiry that he was made aware of the allegations against Smith 10 years later and "assumed" they were true, but said they were "nothing to do with me" because they predated Smith's time in parliament.

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse ( IICSA) report said that political institutions "regularly put their own reputations or political interests before child protection".

It said Lord Steel was "an example of a highly placed politician turning a blind eye to something that was potentially troublesome to his party, with no apparent regard for criminal acts which might have occurred or for any victims, past or future".

2 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51634431

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse criticised political groups for not acting on complaints.

It accused Lord Steel of an "abdication of responsibility" over accusations against the late MP Cyril Smith.

Lord Steel said he was quitting because he wanted to avoid "distress" for his family and "turmoil" for his party.

The former MP and MSP also said he was being made "a proxy for Cyril Smith", the former Rochdale MP who was investigated over allegations about the abuse of teenage boys in 1969.

Lord Steel had told the inquiry that he was made aware of the allegations against Smith 10 years later and "assumed" they were true, but said they were "nothing to do with me" because they predated Smith's time in parliament.

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse ( IICSA) report said that political institutions "regularly put their own reputations or political interests before child protection".

It said Lord Steel was "an example of a highly placed politician turning a blind eye to something that was potentially troublesome to his party, with no apparent regard for criminal acts which might have occurred or for any victims, past or future".

1979 was a different time, before we convicted people in the public eye on allegations alone.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Keir Starmer.

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

1979 was a different time, before we convicted people in the public eye on allegations alone.

Your leader assumed one his members was a pedophile and did nothing about it.

As I say, you're not too fussy about who you sit in Parliament.

3 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Irrelevant what the times were, you said you (the libs) had no idea what Cyril Smith had been up to..Polys post showed you lied.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Irrelevant what the times were, you said you (the libs) had no idea what Cyril Smith had been up to..Polys post showed you lied.

Erm, what. The allegations didn't surface until 1979, by which time he'd been in the party for a decade. Did you want David Steel to get in his time machine and stop Smith from joining?

And just to reiterate, I still have no idea what this has to do with Keir Starmer.

Genuinely bonkers that, given all that's happening in the country, I went on Twitter yesterday (I know) to see Momentum having a go at Starmer for ducking out of a commitment to nationalise the energy companies, then the likes of that Novara editor and Owen Jones fuming about this Tory who's jumped ship and, I dunno, expecting Labour/Starmer to have told him to get fucked? 

Still, even now, much of the ire seems reserved for him and the direction he's taking the top of the party, rather than the Tories. Amazing really, and I say that as someone who thinks Starmer is largely shite. 

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Genuinely bonkers that, given all that's happening in the country, I went on Twitter yesterday (I know) to see Momentum having a go at Starmer for ducking out of a commitment to nationalise the energy companies, then the likes of that Novara editor and Owen Jones fuming about this Tory who's jumped ship and, I dunno, expecting Labour/Starmer to have told him to get fucked? 

Still, even now, much of the ire seems reserved for him and the direction he's taking the top of the party, rather than the Tories. Amazing really, and I say that as someone who thinks Starmer is largely shite. 

I think it's more seeing a Tory with a wafer thin 400 majority who just voted for ID recognition at polling booths and recently the 20quid universal credit cut for what he is, a chancer.

On the plus side, he's bang on the button here,