You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Starmer should pick three tweets from people who observed the rules while they lost love ones who died alone and read them before calling on him to resign.

I think the problem with asking for his resignation, and it will come, is that he's doing so much damage to The Tory brand that's it's worthwhile letting it run and run as there'll be another scandal, or dereliction of duty, cronyism case around the corner. 

You need the toxicity to stick and hang around like a bad smell.

Allowing a fresh face to take over now allows them off the hook and they can put it all on Johnson.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think the problem with asking for his resignation, and it will come, is that he's doing so much damage to The Tory brand that's it's worthwhile letting it run and run as there'll be another scandal, or dereliction of duty, cronyism case around the corner. 

Allowing a fresh face to take over now allows them off the hook and they can put it all on Johnson.

I think that was always the plan from the Tory side.

Johnson isn't smart enough to hold a whole party in his iron grip the way it's presented, instead, they've let him be the fall guy for all the shit that could go wrong, be it Brexit or pandemic.

When things settle they'll oust him and a new broom will sweep clean.

That's why you always get the impression the likes of Javed is less fulsome in his loyalty than the likes of Patel and Raab are, because he's not brain dead enough to not know the writing is on the wall. The latter two are bona fide simpletons.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Not sure Spanner understands how popular Johnson is in parts of the country and with blue rinse tory voters, he walked the tory leadership contest, won the role as London mayor and won the last election. Its preposterous but a lot of people get taken in by a 'recognisable off beat character', and Johnsons carefully carved out that image.

32 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Not sure Spanner understands how popular Johnson is in parts of the country and with blue rinse tory voters, he walked the tory leadership contest, won the role as London mayor and won the last election. Its preposterous but a lot of people get taken in by a 'recognisable off beat character', and Johnsons carefully carved out that image.

Fair points but I don't think Johnson has carefully carved out anything. He has the attention span of a four year old and lumbers from one crisis to the next . Not going to change and as sure as sun rises in the morning the party grandees will tap him on the shoulder at some point. The debate is when not if . By election coming soon so lets see what that brings. The shit is starting to stick to the wall .

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Good job it's not the general public who choose the Tory leader then, right?

The 22 Committee and the upper echelons of the Tory Party are aware Johnson walked their leadership election and delivered an 80 seat majority, its unfathomable to us but hes been a vote winner, this should change that but we'll see.

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Blackford straight in there with a Glasgow Kiss. Unfortunately not a real one.

He was raging, more than usual. I reckon he'd do some damage to that whole front bench on his own. Swig of bucky and steam in "come on te fuck" bang bang 

He's even worse than I thought he'd be. 

I never though he'd make for a good political speaker particularly in the Commons, his speech pattern and tone completely ill-suited for that environment, and with no other superficial redeeming features he's a hard sell to the general public.  But I didn't necessarily think his content (or lack of, and lack of back bone) would be a problem too.  I just don't see any capability in him for his current role, what does he offer?

Just watching Starmer in PMQs. 

He shouldn't have initially limited his demands to just asking for an apology, but I reckon he did okay in PMQs. The bit about Tricia and her mum was quite powerful. Even the Ant & Dec bit was okay. 

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson was chuntering away like a man who was struggling under immense pressure. The hair on the fucking bad meff too. Cut with a knife and fork, that. 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Just watching Starmer in PMQs. 

He shouldn't have initially limited his demands to just asking for an apology, but I reckon he did okay in PMQs. The bit about Tricia and her mum was quite powerful. Even the Ant & Dec bit was okay. 

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson was chuntering away like a man who was struggling under immense pressure. The hair on the fucking bad meff too. Cut with a knife and fork, that. 

I think it's a deliberate policy to keep him in the firing line. Think Bruce mentioned it elsewhere but by not demanding resignations it keeps all these stories on the front pages. A new leadership and they can make these go away like they usually do.