You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

8 hours ago, Anubis said:

From Politico. I've highlighted the depressing parts. Even in Esher, where Johnson isn't popular, Starmer is not liked.

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/crime-day-whatsappening-boris-keir-focus-group-special/

FOCUS GROUP SPECIAL

In the red and blue corners: Much of Tory conference this week has been about the nebulous concepts of the red wall and leveling up, which are always viewed through a very skeptical eye in Westminster — so it’s probably worth seeing what actual voters think. Kekst CNC’s James Johnson, a former aide to Theresa May, conducted two recent focus groups: one in red wall Blyth Valley, where Ian Levy is the first Tory MP to represent the constituency since it was established in 1950, and one in blue wall Esher and Walton, where Dominic Raab faces the very real prospect of losing his seat to the Lib Dems. In Blyth, James spoke to working class voters who voted Tory for the first time in 2019, and in Esher he talked to more affluent voters who backed the Tories at the last election but are now undecided about how to vote next time round. Playbook brings you the very interesting findings …

Blyth backing Boris: Blyth Tory voters saw Boris Johnson as a strongman leader in 2019, James Johnson says, and while the focus group did start to raise concerns about his competence, overall they still gave him the benefit of the doubt despite his handling of the multiple crises in recent months. Here’s what they thought of the PM: “Bumbling … Scruffy looking … Comical … Likeable … He’s been dealt a bad hand … He was damned if he did and he was damned if he didn’t … Well, he said he’d get Brexit done and he did … I just, I like him.”

Esher not sure: More worryingly for the Tories — and Raab in particular — the focus group in the middle class Brexit-skeptic blue wall seat of Esher and Walton was much less positive on Johnson. “A bit of a bumbling buffoon, to be honest, I think there was a lot of bravado, a lot of showmanship and the substance isn’t there … A lot of waffle and really incapable of really leading. Where is the statesmanship these days? … He tries but he’s a but fluffy around the edges … Lack of statesmanship … What is the great saying? Is it lions led by a donkey or something? Soldiers led by a donkey, he’s out of his depth I think.”

Starmer struggling: Labour strategists will be concerned to read their leader Keir Starmer does not appear to be making inroads on the personality front. In red wall Blyth, the focus group was brutal: “I think untrustworthy, there’s something about him not right. He just seems sleazy … I’ve got to admit, I don’t know a lot about him to be honest. I know the name, I know the face a little bit but I can’t really comment too much as I don’t know owt about him … He seems a bit out of touch and just a bit smarmy … I don’t have a clue really who he is … He doesn’t kind of represent the normal working man … They’re not for the normal working class people anymore, they really aren’t … Labour can’t be trusted with the economy simple.”

It wasn’t much better in blue wall Esher: “I don’t think he’s a strong enough leader as he’s just not giving clear direction, giving clear plans as to what he would do if he was running the country … I think he’s a very good opposition, somebody who is critiquing the government but he’s not really bringing new ideas and policies forward … I think he lacks any real conviction and the inability to really gel the party together behind him, and there still seems to be a lot of fractions … I can’t stand him … I couldn’t name anything Labour is standing for or talking about.”

What about leveling up? The Blyth focus group goes some way to explaining why Downing Street are so bullish about their new strategy of forging a dividing line between themselves and Labour on higher wages versus higher immigration. Is immigration important? “Yeah, yeah, yes … It needs sorted out. Definitely.” Will it inform how people vote? “I think it will … Yeah I think it would … Yeah, yeah. I would certainly listen to everybody’s views on it.” Are the Tories or Labour better on immigration? “Conservative … Labour want open borders didn’t it … Yeah the same … I would say Conservative … Yeah, Conservative.”

Net zero a concern: Less good news for No. 10 on its net-zero climate change plan. Those in the Blyth group were strongly opposed: “It’s lunacy. We produce 1 percent of the global emissions and you’ve got countries like China just putting up coal power stations left, right and center … It seems unfair doesn’t like? … It’s unachievable … What changes would you need to make within your home to accommodate a new heating system? What funding is going to be available to do that, if you’ve just had a gas boiler put in in the last six months, if that’s going to be a five-year plan. You want a boiler for 10 years, don’t you? So I want someone to tell me I’m not paying anything to take my boiler out and put a new one in if that’s the case … We voted for a Conservative government and it seems like we are getting a Green party.”

Esher wasn’t that keen either: “It’s unaffordable now and it is going to go up because of all the changes … Pay much more tax on certain items … What they should do is they should incentive greener choices.”

So how would they vote? In Blyth, all six swing voters said they would stick with the Tories. In Esher, three said they would stick with the Tories, the other three said Liberal Democrat. But in a choice of prime minister, things were tighter. Again in Blyth, all chose Johnson. In Esher, four of the six chose Johnson while two chose Starmer.

If you want to hear more … Kekst CNC and Conservatives in Comms are hosting a fringe event at 1 p.m. in Charter 3 in the main conference center, where videos of the two focus groups will be shown in full. The event will be chaired by Sascha O’Sullivan with James Johnson, Lia Nici MP, former May director of communications Robbie Gibb and Tory red wall wonk David Skelton. It looks like the best and most unique event on public opinion at conference, with the audience able to watch the properly researched views of voters unfiltered. Well worth your time.

I bow down to very few people in my dislike for Starmer but fuck me what is going on with these fucking cretins.

11 hours ago, Iceman said:

Tried to tell you this guy is a massive flange artist. 

Surely that's a good thing? (being a flange artist not starmer) 

A bit like me calling Carmen Electras son a "motherfucker" err yeah wouldn't you? 

*She has no children but that's beside the point. 

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Another day, another Jewish activist being harassed by Starmer's party apparatus.

Were any Jewish activists hounded by the party this way in the supposed dark days under the previous leader?

Very damning indictment of the weaponising of anti-semitism. Anyone who uses it as a tool to attack/defend knowing full well there is no anti-semitism there is a fucking cunt. Defeats the object of the battle all humanitarians are trying to fight against all forms of racism and oppression including vile anti-semites. 

But of-course, I'm sure it will be twisted by the usual suspects. 

13 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Surely that's a good thing? (being a flange artist not starmer) 

A bit like me calling Carmen Electras son a "motherfucker" err yeah wouldn't you? 

*She has no children but that's beside the point. 

How did you make the leap from flange to shagging your mum? 

You get the feeling this country will blow big soon. Corbyn's labour was sort of like a pressure valve which made people think there was somewhere else to turn, but now you've got Johnson running wild and Starmer wagging his finger. The despondency will become rage and the rage will need an outlet.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

You get the feeling this country will blow big soon. Corbyn's labour was sort of like a pressure valve which made people think there was somewhere else to turn, but now you've got Johnson running wild and Starmer wagging his finger. The despondency will become rage and the rage will need an outlet.

Yep.

People can only take so much. Civil unrest is bound to start sooner or later. I just hope people don't get hurt when it  does blow.

Very worrying times.

Feel like that has been said for a while now and nothing has really happened. I get that everyone has their limits but at the same time it doesn't really seem to be in our nature to actually do anything. Too many distractions/misdirections as well.

14 minutes ago, Gooch said:

Too many distractions/misdirections as well.

This.

People are angry, but most of them are effectively herded into being angry at the wrong people. (e.g. in a recent survey of who was to blame for the fuel crisis, about 1/3 mentioned the last Labour Government.) There's a reason why the right-wing rags constantly bang the drum against immigrants, refugees, the "woke brigade" and the EU.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

5 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Yep.

People can only take so much. Civil unrest is bound to start sooner or later. I just hope people don't get hurt when it  does blow.

Very worrying times.

I think the level of apathy is too high for any large-scale unrest.

6 hours ago, Section_31 said:

You mean... we might get decent music for the first time since the early 90s?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I think the level of apathy is too high for any large-scale unrest.

I dunno. I've said a few times that IMO there's a fine balancing act when it comes to living it large while other people struggle, if you push it too far with the let them eat cake stuff you end up with guillotines, that's why our Earls and Dukes wander around in Barbour jackets pretending to be broke, rather than wearing fur coats and gems as they parade down the street in full view. They keep their excesses largely obscured and try to keep you placated that one day it could be you if you play the game. 

These clowns though, they're too thick and brazen to keep the facade up. They're dancing at conferences and embracing corruption in full view of everyone while shelves are empty, boilers are being turned off and people are smacking each other on forecourts. It's doable when you're only pulverizing the voiceless, like people on benefits, but it's spreading to the man in the street.

That stuff seeps in, drip drip. It will blow big time. 

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The replies. This is what Starmer has to contend with. 

Yeah the vast. vast majority are warm, decent replies, I'm sure that's what you meant and not a few wanker replies here and there as with most blue tick tweets. Nice of him to actually mention the departed man in his tweet though. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah the vast. vast majority are warm, decent replies, I'm sure that's what you meant and not a few wanker replies here and there as with most blue tick tweets. Nice of him to actually mention the departed man in his tweet though. 

You must be seeing different replies to me. Try looking at the ones with most likes.