You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

35 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

So, when's the Starmer and Whoever-is-Shadow-Chancellor banner coming out?

Screenshot_2021-10-04-11-50-01-03_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

Whilst the rest of the country cheer on a callous lying cunt who would rather see bodies piled high than have another lockdown, we are the only club in the country to celebrate a man who has more decency in his little finger than the whole cabinet put together.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

Whilst the rest of the country cheer on a callous lying cunt who would rather see bodies piled high than have another lockdown, we are the only club in the country to celebrate a man who has more decency in his little finger than the whole cabinet put together.

What I like best about that banner is the linking of political leaders with justice campaigns. It makes it clear that it's not (as dickheads like to claim) a personality cult: it's about being on the side of ordinary people when they are attacked by establishment power. Stand with us and we will stand with you.

Starmer has picked a side, and it's not our side.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Criticise Starmer all you want, but let's not pretend this is unique to him. Abbott wrote an article for it, Miliband posed for photos with it and even St Jeremy was pictured buying a copy. 

"St Jeremy".

You know what I just said about dickheads pretending it's a personality cult...

Nobody is pretending that it's just Starmer. People rightly slated Blair, Brown and Milliband for cosying up to the Scum.  If any other Labour leader had written for the rag, they would have got the exact same criticism.

28 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Criticise Starmer all you want, but let's not pretend this is unique to him. Abbott wrote an article for it, Miliband posed for photos with it and even St Jeremy was pictured buying a copy. 

There was only ever going to be one poster to point this out.

It doesn't matter who it is, if they deserve criticism, they get criticised and as a member of the Labour party, I reserve the right to do so.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I assume most leaders have to keep on top of what newspapers are saying about them. In view of his support for the Justice campaign and the tenet of his politics do you seriously think he takes the rag for enjoyment.

I have no excuses for Abbott or Ed if they did do stuff with the rag and they should rightly be criticised.

I'm not clicking on the link but seeing as the lying point scoring tit wants to open his  trap he might wanna acknowledge this. Fucking blert 

8 Jan 2021 — LIB DEM leader Ed Davey has signed up to become a Sun Jabs Army volunteer - and urged others to roll their sleeves up too.
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Wasnt it mainly under corbyn they dissociated themselves from it?

Certainly didnt happen under blair or brown.

22 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I believe it was, but once it happened it should have stayed that way.

Blair sucked up and the "boycott" from Labour started in 2009, once the rag had announced its support for the Tories

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/sep/30/the-tony-ripped-up-labour

I remember specifically being upset by the hypocrisy from leading Labour members lining up to slag the rag after spending years either sucking up or saying nothing. 

Tony Woodley rips up the Sun

A copy of the Sun was torn in half on the platform of the Labour conference today as a succession of senior party figures condemned the paper after it declared that it was backing the Tories.

Tony Woodley, the joint general secretary of Unite, received a standing ovation from the conference as he attacked the paper's owner, Rupert Murdoch, and said the Sun had never supported progressive values.

Miliband was forced to apologise for having his photo taken with the rag in 2014, let's see what Starmer does going forward;

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27829958

Ed Miliband has apologised for any offence caused after he posed with a copy of the Sun newspaper.

The Labour leader was pictured holding a special edition of the paper which was sent to millions of homes free to mark the start of the World Cup.

Labour MPs have criticised their leader for associating himself with the paper, which has long been criticised for its reporting of the Hillsborough disaster.

Mr Miliband said he "understood the anger" felt on Merseyside about it.

Groups representing victims and survivors of the 1989 tragedy expressed anger at Mr Miliband's actions, one describing them as an "absolute disgrace".

Being overly cynical and bitter, Starmers actions seem to be an ideal way to get any remaining lefties from the horrible Labour supporting North West to leave the party. I know if I am not satisfied with his response I will be leaving the party this week. 

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Watch the Tories interviewed on that short clip. Not one of them gives a sliver of a fuck because they know full well nothing will happen. 

Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson were on BBC saying everything's OK, because they carried out all the compliance checks required by the laws written by Labour.

The snide implication, of course, is that if there's anything wrong with the regulation regime it's Labour's fault, because there's nothing the Tories - who have been in power for 11 years, starting in the wake of the global financial crash and spanning the release of the Panama Papers and the Paradise Papers - could possibly have done.

Just found this from January 2020, I imagine this will be the official justification that he didn't break any promises;

https://labourlist.org/2020/01/members-left-uncertain-over-starmer-stance-on-the-sun/

Members left uncertain over Starmer’s stance on The Sun

At the first of the leadership hustings events in Liverpool this morning, the candidate stated: “I certainly won’t be giving any interviews to The Sun during the course of this campaign.”

Later, the Holborn and St Pancras MP sat down in conversation with commentator and former Labour adviser Ayesha Hazarika at the Fabian Society’s 2020 New Year conference.

Hazarika suggested that Starmer would need the support of Sun readers to become Prime Minister. Pushed on whether he would give interviews to The Sun as Labour leader, he said: “Well, let’s get to be leader first, and then you can come back and ask me again.”

A source for Starmer said: “There was no rowing back. He was talking in the context of a hostile media environment and the awful treatment by The Sun of people in Liverpool. He then reiterated his commitment, as he stated at the hustings, to not giving an interview to The Sun during the campaign.

After the event, Hazarika tweeted: “Asked him if he would do any interviews with if he won? Surely he needs some Sun readers to make him PM? He said let’s win this first then take it from there. Was his anti-Sun stance in Liverpool today playing to the room?”

It is clear that the leadership hopeful will not be giving interviews to the right-wing publication during his current campaign, but the option to do so after the contest has concluded is being left open.

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Miliband was forced to apologise for having his photo taken with the rag in 2014, let's see what Starmer does going forward;

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27829958

Ed Miliband has apologised for any offence caused after he posed with a copy of the Sun newspaper.

The Labour leader was pictured holding a special edition of the paper which was sent to millions of homes free to mark the start of the World Cup.

Labour MPs have criticised their leader for associating himself with the paper, which has long been criticised for its reporting of the Hillsborough disaster.

Mr Miliband said he "understood the anger" felt on Merseyside about it.

Groups representing victims and survivors of the 1989 tragedy expressed anger at Mr Miliband's actions, one describing them as an "absolute disgrace".

Being overly cynical and bitter, Starmers actions seem to be an ideal way to get any remaining lefties from the horrible Labour supporting North West to leave the party. I know if I am not satisfied with his response I will be leaving the party this week. 

I'm left of centre, but not hard left, but I'm going to get in touch with my MP's (Rosie Cooper) office tomorrow and speak to them. 

Rosie was pretty decent when I had cause to contact her over Hillsborough and kept me updated during the last inquiry and the fight for justice.

I'm not sure exactly what she'll be able to do other than register the depth of feeling and disgust with Starmer that his actions have stirred up and I think, like you, I may well cancel my membership as I want no part in an organisation who's leader can show such a lack of honour.

It was more a comment on how the leadership sees the North West membership (after reading the Scally conference report earlier) rather than the actual membership itself. I think a lot of North West members, irrespective of political leanings, will see this as a line in the sand that should not have been crossed.

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've spent a lot of the last few months arguing with people that they need to stay in the party and fight for the Labour movement; these last few days, I just feel too tired for that.

I'm finding it very difficult to get behind  someone who can show such blatant disregard and disrespect to the memory of the 97, their families and Liverpool people as a whole, because that's exactly what he's done.

I was in a foul mood last night and the more I thought about this the angrier I got and I'm still angry.

I wasn't at Hillsborough, but like most of us, I was profoundly affected by it, by the shocking treatment by the establishment, the false blame, the lies, the grief, the courage, the spirit, the fight and the heroes.

It's not the party, it's him. He's shown a ruthless side, but the problem here is he's shown it to the wrong people and at the moment, that's something I can't forgive him for.

I've been Labour all my life and I posted yesterday that I may well cancel my membership, which is something I don't want to do, so I think the best course of action is to give it a bit of time before I do anything, but I will be contacting my MP's office with my concerns and complaint.

• Upvote 1

I was wrong on Starmer. 

I didn't know what he'd turn out to be but felt he at least deserved a crack of the whip, but he's shown himself to have absolutely no convictions at all.

I'm all for being pragmatic - to an extent - to try and get into power, as that's the only way you can shake things up - but there comes a time where your politics and policies are so compromised that there's no point you being in power anyway.

I'm 41 and I've lived under the Tories most of my life, surely there's something better out there than Tory or Tory light? 

Fuck this shit. 

• Upvote 4

The worse thing is,he genuinely believes that sucking upto the likes of Murdoch will get him anywhere.

The likes of the sun.and the mail genuinley despises everything the labour party should stand for.

Giving them an interview just shows where his principles lie.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I was wrong on Starmer. 

I didn't know what he'd turn out to be but felt he at least deserved a crack of the whip, but he's shown himself to have absolutely no convictions at all.

I'm all for being pragmatic - to an extent - to try and get into power, as that's the only way you can shake things up - but there comes a time where your politics and policies are so compromised that there's no point you being in power anyway.

I'm 41 and I've lived under the Tories most of my life, surely there's something better out there than Tory or Tory light? 

Fuck this shit. 

Without making it about corbyn,I think a lot of people saw at least a chunk that maybe,just maybe,there may be a different way.

I genuinely never really thought he would make a great leader,I thought he would maybe shift the party to where it should be,and let some young take over. 

Brian reader was hinting in the mirror on sat that he wouldnt be shocked to see Burnham as leader at some point.