You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

It reinforces the lie of a meritocracy that has been pushed by people who wouldn't know hard work if came and bit them on the arse. People are poor because they are lazy, end of, nothing wrong with the way society is organised whatsoever.

Labour once again following the right narrative rather then setting their own. People are calling Starter out, IMO, exactly because it is a rightwing soundbite, which would appear to point in the direction he is intending to go. 

It could be argued that that is the right thing to do politically, but it sets alarm bells ringing for other potential policies. Tough on immigration, lock them up, strivers not skivers etc.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

It reinforces the lie of a meritocracy that has been pushed by people who wouldn't know hard work if came and bit them on the arse. People are poor because they are lazy, end of, nothing wrong with the way society is organised whatsoever.

Labour once again following the right narrative rather then setting their own. People are calling Starter out, IMO, exactly because it is a rightwing soundbite, which would appear to point in the direction he is intending to go. 

It could be argued that that is the right thing to do politically, but it sets alarm bells ringing for other potential policies. Tough on immigration, lock them up, strivers not skivers etc.

The talk is he’s trying to emulate what Biden did in the US with centrist campaigning  masking social reform and spending policy.

That feels realistic as it’s been mentioned a few times and while fucked of with him, his team and the wider Labour Party, or rather elements from within, I’m fine with that if it gets the Tories out.

We’ll have to wait and see I suppose.

The other stuff with the NEC is just ridiculous and an utterly pointless fight to be fighting.

I think "left Twitter" might be disagreeing with some things that Starmer has said because they're wary of agreeing with most things he says as, in the past, that has resulted in them being mocked as members of a cult etc. 

You get the feeling that "left Twitter" are dammed if they do, damned if they don't with some folk. 

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Finally, an attempt to provide evidence for your claim.

So now we know what "Left Twitter" is: it's these four people. (I've even heard of one of them.)

Funny how it's only ever me who has to provide evidence for "claims" eh, even when it's just a throwaway one-liner. 

And you'll no doubt be shocked to discover that four Tweets is only a representative sample, because only the truly insane and/or pathologically obtuse would be demanding I import Twitter over to the forum wholesale. 

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Funny how it's only ever me who has to provide evidence for "claims" eh, even when it's just a throwaway one-liner. 

And you'll no doubt be shocked to discover that four Tweets is only a representative sample, because only the truly insane and/or pathologically obtuse would be demanding I import Twitter over to the forum wholesale. 

It's not a representative sample though, is it.

And, contrary to your cryarsing, the principle that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" applies to everyone. Maybe you should prepare to back your daft statements up before you post them, rather than go hiding behind lies when you get asked for evidence.

30 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's not a representative sample though, is it.

And, contrary to your cryarsing, the principle that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" applies to everyone. Maybe you should prepare to back your daft statements up before you post them, rather than go hiding behind lies when you get asked for evidence.

Maybe you should just accept self-evident truths, and not call me a liar in the first place, even after I've supplied copious quantities of evidence, which I was under no obligation to do.

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The talk is he’s trying to emulate what Biden did in the US with centrist campaigning  masking social reform and spending policy.

That feels realistic as it’s been mentioned a few times and while fucked of with him, his team and the wider Labour Party, or rather elements from within, I’m fine with that if it gets the Tories out.

We’ll have to wait and see I suppose.

The other stuff with the NEC is just ridiculous and an utterly pointless fight to be fighting.

Not disagreeing with you, as I said I understand the political arguments.

However, your last paragraph is the reason a lot of people are taking his "hard workers" in a negative context. 

9 minutes ago, Shithouse Cunts said:

I presume that's a no then... I only need to get over the water to the wirral not a plane to a different country. 

Hey, it's you I'm thinking of here. Imagine how you'd explain it to a judge.

"Well Your Honour, he said that Keir Starmer wasn't a Tory, and the red mist just descended."

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think "left Twitter" might be disagreeing with some things that Starmer has said because they're wary of agreeing with most things he says as, in the past, that has resulted in them being mocked as members of a cult etc. 

You get the feeling that "left Twitter" are dammed if they do, damned if they don't with some folk. 

It's not even 'left' though. This has been  major bugbear of mine throughout this whole so called civil war of ideas. 

As far as 'left wing' labour politics is concerned, to my mind, it means nationalising utilities, building social housing, maintaing a strong, public NHS and having good quality, well paid union jobs.

Many of the views classed as 'left' seem to be about everything but, ranging from getting rid of trident to gender politics and Israel/Palestine/Yemen.

• Upvote 1

I always wonder how surprised a visitor from the 1990s would be to discover that the lawyer who represented two activists free of charge in a libel case brought by McDonald's was considered some snide right-winger, while the director who was making commercials for them at the same time was feted as a left-wing hero.

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's not even 'left' though. This has been  major bugbear of mine throughout this whole so called civil war of ideas. 

As far as 'left wing' labour politics is concerned, to my mind, it means nationalising utilities, building social housing, maintaing a strong, public NHS and having good quality, well paid union jobs.

Many of the views classed as 'left' seem to be about everything but, ranging from getting rid of trident to gender politics and Israel/Palestine/Yemen.

Yes, but it pays for those who dislike the first group of things you mention to focus on those discussing the second group.

You just say "they're the left" or "it's left twitter", or whatever, and those in charge can return to dismantling the NHS and selling off fire engines.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Maybe you should just accept self-evident truths, and not call me a liar in the first place, even after I've supplied copious quantities of evidence, which I was under no obligation to do.

Wait, what?

Self-evident truths? You attributed to"Left Twitter" some shite that was nothing like what I'd seen from plenty of Lefties on Twitter, so I suggested it might not be true. You then lied about what I'd said, because you're a liar. When you finally did post 4 tweets, you call it "copious quantities of evidence".

You really are a helmet.

36 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Mal, Stronts is right about “left Twitter” you only have to search Starmer’s name and it’s all there to see. 

Soz mate. 

Owen Jones being critical of his essay and how it’s written, is fucking top level irony. 

I never said there's nobody criticising him or calling him a Tory - it's the suggestion that their main complaint is the emphasis on "rewards for hard work". Stronts's claim that that was typical of "left Twitter" didn't chime with what I'd already seen from quite a lot of left-wing politicians and commentators, so I did what you say - I searched for criticisms of Starmer - before I responded to Stronts. I saw plenty more criticisms, but nothing like the four tweets he pretends are typical.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I never said there's nobody criticising him or calling him a Tory - it's the suggestion that their main complaint is the emphasis on "rewards for hard work". Stronts's claim that that was typical of "left Twitter" didn't chime with what I'd already seen from quite a lot of left-wing politicians and commentators, so I did what you say - I searched for criticisms of Starmer - before I responded to Stronts. I saw plenty more criticisms, but nothing like the four tweets he pretends are typical.

I’ve seen loads of that “reward For hard work” shite. 

Your algorithms might have something to do with that as well. 

2 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Mal, Stronts is right about “left Twitter” you only have to search Starmer’s name and it’s all there to see. 

Soz mate. 

Owen Jones being critical of his essay and how it’s written, is fucking top level irony. 

Owen Jones…..Has a more enormous twat ever roamed the earth?  ……..Rhetorical

25 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Owen Jones…..Has a more enormous twat ever roamed the earth?  ……..Rhetorical

I don't get the Jones hatred. Among political commentators there are very few who are less twatty.

Maybe I cut him a lot of slack, because he wrote "Chavs" when it absolutely needed to be written.

• Upvote 3