You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

6 hours ago, sir roger said:

I blame myself to an extent for voting for him. I gave more weight to the ten pledges , his being a human rights lawyer and talk of him being a firebrand in his youth and not enough weight to what was right in front of my eyes , the knighthood / Trilateral stuff. I suppose I was hoping for a Miliband with gravitas , but ended up with a Gordon Brittas with a knack for getting every binary decision wrong. A mate of mine said that if Starmer was on Play Your Cards Right he would definitely go lower than a three.

There wasn’t much in the way of choice though, Rog. I reluctantly voted for RLB, knowing that she wasn’t gonna win. More of a protest vote than anything else. Even if she’d won, she’d probably have been shite and the press would have savaged her and forced her out within months. 

29 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Well this sounds like a load of shite.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/23/keir-starmer-labour-road-ahead-centre-fabian-society

Think I'll be cancelling my membership, it's pointless and I feel like Starmer lied with his 'pledges'.

Our local candidate last time jacked it in and went to the greens as soon as he started reneging on the pledges. Said it loads on here but I’m only still in because I’ve got friends in the branch. One of them did me a boss Sunday dinner at the weekend. That’s worth the membership fee alone. 

Abandoning the pledges to stick with the popular parts of Corbyn’s policies is fucking disgraceful. As is this plan to do away with the one member, one vote system. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Well this sounds like a load of shite.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/23/keir-starmer-labour-road-ahead-centre-fabian-society

Think I'll be cancelling my membership, it's pointless and I feel like Starmer lied with his 'pledges'.

Really meek and banal. The last two years of state spending has made Corbyn's manifesto state intervention and spending pledges seem positively timid. Starmer appears to be stuck in the 1990's, small state, limited change, we can manage the economy better than the Tories, in fact we are the Tories just more competent.

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Left Twitter today is like "Get rewarded for hard work? What kind of Tory cuntery is that?"

Is it, though? Are you quite sure you're not just a lying bellwhiff who's pulled some more tagnuts of fiction out of his stupid little ringpiece?

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What's that got to do with your lie about Twitter and hard work?

Do try and join the dots. There are only two of them, after all.

1) Starmer has released a pamphlet saying "We will always put hard-working families and their priorities first" and "If you work hard and play by the rules, you should be rewarded fairly"

2) Starmer is being called a Tory because of the above pamphlet

Not sure which of these 100% undisputable statements is supposed to be a lie, but from experience on here I can't say I'm surprised to see these complete truths being turned on their head.

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Do try and join the dots. There are only two of them, after all.

1) Starmer has released a pamphlet saying "We will always put hard-working families and their priorities first" and "If you work hard and play by the rules, you should be rewarded fairly"

2) Starmer is being called a Tory because of the above pamphlet

Not sure which of these 100% undisputable statements is supposed to be a lie, but from experience on here I can't say I'm surprised to see these complete truths being turned on their head.

1. Starmer has released a long (about 12,000 words or something) pamphlet called "the road ahead", that says "the role of government is to be a partner to the private sector".

2. Nobody that I've seen on "Left Twitter" (or anywhere else) has criticised the idea that work should be rewarded; in fact, the lefties I've seen criticise Starmer because he doesn't demand strongly or consistently that work should be properly rewarded.

You really are a dishonest little shit.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

1. Starmer has released a long (about 12,000 words or something) pamphlet called "the road ahead", that says "the role of government is to be a partner to the private sector".

2. Nobody that I've seen on "Left Twitter" (or anywhere else) has criticised the idea that work should be rewarded; in fact, the lefties I've seen criticise Starmer because he doesn't demand strongly or consistently that work should be properly rewarded.

You really are a dishonest little shit.

Ah, okay, so Starmer is a Tory because of 13 words out of a 12,000 word pamphlet. Gotcha.

And you accuse me of dishonesty.

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Ah, okay, so Starmer is a Tory because of 13 words out of a 12,000 word pamphlet. Gotcha.

And you accuse me of dishonesty.

Ah, okay, people are calling Starmer a Tory because of 5 words ("get rewarded for hard work") out of a 12,000 word pamphlet.

Gotcha.

I don't accuse you of dishonesty: I highlight your already-obvious dishonesty.

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Ah, okay, people are calling Starmer a Tory because of 5 words ("get rewarded for hard work") out of a 12,000 word pamphlet.

Gotcha.

I don't accuse you of dishonesty: I highlight your already-obvious dishonesty.

Hey, at least you're not denying that people are calling Starmer a Tory now. Small steps.

So what's wrong with private enterprise and government partnering for the common good, then? Bearing in mind recent very high profile examples of them doing just that to, you know, end a devastating pandemic.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Hey, at least you're not denying that people are calling Starmer a Tory now. Small steps.

As you know, I never did deny that. You lying tit.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

So what's wrong with private enterprise and government partnering for the common good, then? Bearing in mind recent very high profile examples of them doing just that to, you know, end a devastating pandemic.

People are criticising the idea that the purpose of government is to support private businesses, rather than, y'know, support people.

But that's not the point here. The point is that you said that"Left Twitter" were criticising the idea of rewarding hard work. You lied.

23 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

As you know, I never did deny that. You lying tit.

People are criticising the idea that the purpose of government is to support private businesses, rather than, y'know, support people.

But that's not the point here. The point is that you said that"Left Twitter" were criticising the idea of rewarding hard work. You lied.

Ah, okay, when you called me a liar multiple times for saying that people were calling Starmer a Tory, that was what confused me.

So what we have instead is a disagreement over why people are calling Starmer a Tory. You have decided, apropos of nothing, that it's because of one small portion of his essay, whereas I assert that it relates to the thing taken as a whole and/or a different bit, which I have specifically seen people refer to.

If you want to talk about lies, let's start with the claim that anyone has said that the purpose of government is to support private businesses rather than people.

36 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The reason people criticise phrases like ‘people should be rewarded if they work hard’ is because it implies people in low paid jobs are not working hard because they are receiving low pay, when mostly this is not the case.

I see it as Starmers way of saying "we'll keep taxes and inflation low"

If Labour want to win more votes its sensible

14 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Finally, an attempt to provide evidence for your claim.

So now we know what "Left Twitter" is: it's these four people. (I've even heard of one of them.)

Dude, I think you will be on a sticky wicket if you are trying to argue that Twitter was not full of dickhead work here. That is what Twitter is, tryhards trying hard to out dickhead each other.