You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

That is shit then, it can get fucked. 

Yeah it is, if they'd have modified and tweaked the old temp system you describe and done it in a fair and just manner it could have been lived with but as always they just took the complete and utter piss. 

21 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

If a poll showed 25% of workers liked them I'm on the side of the 75% who don't. 

I'm not surprised you're the first to defend a practice that makes it easier to exploite low paid workers though, you've got history.

You've got history of no comprehension.

A fith of zero hour contract workers are full time students, I'd guess just looking to earn some extra cash out of term time or gaining some work experience, or they may need the money to pay for their course/books etc. I don't understand why these temp workers can't operate under the old system Section mentioned and the permanent workers given full time contracts.

There's an alternate universe somewhere, where Corbyn won in 2017 and Laura Pidcock is sorting shit like this out in the newly-created role of Minister of Labour. 

Angela Rayner, meanwhile, is busy establishing the National Education Service and Keir Starmer has successfully concluded negotiations with the EU. 

I like that universe. This one's a bit shit.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

With zero hour the employee must by terms of contract take any work offered, if they do not they can be legally sacked and then not eligible for benefits

Don't you ever get tired of writing such absolute wham?

Zero-hours contracts - Acas

Zero-hours contracts can be a flexible option for both employers and workers. For example, if the work is not constant or is 'as and when'.

If you have a zero-hours contract:

• your employer does not have to give you any minimum working hours
  • you do not have to take any work offered

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's the legal position.  The imbalance of power between bosses and workers means it's usually much more exploitative than that.

Yeah he missed out the bit where if you do refuse they've got the right to sack you, and when the sack you (which they will) it'll make you ineligible to benefits for approx half a lifetime, which means you fall behind on rent and end up homeless. It's the reason a person on a zero hours contract makes it into work at all costs, even if diagnosed with the black death.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's the legal position.  The imbalance of power between bosses and workers means it's usually much more exploitative than that.

Exactly. Seen it loads when talking to people about jobs opportunities. First thing they would ask is about what contract it was, I’d say a large percentage had that experience. Last minute calls to work and expected to drop everything and if they didn’t they’d either get pushed down the pecking order or binned off. 

It’s easy to work around the legal wording as a business, as long as you do your prep work. And you have a good HR department. 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah he missed out the bit where if you do refuse they've got the right to sack you, and when the sack you (which they will) it'll make you ineligible to benefits for approx half a lifetime, which means you fall behind on rent and end up homeless. It's the reason a person on a zero hours contract makes it into work at all costs, even if diagnosed with the black death.

A person of convenience. 

I remember when the 48 hour working time directive was brought in by those nasty EU people. 

Some people wanted to be allowed to work 84 hours a week, they even had a march in London about it. Organised by the countryside alliance if I remember.

Certain key industries, mine included, were exempt from the WTD but that didn't stop the campaigns against it. 

I see Zero hour contracts as the same, yes they will suit some people but that doesn't mean policy should be directed towards these people. In fact when Tories defend policy because it "helps the poorest", then I know it is a policy I need to oppose.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I remember when the 48 hour working time directive was brought in by those nasty EU people. 

Some people wanted to be allowed to work 84 hours a week, they even had a march in London about it. Organised by the countryside alliance if I remember.

Certain key industries, mine included, were exempt from the WTD but that didn't stop the campaigns against it. 

I see Zero hour contracts as the same, yes they will suit some people but that doesn't mean policy should be directed towards these people. In fact when Tories defend policy because it "helps the poorest", then I know it is a policy I need to oppose.

Spot on.

14 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Of course it goes without saying that I missed out bits that don't exist.

Meanwhile, back in the real world

Zero hours workers are as happy as other employees, research shows | The Independent | The Independent

Zero hours workers are as happy as other employees, research shows
Less pressure and better work-life balance supports personal well-being among zero-hours contract employees

Zero hours contracts – where employers can hire staff with no guarantee of work – are often associated with low quality of work on unfair terms.

However, UK workers on the controversial contracts achieve similar job satisfaction, better work-life balance and fell less pressure in comparison to their counterparts on permanent, full-time contracts, according to a new survey.

More than 60 per cent of zero hour workers are happy with their work-life balance, while 32 per cent feel under excessive pressure at work several times a week, compared to a much significant 41 per cent of all employees, according to a new research by CIPD, the professional body for HR and people development.

The survey also found the proportion of zero-hours contract workers who are either very satisfied or satisfied with their jobs is 65 per cent, slightly higher to 63 per cent for all employees.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Of course it goes without saying that I missed out bits that don't exist.

Meanwhile, back in the real world

Zero hours workers are as happy as other employees, research shows | The Independent | The Independent

What were the number of people surveyed?

8 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

What were the number of people surveyed?

Not sure, the data came from a number of places, including the ONS Labour Force Survey and the CIPD’s Employee Outlook survey. I know the ONS surveys involve more than 80,000 people. I suspect the CIPD surveys considerably fewer than that.

Aaahhh makes sense now 

https://www.citation.co.uk/news/hr-and-employment-law/labour-will-end-zero-hour-contracts/

Ed Miliband has stated that he will pass a law that will bring to an end zero hour contracts, if he is elected as Prime Minister at the upcoming general election.

Mr Miliband would bring a law into practice that any employee who works for a business for 12 weeks on regular hours would be entitled to a regular contract.

The Labour leader has said, “We have an epidemic of zero-hours contracts in our country – there’s been a 20% increase in the last year alone – undermining hard work, undermining living standards, undermining family life. Because if you don’t know from one day to the next how many hours you’re going to be doing, how can you have any security for you and your family?”

Opposition parties have disagreed with Labour’s stance on the issue. The Conservative party believe this law would be a threat to jobs for the UK people, whilst the Liberal Democrats feel that Mr Miliband is being “impractical”. Vince Cable, Lib Dem business spokesman has said,

“I just don’t see the Miliband proposals as being practical because we know there are large numbers of companies that don’t have constant work and there are large numbers of people who prefer flexibility.”

Employment groups have also disagreed with Labour’s proposal, CBI director-general John Cridland has said,

“Of course action should be taken to tackle abuses, but demonising flexible contracts is playing with the jobs that many firms and many workers value and need.”

• 2 weeks later...