You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Have you been drinking?

Nope. But i do have a family member who got a kicking for being gay. So, I'm not prepared to ignore that shit from someone who proclaims to be progressive. 

He's on ignore anyway. So it won't happen again. 

14 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Maybe worth Starmer taking a look at this thread. Whoever has been advising him that his anonymity is his superpower (as per the Paul Waugh article) appears to have got their strategy wrong.

Yep it is an interesting tactic - say nothing and do nothing. People will then vote for you. 

14 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Nope. But i do have a family member who got a kicking for being gay. So, I'm not prepared to ignore that shit from someone who proclaims to be progressive. 

He's on ignore anyway. So it won't happen again. 

Did he miss the bit where I literally just said my brother is gay? Maybe he thinks that sometimes I just decide that's not important? He's made his mind up though and facts don't matter, I'm on ignore and that's that settled. That type of shit is one reason why politics debates are so retarded at times.

I mean I'm not glad to avoid him raving shite at me, but wow.

18 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The good news is that there is a more optimistic outlook for Kim Leadbeater in the B&as by-election. Fingers crossed.

I just don’t see it, sadly, though hope I’m pleasantly surprised. 

There’s something fundamentally broken in society at the moment and I don’t see the fix.

The fact that all the news today has been presented 900 jobs have been created, yet the truth is that we actually previously lost 1500 of these very same jobs and had to bribe a multinational to the tune of 100m to save some industry.

This is being lapped up and has huge political weight with its significance, though it’s all smoke and mirrors.

Its bizarro world.

Sunak effectively said the financial sector is fucked as they were too arrogant to negotiate a fair trade off so Europe just cut them out, but that won’t even make the news.

• Upvote 2

How do Labour play everything out. Brexiters have essentially fucked them off, there is a class of people who would never vote Labour. Traditional Labour voters don't think they represent them anymore and progressives think they are too "blairite" whatever the fuck that is anymore. Is it too broad a church to try and represent.

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How do Labour play everything out. Brexiters have essentially fucked them off, there is a class of people who would never vote Labour. Traditional Labour voters don't think they represent them anymore and progressives think they are too "blairite" whatever the fuck that is anymore. Is it too broad a church to try and represent.

The classic stance of "political science" (not a real science I know) is to start with your base and build outwards. New Labour did the opposite of that during the Blair years and took its base for granted and while it worked in the short term it did immense long term damage.  

So Labour needs to figure out what its base is I suppose. Then build outwards. 

19 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Really? Based on what?

Private polling has her in with a shout. Messages coming out of the local Labour campaign have gone from depressed a week ago to more optimistic. As I say, fingers crossed.

52 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

The classic stance of "political science" (not a real science I know) is to start with your base and build outwards. New Labour did the opposite of that during the Blair years and took its base for granted and while it worked in the short term it did immense long term damage.  

So Labour needs to figure out what its base is I suppose. Then build outwards. 

Short term? Blair won three consecutive general elections, had he not resigned he would have been the fourth longest serving PM in history (and those above him wore wigs and white tights) longer than Thatcher and that’s if he hadn’t of won a fourth term which I think he would have done because Brown was shite and still managed a hung parliament. Given that Labour general election wins are rocking horse shit I really don’t see where you’re getting “short term” from. It might be worth noting that every time the left fight elections they get trounced.

16 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Short term? Blair won three consecutive general elections, had he not resigned he would have been the fourth longest serving PM in history, longer than Thatcher and that’s if he hadn’t of won a fourth term which I think he would have done because Brown was shite and still managed a hung parliament. Given that Labour general election wins are rocking horse shit I really don’t see where you’re getting “short term” from. It might be worth noting that every time the left fight elections they get trounced.

I'll raise it to medium term. 

34 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

It might be worth noting that every time the left fight elections they get trounced.

From a sample size of, what, 3 times the left have fought GEs, two were heavy defeats, one destroyed the Government's majority. 

11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

From a sample size of, what, 3 times the left have fought GEs, two were heavy defeats, one destroyed the Government's majority. 

Yeah and still lost, so lost them all. I would quite like a left administration if I’m honest but at the same time the left to me seem to display a lack of self awareness that borders on  Partridgesque, it’s a massive problem.