You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Fine by me. Any resistance to alliances and agreements, formal or otherwise, has always been from the Labour side.

So long as if Labour lose Batley and Spen, Gnasher isn't on here claiming that the big story of the night is the Lib Dems going from 4% to 1% or something, like he was after Hartlepool.

I was actually hoping you had info on the stuff Rog was saying. Not sure Lib Dem’s we’re all that keen on an alliance whilst JC (the real one, not the Jew one) was leader though. 

Fine by me. Any resistance to alliances and agreements, formal or otherwise, has always been from the Labour side.

Hmmm. Although I don't blame you for trying to brush Jo Swinson under the carpet..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jo-swinson-corbyn-general-election-brexit-referendum-coalition-a9185896.html

So long as if Labour lose Batley and Spen, Gnasher isn't on here claiming that the big story of the night is the Lib Dems going from 4% to 1% or something, like he was after Hartlepool.

I'm keeping my powder dry,

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I was actually hoping you had info on the stuff Rog was saying. Not sure Lib Dem’s we’re all that keen on an alliance whilst JC (the real one, not the Jew one) was leader though. 

They weren't that keen at all, I believe Swinson categorically ruled it out, maybe Stronts is suffering from a bout of selective amnesia.

23 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I can't remember any specific hatred for the S*n over its Corbyn coverage , it was generally styled as the right wing MSM as a whole. If Labour hadn't appeared to take the Muslim vote for granted and be very pro BoD , Galloway would be an irrelevance.

I think you underestimate Galloway’s draw there. And if Labour had done what many on the left had wanted, and basically carried on the Corbyn approach, the antisemitism stuff would still be a massive hot topic. So you’re just swapping one for the other. Galloway is still beating the Iraq ear drum. Even the most critical anti-Starmerite couldn’t put that on Starmer. It’s not just as simple as ‘BoD’. 

35 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Nope, I know nothing. Seems it really was extremely tacit. The Greens didn't get the memo though, they attacked the Lib Dems a lot here, mostly with Guido Fawkes' stuff, which is... interesting. I think the Greens have made a big error there.

I think any appetite for closer working with the Corbyn regime evaporated when Labour attacked Swinson more than the actual Tories. To the Corbynite front we were, and still are, just collaborators.

Starmer is obviously a different ball-game, he doesn't seem quite so tribal.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Nope, I know nothing. Seems it really was extremely tacit. The Greens didn't get the memo though, they attacked the Lib Dems a lot here, mostly with Guido Fawkes' stuff, which is... interesting. I think the Greens have made a big error there.

I think any appetite for closer working with the Corbyn regime evaporated when Labour attacked Swinson more than the actual Tories. To the Corbynite front we were, and still are, just collaborators.

Starmer is obviously a different ball-game, he doesn't seem quite so tribal.

Was this before or after Swinson said she'd never work with Corbyn to, you know, get rid of the Tories?

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

Was this before or after Swinson said she'd never work with Corbyn to, you know, get rid of the Tories?

Pretty early, like. They had the memes ready to go on Twitter minutes after she was elected as Lib Dem leader.

For a woman who claimed to be so against brexit she didn't half have a problem with forming the alliance that maybe/probably could have stopped brexit. 

It's the truth thing again. Although the libs are in my good-books today, maybe the tides are turning for the better. Quicker we stop the way it currently is the better. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Pretty early, like. They had the memes ready to go on Twitter minutes after she was elected as Lib Dem leader.

Have you got any, because my recollection was of her pretty much dismissing working with Labour straight away. I could be wrong though.

Seems the libs played the anti high speed rail link card at the by election even though they are in favour nationally, they also campaigned against house building although they are in favour nationally, in short they've been hypocritical,

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Reminded me of this, still winds me up :

The failure of tactical voting to propel referendum-backing MPs into the House of Commons was exposed most brutally in Kensington.

The affluent west London seat - which voted 69 per cent Remain in the 2016 referendum - fell back into the hands of Conservatives just two years after it became Labour’s most surprising gain in the 2017 election.

Felicity Buchan won the seat by just 150 votes, scooping 16,768 to 16,618 for Labour’s Emma Dent Coad.

And supporters of the short-lived Labour MP pointed angrily to tactical voting websites, some of which had recommended votes for Lib Dem Sam Gyimah, despite the party coming a distant third in the tightest Labour/Tory marginal in the last election.

The former Tory minister, who quit the party over Brexit just months after making an abortive bid to lead it, took 9,312 votes, some of which may have come from tactical voters who believed he was best-placed to take the seat.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-result-conservative-kensington-tactical-voting-grenfell-a9245016.html

I don't see how Batley and Spen can be taken seriously either (although it will be for the sake of drama and page clicks) if Labour lose now that Galloway is there. I'm fine with him winning but I can see how annoying it must be for most others. I think a media guy said he was asking him questions there and Galloway accused him of parachuting in too. Maybe a bit hypocritical if true.

23 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Reminded me of this, still winds me up :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-result-conservative-kensington-tactical-voting-grenfell-a9245016.html

I don't see how Batley and Spen can be taken seriously either (although it will be for the sake of drama and page clicks) if Labour lose now that Galloway is there. I'm fine with him winning but I can see how annoying it must be for most others. I think a media guy said he was asking him questions there and Galloway accused him of parachuting in too. Maybe a bit hypocritical if true.

Oh, Galloway won’t win. That’s not on the cards. His job is to make Labour lose the by-election to Tories by splitting Labour’s vote. 

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, Galloway won’t win. That’s not on the cards. His job is to make Labour lose the by-election to Tories by splitting Labour’s vote. 

He's got a good chance of doing at least that by the looks of it. You're probably right about him not winning too, it's possible but it'd be crazy if it actually happened. Bastani mentioned him having big unexpected wins in the past with Bradford West and Bethnal Green but it's probably doubtful that he's capable of that here.

32 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

He's got a good chance of doing at least that by the looks of it. You're probably right about him not winning too, it's possible but it'd be crazy if it actually happened. Bastani mentioned him having big unexpected wins in the past with Bradford West and Bethnal Green but it's probably doubtful that he's capable of that here.

Yeah, completely different conditions in those. But yeah, he has a good shot of putting another Tory in Parliament. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd have Angela Rayner in. A PM with a heart, wearing a pair of Doc Martens is what this infested shitbag of an island needs. 

I mean, if it’s a choice between her or a Tory, it’s not even a question, but she would be absolutely crushed and made to look clueless pretty quickly. No doubt about her heart (or her boots) but her brains? 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I mean, if it’s a choice between her or a Tory, it’s not even a question, but she would be absolutely crushed and made to look clueless pretty quickly. No doubt about her heart (or her boots) but her brains? 

I'm passed being arsed about brains mate, we need heart and honesty. She can form a cabinet for the brain bit. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm passed being arsed about brains mate, we need heart and honesty. She can form a cabinet for the brain bit. 

My point is that she won’t even get close to making a cabinet because she’ll be made to look clueless. Start questioning her about NATO and geopolitics, finer points of economic policy, political theory, etc. She’d look like a school girl. As much as I don’t like her and think she’d be a disaster, RLB would be way better than Ange. Nandy better again. Heart and honesty doesn’t seem enough, if it was we’d have Corbyn as PM but we have a heartless liar.