You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Starmer is going on Life Stories with Piers Morgan. Presumably trying to show a bit more of the private person , but could go either way with Morgan's reputation at present.

It's a tricky one. There's a degree to which you do have to dance with some of the horrible bastards in the media, because, like it or not, they have power and influence.  Tony Blair went too far up Murdoch's hoop; Corbyn probably went too far the other way, in openly challenging their unelected power. I've no idea what the right answer is. 

29 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's a tricky one. There's a degree to which you do have to dance with some of the horrible bastards in the media, because, like it or not, they have power and influence.  Tony Blair went too far up Murdoch's hoop; Corbyn probably went too far the other way, in openly challenging their unelected power. I've no idea what the right answer is. 

Thinly veiled 'get him on strictly come dancing' post 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Starmer is going on Life Stories with Piers Morgan. Presumably trying to show a bit more of the private person , but could go either way with Morgan's reputation at present.

It has been a while since I watched one of those. From memory, it’s like This is your life. Do people who know him get interviewed? If so, that could work out really well. One of the reasons I was quite happy for him to be leader of the opposition was because some of the things I’d read about his career and his background. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Risky. Very risky. 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Don't think it's risky just think it's naff. Smacks more of advice by numbers again. "We need to let them see the real you, put you on telly to talk about how you had no shoes until you were 18."

I think it’s more naff that this sort of thing has to happen. It’s a popularity contest and he is losing - badly - to the honey monster’s upper class twit of a cousin. Do what you’ve got to do. 

7 minutes ago, Numero said:

I think it’s more naff that this sort of thing has to happen. It’s a popularity contest and he is losing - badly - to the honey monster’s upper class twit of a cousin. Do what you’ve got to do. 

No doubt social media will be full of people proclaiming that this is either a masterstroke or the worst thing anyone has ever done, depending entirely on their existing opinion of Starmer.

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

No time soon.

Seems like a good idea.

Until Morgan asks the question “What do you think of Meghan Markle?” 

At which point Starmer is fucked whatever he answers. 

2 hours ago, Numero said:

Drown Johnson in the House of Commons toilets?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Be that as it may, he needs to do something and we're getting to the point where 'culture wars' are the easiest attack for the tories so face it head on 'I found the things Megan said distressing, it must be difficult for both sides and we hope they can reconcile their differences for the sake of the kids, themselves, the country and the flag, which I was shagging off air for fear of any doubt'

I just think we're at the point of stand for something or die for nothing and he has to make a choice quickly as his time is becoming incresingly borrowed, for a myriad of reasons.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

It's a tricky one- Morgan's popularity is in the toilet and can't go much lower, but being associated with such a loathed and despised character might backfire. 

He's not despised by the Hail readership, they lap this shit up.

He's the man talking truth to power for the great unwashed so Starmer has a lot to gain.

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

He's not despised by the Hail readership, they lap this shit up.

He's the man talking truth to power for the great unwashed so Starmer has a lot to gain.

I fucked up my post, I was looking for a way to make it look like I was talking about Starmer when it was really about Morgan. I'm too hungover to do it properly...

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Spot on. Piers was getting grief amongst the DM comments brigade for his questioning of Tory MP's, all slagging him off saying he just shouts and isn't qualified to be asking these questions who does he think he is etc...  Then all of a sudden he goes full on mental about Markle and storms off the set and they all love him and turn their anger towards the weather reporter who had had enough of Morgans shit and pulled him up on it. Now he's their poster boy again. 

Morgan is after headlines and won't give a fuck how he gets them. Hence, this being a risky move for Starmer. I suspect his angle for the headlines will be Starmer taking the knee. He could turn round and say he was bummed by John Major as a kid and the Mail will go with "Starmer defends BLM movement, woke Labour strike again" 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Spot on. Piers was getting grief amongst the DM comments brigade for his questioning of Tory MP's, all slagging him off saying he just shouts and isn't qualified to be asking these questions who does he think he is etc...  Then all of a sudden he goes full on mental about Markle and storms off the set and they all love him and turn their anger towards the weather reporter who had had enough of Morgans shit and pulled him up on it. Now he's their poster boy again. 

Morgan is after headlines and won't give a fuck how he gets them. Hence, this being a risky move for Starmer. 

'So, Keith, are you just really fucking dull and normal with and exceptional track record of achievement?'

'Yes'

'Cool. Roll credits'