You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not really relevant, is it. These people are not neoliberals under the criteria you posted.

It absolutely is relevant.  Do you think they would voluntarily subsidise meals out or pay workers to stay at home if it weren't for, y'know, that thing that's been on the news?  As for the criteria I posted... deregulation, privatisation, austerity, etc.  We're still living with that shit as much as we have for the last 40 years.

I don't buy this idea that neoliberalism is some sort of pure form of capitalism and that the corruption and greed of the current mob is some sort of diversion from this.  It isn't.  The Johnson regime are more brazen than their predecessors, that's all.

If austerity is just going to be "stuff I don't like" and neoliberals are just going to be "people I don't like" then the terms have lost all meaning. Not that they had much meaning to lose in the first place.

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

aka austerity, privatisation, deregulation...

As you said earlier angry unprecedented times, the tories do have a knack of playing their cards to suit themselves better than the labour party though. 

I'm not of the persuasion that all is lost for Labour though, the austerity will come and the goodwill factor of a country coming out of a pandemic will be diminished. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Spot on. The tories have learnt from countrys like Russia, state owned money siphoned off to the wealthy political elite.

The way I see it capitalism has moved more money from the masses' pockets into the few, the fallout is that you can't run a consumer economy when the consumer has no money, but they're too shortsighted to care.

To counter this, instead of giving us our money back they lent it to us instead, debt replaced wages and we ended up with the credit crunch. They even managed to monetize the fallout of that with a "poverty" industry emerging, mass house repossessions and sell offs, and austerity  -  which was basically transferring private debt onto the public, while simultaneously privatising or selling off public assets.

Now with the rise of the gig economy and the collapse of organised Labour, they've doubled down on having no money in consumer pockets.

The only recourse left? Turn the taxpayer into your customers. There's loads of them and they've got no choice whether to buy from you or not. 

Sort of have to admire it, in a Bond villain kind of way. 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The way I see it capitalism has moved more money from the masses' pockets into the few, the fallout is that you can't run a consumer economy when the consumer has no money, but they're too shortsighted to care.

To counter this, instead of giving us our money back they lent it to us instead, debt replaced wages and we ended up with the credit crunch. They even managed to monetize the fallout of that with a "poverty" industry emerging, mass house repossessions and sell offs, and austerity  -  which was basically transferring private debt onto the public, while simultaneously privatising or selling off public assets.

Now with the rise of the gig economy and the collapse of organised Labour, they've doubled down on having no money in consumer pockets.

The only recourse left? Turn the taxpayer into your customers. There's loads of them and they've got no choice whether to buy from you or not. 

Sort of have to admire it, in a Bond villain kind of way. 

Yeah clever, they've learnt off other countries. Osborne fuelled the economy off rising house prices and socially making it about them (who many had to work all hours under the sun to pay the mortgage) and people on benefits. Sunak is going to do the same.

37 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah clever, they've learnt off other countries. Osborne fuelled the economy off rising house prices and socially making it about them (who many had to work all hours under the sun to pay the mortgage) and people on benefits. Sunak is going to do the same.

However... Sefton central throws my little theory straight in the fucking bin, always one,

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Have to agree with SD here, it's not neoliberalism I don't think, it's some kind of weird state/private/cronyism like basically what you'd get in Russia or Uganda. Dunno what the political science tern is. Corruption maybe. But it's basically public money into a very select group of private pockets with access to that group closely controlled. Neoliberalism is about dismantling the state or pushing it to one side, this new model needs the state because it's a cash cow. 

Crony Capitalism

• Upvote 1

That must have gone so much better in his head.  

Also, might be a bit of an image issue there as he’s potentially putting across the message that he likes hanging around children’s playgrounds.

Watching English politics at the minute is like watching a pensioner giving their bank details to 'that nice Nigerian prince who emailed me and is in a spot of bother, he's going to send me some money for helping him out' and no matter what you tell them they'll not listen.

Thorougly fucking depressing.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If austerity is just going to be "stuff I don't like" and neoliberals are just going to be "people I don't like" then the terms have lost all meaning. Not that they had much meaning to lose in the first place.

Or, conversely, if you're just chatting shit, then those terms do have clearly defined meanings.