You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

I think the British do have a kind of inbuilt, small man nastiness. Someone was telling me once that on their marketing degree they actually taught about the British mindset, along the lines of if a yank sees someone in a Ferrari they'd think "awesome, good for them" while the British would be like "look at that cunt". 

It comes across with stuff like Hillsborough, racism, just general spitefulness. We like seeing each other fail and just generally enjoy slagging each other off. There's an entire sub industry of television dedicated to it, benefits this, gypsies that.

When we clapped for carers, when the cameras weren't on we'd still bitch about the fact a nurse had been let in to Aldi before us, and we'd make damn sure there were no oranges left for her when she got to the fruit aisle.

I think this is why people like Johnson and Patel appeals, they're cunt howitzers who provide an outlet for our own cuntery. We like seeing them make people suffer, we like seeing them bully people, we like seeing them turn people away in dinghis and call gay people bum boys.

I think the uncomfortable truth is that you can judge a man by his friends, and you can judge a people by their leaders. We're cunts.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think the British do have a kind of inbuilt, small man nastiness. Someone was telling me once that on their marketing degree they actually taught about the British mindset, along the lines of if a yank sees someone in a Ferrari they'd think "awesome, good for them" while the British would be like "look at that cunt". 

It comes across with stuff like Hillsborough, racism, just general spitefulness. We like seeing each other fail and just generally enjoy slagging each other off. There's an entire sub industry of television dedicated to it, benefits this, gypsies that.

When we clapped for carers, when the cameras weren't on we'd still bitch about the fact a nurse had been let in to Aldi before us, and we'd make damn sure there were no oranges left for her when she got to the fruit aisle.

I think this is why people like Johnson and Patel appeals, they're cunt howitzers who provide an outlet for our own cuntery. We like seeing them make people suffer, we like seeing them bully people, we like seeing them turn people away in dinghis and call gay people bum boys.

I think the uncomfortable truth is that you can judge a man by his friends, and you can judge a people by their leaders. We're cunts.

After the 2015 election I was listening to Stephen Nolan on 5live, the phone in type show. 3 callers were a microcosm of this country.

First up, a Brummie fella, working class, voted Tory because he believed the shit about working hard and the Tories looking after him, despite being on Working Tax Credits, and he was crying that they’d back tracked. 
Next, an old school Scouser, fire and brimstone type, delivered the classic line “ the only time the Tories are interested in the likes of us is when they want to put a rifle in your hand and send you over the top.” 
Then, some OAP from Ipswich who complained there used to be loads of strikes in Liverpool. 

Easy to further divide a country than to somehow unite it after 40 odd years of Thatcherite individualism and class warfare dressed up as freedom and progress; that’s the dilemma Labour face. Plus a hostile media environment. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

After the 2015 election I was listening to Stephen Nolan on 5live, the phone in type show. 3 callers were a microcosm of this country.

First up, a Brummie fella, working class, voted Tory because he believed the shit about working hard and the Tories looking after him, despite being on Working Tax Credits, and he was crying that they’d back tracked. 
Next, an old school Scouser, fire and brimstone type, delivered the classic line “ the only time the Tories are interested in the likes of us is when they want to put a rifle in your hand and send you over the top.” 
Then, some OAP from Ipswich who complained there used to be loads of strikes in Liverpool. 

Easy to further divide a country than to somehow unite it after 40 odd years of Thatcherite individualism and class warfare dressed up as freedom and progress; that’s the dilemma Labour face. Plus a hostile media environment. 

It's definitely worth some sociologist's study  time, I'd be interested to know how it's been so expertly manufactured. Was watching Peaky Blinders once and listening to them all moan about the war, yet they all had pictures of the King on the wall. 

I think a lot of English people are - and always have been - generally dissatisfied with their lot in life (whether it's real, due to economic hardship, or imagined due to consumerism and advertising) but they've been kind of made to think that no matter how shit that lot is, they're somehow better than everyone else because Empire/white etc. I think that subconsciously though it bubbles under and we only get brief moments of spiritual respite by putting the boot into our neighbour or laughing at them when they fall down the stairs. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Speak for yourself. I love seeing people do well for themselves. As for Ferraris, I’d call them a cunt for downing all that money on a Ferrari and not on hookers 

Nah, I think a sizeable majority are perfectly content in banality. I think the much more significant trend is the culture of resentment at what other people have, and the sister sentiment of contempt for anyone else's pain or historical adversity (because of the dumb-as-fuck zero sum mentality that tells us that someone else experiencing hardship invalidates our own struggles - happily reinforced by those in the prior category who have zero interest in who you are or what you've been through, as they just need someone to meaninglessly project blame onto).

edit: at Section, but seems like he has said the same a bit earlier. The wanker, who does he think he is?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's definitely worth some sociologist's study  time, I'd be interested to know how it's been so expertly manufactured. Was watching Peaky Blinders once and listening to them all moan about the war, yet they all had pictures of the King on the wall. 

I think a lot of English people are - and always have been - generally dissatisfied with their lot in life (whether it's real, due to economic hardship, or imagined due to consumerism and advertising) but they've been kind of made to think that no matter how shit that lot is, they're somehow better than everyone else because Empire/white etc. I think that subconsciously though it bubbles under and we only get brief moments of spiritual respite by putting the boot into our neighbour or laughing at them when they fall down the stairs. 

I’ve watched the Adam Curtis doc’s on iPlayer Can’t Get You Out of My Head recently, as well as You Rang M’Lord after watching docs on Croft and Perry. I think there might have been a joyous period in the 60s when old and new came together, but even then if you had dug beneath the surface it was nothing more than a fleeting feeling, and it masked all the nasty shit. 

The pub landlord is a perfect example of the mentality of people. 

Have a pop at the leader of the opposition over government policy. You expect the Tories to be cunts, so don't have a go at them but have a go at Labour instead. What have you done ? 

Then, rather than have it explained that the opposition do not lead policy and large majority means they can't even influence, put said same person all over the media as a voice of the common man.

Johnson, a working class hero, like billionaire Trump, but fuck elitist Sir Starmer.

Door knocking in Crewe during the election and loads complaining about libraries, swimming pools closing etc. Obviously the fault of Labour council, no context on cuts and austerity, so voting Tory as it can't be any worse.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

The pub landlord is a perfect example of the mentality of people. 

Have a pop at the leader of the opposition over government policy. You expect the Tories to be cunts, so don't have a go at them but have a go at Labour instead. What have you done ? 

Then, rather than have it explained that the opposition do not lead policy and large majority means they can't even influence, put said same person all over the media as a voice of the common man.

Johnson, a working class hero, like billionaire Trump, but fuck elitist Sir Starmer.

Door knocking in Crewe during the election and loads complaining about libraries, swimming pools closing etc. Obviously the fault of Labour council, no context on cuts and austerity, so voting Tory as it can't be any worse.

Yeah as I said up the thread, they were asking people in Leigh why they'd voted Tory at the last election and some old woman said it was because the Labour MP hadn't done anything for the town, again, seemingly not grasping the difference between what an opposition MP and a ruling actual government can achieve.

But then Leigh is the place where, when I worked at a local rag years ago and had to phone fire stations to see if they'd had any jobs that day, someone once called the fire brigade when  they'd seen a comet, to which the fire brigade had told him 'they didn't have a long enough hose'. 

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

said it was because the Labour MP hadn't done anything for the town, again, seemingly not grasping the difference between what an opposition MP and a ruling actual government can achieve.

Maybe that was her point though? She assumed the Tories would win and was tired of having an opposition MP. It isn't always a case of low information voting, sometimes it's just cynical self interest. 

43 minutes ago, scottthecanuck said:

Maybe that was her point though? She assumed the Tories would win and was tired of having an opposition MP. It isn't always a case of low information voting, sometimes it's just cynical self interest. 

Dunno, wasn't the impression I got that she was thinking the Tory would have more sway, more the idea of 'give the other guy a go'. 

The upcoming Hartlepool by election should prove interesting, the aftermath if Labour lose a seat they've held since the 60s will definitely be interesting.

Labour candidate is local, doctor, NHS..all good or so you'd think. The Tory is a lady with no connection to the area and sounds like she stuggles to tell shit from clay. 

The headlines of the past few weeks have would not have been better for Labour If Starmer had written them himself, even the mail has turned on Johnson.

If Labour lose a seat even Corbs held in the get brexit done election it could herald a sticky summer for Starmer especially as Britain comes out of lockdown and most are vaccinated.

This is Starmers first ballot box test, he needs to hold this seat desperately. I hope he does.

Edit.. odds..get on Labour 

https://m.skybet.com/politics/by-elections/event/27305290

39 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The upcoming Hartlepool by election should prove interesting, the aftermath if Labour lose a seat they've held since the 60s will definitely be interesting.

Labour candidate is local, doctor, NHS..all good or so you'd think. The Tory is a lady with no connection to the area and sounds like she stuggles to tell shit from clay. 

The headlines of the past few weeks have would not have been better for Labour If Starmer had written them himself, even the mail has turned on Johnson.

If Labour lose a seat even Corbs held in the get brexit done election it could herald a sticky summer for Starmer especially as Britain comes out of lockdown and most are vaccinated.

This is Starmers first ballot box test, he needs to hold this seat desperately. I hope he does.

Edit.. odds..get on Labour 

https://m.skybet.com/politics/by-elections/event/27305290

The beeb have been pulling their usual shit of mainly interviewing "lifelong Labour voters" who are now voting Tory, never asking for reasons.

18 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

The beeb have been pulling their usual shit of mainly interviewing "lifelong Labour voters" who are now voting Tory, never asking for reasons.

This country is riddled with life long labour supporters who detest the Labour party. Maureen Lipman for one has been a life long labour supporter for more than a century and she's only 76.  

5 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Victoria Derbyshire had the Labour candidate on the other day for the Hartlepool election. Before he spoke they had a female vicar on saying that she can’t vote Labour because Starmer doesn’t stand for anything. Once it was the Labour candidate’s turn to speak (former MP somewhere else) she had a list of things to pull him up on, even down to him posting the word ‘milf’ on Twitter one time ten years ago. Naturally the Tory candidate didn’t show up and get the same kind of interrogation. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Victoria Derbyshire had the Labour candidate on the other day for the Hartlepool election. Before he spoke they had a female vicar on saying that she can’t vote Labour because Starmer doesn’t stand for anything. Once it was the Labour candidate’s turn to speak (former MP somewhere else) she had a list of things to pull him up on, even down to him posting the word ‘milf’ on Twitter one time ten years ago. Naturally the Tory candidate didn’t show up and get the same kind of interrogation. 

Labour have been stitched up royally since 2010. Standing with Tories in Scotland. Having to take a position on Brexit. Corbyn scaring the establishment because Momentum actually started to do proper political campaigning. Tories using austerity cuts to local councils and the Metro Mayors to deflect the blame.

It’s even starting to cut through here on Merseyside with the local chatter about dodgy councillors and Rotherham not standing for anything other than Peel Ports. 

And it’s a nightmare because there’s vast areas that are just getting abandoned again, and people left with an impression that politicians are all the same. Apathy means Tory rule in perpetuity. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

This is why I have massive respect for your resilience and willingness to actually go out and campaign mate. Labour have had the weight of the popular media against them for years and don't stand a chance until it is deemed "their turn". Usually to pay off the debt run up by the Tories. I'll vote for them, but everything else I can't be arsed with.