You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

No idea where to put this but Labour are linked to the Unions so this will have to do. What is going on with Unite Union?  On the surface this looks like outrageous corruption.

Yeah, there's some murky shit going on, I don't know specifics, but there are large misuses of finances going on from 'secret' slush funds, this isn't just Unite, one of the other big ones I know is secretly paying for the private education, at a very expensive private school, for an illigitimate child of one of the top brass. There's always been rumours that Len had his fingers in the same type of buffet as Chippy Tits got his paws caught in.

This was the tip of the iceberg I was told.

The problem with these places is, form first hand eperience, that they treat work like war and everything is about personal/factional victory first and providing the services they should second, needs a big shake up as they're a real goldfish bowl.

https://news.sky.com/story/unite-boss-mccluskey-faces-calls-for-inquiry-over-98m-spend-on-hotel-and-conference-centre-12267579

What the fuck? Regardless of any dodgy dealings during the tendering/ construction, why were they building a fucking hotel in the first place?

I wonder if my subs entitle me to a discount on the gym or a free buffet breakfast.

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, there's some murky shit going on, I don't know specifics, but there are large misuses of finances going on from 'secret' slush funds, this isn't just Unite, one of the other big ones I know is secretly paying for the private education, at a very expensive private school, for an illigitimate child of one of the top brass. 

The problem with these places is, form first hand eperience, that they treat work like war and everything is about personal/factional victory first and providing the services they should second, needs a big shake up as they're a real goldfish bowl.

Was watching McCluskey swerving Sky news yesterday. Never a good sign when they’re hiding.

19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

https://news.sky.com/story/unite-boss-mccluskey-faces-calls-for-inquiry-over-98m-spend-on-hotel-and-conference-centre-12267579

What the fuck? Regardless of any dodgy dealings during the tendering/ construction, why were they building a fucking hotel in the first place?

I wonder if my subs entitle me to a discount on the gym or a free buffet breakfast.

Generates revenue and keeps assests safe, on the face of it it makes sense and protects the union longterm if done properly, it's this or invest/speculate which is very volitile.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, there's some murky shit going on, I don't know specifics, but there are large misuses of finances going on from 'secret' slush funds, this isn't just Unite, one of the other big ones I know is secretly paying for the private education, at a very expensive private school, for an illigitimate child of one of the top brass. There's always been rumours that Len had his fingers in the same type of buffet as Chippy Tits got his paws caught in.

I also have it on good authority that his son is a cunt, too.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We've got a few gobby nobheads like that in our place.  It seems to be a Unite thing: shouting is prioritised over actually achieving stuff for the members. 

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

We've got a few gobby nobheads like that in our place.  It seems to be a Unite thing: shouting is prioritised over actually achieving stuff for the members. 

I go out drinking with a few, seniorish, people from a couple of the big unions every now and again and genuinely the amount of conversations that start with 'remember that time I fucked him/her over...' I make a joke of it and it doesn't phase them.

Work is constant scheming and one upmanship, obviously won't be fully representative, but it's definately part of the culture.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I know it’s simplistic, naive and let’s face it probably inaccurate but you like to think of the Unions as the good guys, there to protect the vulnerable, so it’s somehow worse when they get implicated in stuff like this.

I think that is one of the reason Starmer gets lots of stick. I agree we should Unite (see what I did there) and go after the Tories. However, I expect the Tories to be self serving corrupt cunts, so am not surprised. Hence the outrage when Labour/Unions are self serving corrupt cunts. 

Ironically when the Tories are caught being self serving corrupt cunts, the do unite to defend each other, which confirms they are indeed self serving corrupt cunts. 

Sounds pretty similar to most of the offices I've worked in, tbf, which have mostly been private sector. In my experience it's always down to a failure of management: either they turn the other cheek or fully partake themselves.

37 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Interesting blog post doing the rounds on Twitter this morning.

https://westenglandbylines.co.uk/open-letter-to-keir-starmer-leader-of-the-opposition/

Sounds good- only thing is that the SNP probably won't be interested as they've a reasonable shot at another independence referendum and they don't need an alliance to be in power at Holyrood. The Lib Dems enabled a Tory government- although we did get 5p shopping bags and a pointless referendum on a shit voting system- and stupidly let Johnson off the hook in 2019 because they thought they could get a few extra seats. I wouldn't trust either of those, let alone Labour in its current state, to put aside short term party interests for the good of the country/ democracy. The chance to do these sort of things was under Blair and he was far too timid.

4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I know it’s simplistic, naive and let’s face it probably inaccurate but you like to think of the Unions as the good guys, there to protect the vulnerable, so it’s somehow worse when they get implicated in stuff like this.

Jimmy Hoffa in particular was known for being a real solid egg.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Jimmy Hoffa in particular was known for being a real solid egg.

Well, different Continent and age for a start. I was a long time member of UCAT and they did some very,very good things, I was even a shop steward for a short time in the late 80s and I’ll always believe that a Union is a fine concept. Of course  there is going to be downsides and regrettably corruption, just like in every other walk of life.

I can put up with some things, but this is the straw that broke the camels back, does the Corbyn bandwagon still pass by here or have I missed it?

Controversial line: “I quite like VAR. This is the lawyer in me. I quite like the right decision, although as ever it depends who’s playing.” Even football-illiterate Friday Playbook knows such an admission could mean political peril.

21 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I can put up with some things, but this is the straw that broke the camels back, does the Corbyn bandwagon still pass by here or have I missed it?

Controversial line: “I quite like VAR. This is the lawyer in me. I quite like the right decision, although as ever it depends who’s playing.” Even football-illiterate Friday Playbook knows such an admission could mean political peril.

If he thinks VAR provides the right decision he clearly never watches football and is being advised on these matters by a Manc.

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Missed it but apparently Starmer had a very good PMQ's today although the Pm again didn't answer any questions. 

Yeah, dragged him all over the place, but ‘alas’ our cunt in chief blustered and lies throughout, one lie was discounted ten minutes earlier in the session yet he still brazened it out again.

Hoyle is fucking pointless.

• Upvote 2