You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

Labour won't get back in power in my lifetime. The tory tendrils extend too far into the mind-bending media. 

Labour will have leader after leader come in, be dismantled by the press or their own supporters for not being Corbyn enough leaving a series of Johnsons to come in and sail through scandal after scandal with no consequences. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

So, he goes to a church which no cunt wants to do on a Sunday and gets pilloried, firstly wrong church, secondly this one had a scandal attached. Nobody would have paid this any attention whatsofuckingever if dickheads ‘on the left’ on Twitter hadn’t dragged him over the coals for it, not even mentioning the sick bullshit they pulled on his post about Cheryl Gillian.

Nonsense. The church’s homophobic views have been public knowledge since Theresa May visited it four years ago. Of course Starmer’s visit wasn’t going to go unnoticed. 

LGBT+ Labour network raised the issue privately with his office and received an apology in private, but they were asking for a public apology and for Starmer’s video to be deleted. Instead they got Rachel Reeves on Sky trying to downplay the visit. After that they went public and forced Starmer’s hand.

We were promised a new era of competence and facing up to responsibility with Starmer at the helm. He and his team failed on both counts here, the latest in a series of instances. This shitshow is on them, not on the Twitter randos you’re determined to deflect blame onto at every opportunity.

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, Neil G said:

Nonsense. The church’s homophobic views have been public knowledge since Theresa May visited it four years ago. Of course Starmer’s visit wasn’t going to go unnoticed. 

LGBT+ Labour network raised the issue privately with his office and received an apology in private, but they were asking for a public apology and for Starmer’s video to be deleted. Instead they got Rachel Reeves on Sky trying to downplay the visit. After that they went public and forced Starmer’s hand.

We were promised a new era of competence and facing up to responsibility with Starmer at the helm. He and his team failed on both counts here, the latest in a series of instances. This shitshow is on them, not on the Twitter randos you’re determined to deflect blame onto at every opportunity.

Really?

Didn't know that, fucksake.

Place firmly in the being advised by fucking idiots colum.

This is going swimmingly...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Really?

Didn't know that, fucksake.

Place firmly in the being advised by fucking idiots colum.

This is going swimmingly...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-worshipping-pastor-agu-irukwu-campaigned-against-gay-equality-jesus-house-a7763996.html

https://twitter.com/bencsmoke/status/1379040593767194630

It's more than just bad advice. The delay in publicly acknowledging and apologising is on Starmer, the buck stops with him.

I could just about forgive the rank incompetence from his team if they resolved to sharpen up their act, but the refusal to promptly hold hands up and say sorry without waiting to be forced is inexcusable, all the more so given that Corbyn and RLB got booted for the very same. 

• Upvote 1

While I agree with you Neil, doesn't it also show how fucked up the current situation is? The Labour leader has got to navigate a minefield of going to a church that's espoused anti LGBT views with the ensuing fallout set to tie him and everyone else involved up for days if not weeks, yet meanwhile the country is led by a man who once called gay people 'tank-topped bumboys'. It's almost like the playing field is not entirely level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neil G said:

Did LGBT+ Labour ever publicly criticise the last leader for, let's be honest, continual hobnobbing with people and states who are hostile to gay rights?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Did LGBT+ Labour ever publicly criticise the last leader for, let's be honest, continual hobnobbing with people and states who are hostile to gay rights?

I am not sure why LGBT would be attached to Corbyn particularly unless they felt he was doing a good job in the area , and 'Labour' never stopped criticising him about everything from getting out of bed wrong and onward.

If you mean he had some sympathies with people who didn't like the horrific tendency toward racism and the casual killing of people by the Israeli government you may have a point.

17 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

17 minutes that took to shoehorn Palestine into the conversation. To be honest I’m a bit disappointed.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

17 minutes that took to shoehorn Palestine into the conversation. To be honest I’m a bit disappointed.  

I'm more disappointed it took over an hour to shoehorn a completely irrelevant comment about Corbyn into a conversation about Starmer.

44 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

He appeared on Iran TV for £20k and homosexuality is still punishable by death in Iran so its hard to see how he was "doing a good job " on behalf of the LGBT community but each to their own.  

I think they LGBT Community will be the ones to make judgement on whether he was doing a good job, not a group of straight lads on an internet forum.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

OK.

Rico reckons this has nothing to do with support for Palestine.  Which people and states were you referring to  (assuming that a brief stint on Press TV doesn't count as "continual hobnobbing")?

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

OK.

Rico reckons this has nothing to do with support for Palestine.  Which people and states were you referring to  (assuming that a brief stint on Press TV doesn't count as "continual hobnobbing")?

With the best will in the world, it's hard to find anyone among the litany of homophobic Islamists he met with/defended/invited to Parliament/etc who isn't also vehemently anti-Israel.

But I'm not remotely interested in that. I just want to know if Labour's LGBT network has spoken out like this before. It's difficult to understand why nobody will answer the question.

What church did Starmer go to 3,4,5 years ago ? 

Maybe people are more likely to be called out when they are the leader of the party and have a higher profile, as opposed to before they were leader and just a relatively unknown back bencher.

Or maybe now we can go through Starmers entire political history and call him out on stuff from before he became leader and know that is what he thinks or would do now.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

With the best will in the world, it's hard to find anyone among the litany of homophobic Islamists he met with/defended/invited to Parliament/etc who isn't also vehemently anti-Israel.

But I'm not remotely interested in that. I just want to know if Labour's LGBT network has spoken out like this before. It's difficult to understand why nobody will answer the question.

You flipped it there. He never invited any "homophobic Islamists" because he's a fan of homophobia or Islamism, did he?  You know as well as I do - and, more to the point, Rico knows - that you were referring specifically to people Corbyn has associated with in connection with campaigns for Palestinian rights.  Fair enough; you've got your opinions, I've got mine. I'm just pointing out that Rico is acting like a disingenuous turd by pretending that Sir Roger "shoehorned" Palestine into a reply to your post about Corbyn and supporters of Palestine.