You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

I think Blair’s Government did some wonderful things, certainly not perfect but I’m 56 and they are easily the best Government I’ve ever known in my life time and he’s easily the best PM. Iraq will always define him but domestically I think he was about as good as you’re going to get, that the left utterly despise him, even more than any Tory maybe even Thatcher, baffles me.

I don't despise him either mate - I despise the fact that to get anywhere near power in this country you've got to ensure that the power brokers are kept happy. Like you said, it was a good time - I just think with the majority he had, he could have done so much more.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

That's a fair point in itself, but then you'd have to ask if he would've given a different answer had he been asked about legalisation, and, looking at what he says here, I really don't think he would have, and for the reason I gave above - that he thinks it's not what the base he's looking to secure want to hear. It was telling, for example, that, even though he was asked about 'cannabis', he responded by talking about 'drugs', which obviously includes things like heroin and coke, and conjures up all sorts of images in Daily Mail readers heads. A bit of a cunts trick in my view, as someone who thinks there's a world of difference between sucking on a spliff and sucking on a crack pipe.

Hopefully someone will ask him specifically about legalisation, noting the argument that crime is associated with its current legal status, and see his response. I fear it would be the same vague 'I've seen the harm it can do' waffle, and reference to 'drugs'.

Probably, yeah. Considering his history in prosecutions I doubt he's going to be the guy to deliver legalisation, but I do think he could be the guy that can boot the tories. 

He's got a long way to go, though.  Especially considering some of his comments this last week or so.

20 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think the party needs to be a lot more imaginative in its use of social media. People under 30 don’t buy Newspapers or watch the BBC news so this questionable thesis that an unsympathetic media controlled by billionaires is distorting the debate is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Labour is probably looking at 10 - 15 years in opposition so needs to usefully use that time to build a completely different way of engaging with the electorate starting at the grassroots. I’ve posted this before but I don’t think the next Labour PM is even an MP yet (unless Dan Jarvis fancies having a go) so they need to use this time to build an alternative way of talking to the voters about creating policies. 

It's only anecdotal but younger people are more likely to vote Labour too - kind of proving the point about the influence of the print media on voting intentions.

I know what you mean about social media though. Twitter is awash with single digit follower accounts who also just happen to have very right wing views.

53 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

F8011717-1851-4EE6-9DCF-1E2B22A3E246.jpeg

Amen. 

When you put it through the Sir Starmer bullshit decipher machine it translates to “we shouldn’t impose one right wing stooge on local party’s as it looks bad what we should do is give them the option of multiple right wing stooges, as we can then pretend we are democratic.”

I sometimes wonder if as a city we would be better off having a Tory run council. At least for a term. As it is nationally we're probably stuck with the fuckers until sometime in the thirties at least. Local Labour take us for granted and are bent as fuck, the Lib Dems aren't really a thing anymore nationally (sorry SD) so have less clout than they may once have had as perspective coalition partners. If we had a Tory led council, I don't know, maybe they wouldn't be so quick to cut us off at the knees financially. 

I mean there's not much of a chance but it would be encouraging if we thought pragmatically instead of tribally when it came to local elections. Especially now there's no prospect of apolitical funding from the EU. 

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think Blair’s Government did some wonderful things, certainly not perfect but I’m 56 and they are easily the best Government I’ve ever known in my life time and he’s easily the best PM. Iraq will always define him but domestically I think he was about as good as you’re going to get, that the left utterly despise him, even more than any Tory maybe even Thatcher, baffles me.

I sat up with my grandad and watched the results in ‘97 made up, labour in at last, seemed like a time for real change.

A lot of people benefitted under New Labour, the big northern cities saw investment in public services such as Liverpool Passport and Tax, Newcastle the Department for Work and Pensions ( I worked on this).

But the smaller regional places apparently saw little, i worked in Crewe for a few years 2003-06, the place seemed to see little investment whilst i was there, and not long after I left, Network Rail moved all of the staff to an office in Manchester (and another load of jobs went to MK).

For places like Crewe who have voted against labour recently, things were not all roses in the Blair years (domestic ignoring the war), people had a few more quid in their pockets but the slide of the high street and town centre was starting - not necessarily the governments fault, but it ties in if people feel there is a lack of investment in the area that contributes to the continuing decline.

Everything is seen through the lens of history, the continued deregulation, PFI, failure to change the core of the voting system to a modern PR type, the business first approach, the insipid failure to stand up properly and get the message out after the financial crash and fight the coalition stories of labour fiscal failure causing austerity - all this adds up on the new Labour governments in the rear view mirror.

Then consider the new labour children meddling in the party under Corbyn’s leadership, it all reflects back, and so people who in 2007 may have thought ah these are not so bad, live under the consequences of their actions /inactions and come to see them as much worse.

• Upvote 3

Any more details come out about this? All very fucking weird. Another angry voice have accused Starmer of declaring war on black Britain, not sure I'd go that far like.

Although I'm not sad to stop getting their 'vote for me' texts. One of them sent me one on valentines day.

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Any more details come out about this? All very fucking weird. Another angry voice have accused Starmer of declaring war on black Britain, not sure I'd go that far like.

Although I'm not sad to stop getting their 'vote for me' texts. One of them sent me one on valentines day.

Nothing.

I text a mate last night who might know something as there was a Big Len, Big Joe and a big bag of cash rumour knocking about and others might be implicated, hence the reinterview/interrogations over the weekend and he’d not heard a word about any of it, where he’d at least hear a second hand whisper normally, but nothing.

All very odd, the fact there’s not been a press release or anything is very fucking strange.

If you were trying to start loads of rumours and accusations against yourself, the ideal way is to do something drastic and unexpected, while refusing to offer any explanation for it.

Labour HQ have played a fucking blinder here. Thank God the grown-ups are back in charge.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If you were trying to start loads of rumours and accusations against yourself, the ideal way is to do something drastic and unexpected, while refusing to offer any explanation for it.

Labour HQ have played a fucking blinder here. Thank God the grown-ups are back in charge.

How so?

This looks fucking appalling.