You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

I don't think it will be high on the agenda for most people voting in these polls as I am sure you are aware there are slightly more pressing matters in the country at present , and other than odd bits about the Corbyn court case it has been barely mentioned outside a few articles in the likes of the Guardian and Indy. Don't let me stop you riding your hobbyhorse though.

I don’t think there’s that much ch interesting in the court case that isn’t even a court case yet. I don’t think much can be read into it, just that there’s not much meat on that bone yet. 

Thank fuck Starmer had the political foresight to make the right call on Labours future eu policy. 

The Labour party has a mountain to climb to win power from the Tories as it is if he'd have listened to his eu favouring mps (and 95% of the posters on here) the MSM added to the more pragmatic side of his party would have torn him to shreds, the Labour party would've been fucked.

https://inews.co.uk/news/analysis/why-keir-starmer-changed-mind-free-movement-rejoin-eu-824071

15 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Thank fuck Starmer had the political foresight to make the right call on Labours future eu policy. 

The Labour party has a mountain to climb to win power from the Tories as it is if he'd have listened to his eu favouring mps (and 95% of the posters on here) the MSM added to the more pragmatic side of his party would have torn him to shreds, the Labour party would've been fucked.

https://inews.co.uk/news/analysis/why-keir-starmer-changed-mind-free-movement-rejoin-eu-824071

Yeah but...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/07/keir-starmer-battles-to-keep-labour-support-for-peoples-vote-alive

Corbyn was quite happy to respect the result of the referendum and leave. We all know what happened next.

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

Yeah but...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/07/keir-starmer-battles-to-keep-labour-support-for-peoples-vote-alive

Corbyn was quite happy to respect the result of the referendum and leave. We all know what happened next.

Then why didn’t he, he was leader and Starmer said at the time that they should accept the result and Labour should fight on the basis of getting a good deal. If Corbyn wanted to accept the result and push on with that, he should have done it. 

On 31/01/2021 at 00:33, sir roger said:

I don't think it will be high on the agenda for most people voting in these polls as I am sure you are aware there are slightly more pressing matters in the country at present , and other than odd bits about the Corbyn court case it has been barely mentioned outside a few articles in the likes of the Guardian and Indy. Don't let me stop you riding your hobbyhorse though.

Just read this now, bit of a shitty comment really by you but then it's what I expect on this thread. You and a handful of others, as soon  as I see a reply I know pretty much exactly what it will say, regardless of the story being talked about, that's why I've only just spotted it now, because there's no point looking. It's great craic, it really is. 

47 minutes ago, Numero said:

Then why didn’t he, he was leader and Starmer said at the time that they should accept the result and Labour should fight on the basis of getting a good deal. If Corbyn wanted to accept the result and push on with that, he should have done it. 

I agree. I was simply responding to Gnasher's post with the suggestion that Starmer's position seems to blow with the politically opportune wind. 

31 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I agree. I was simply responding to Gnasher's post with the suggestion that Starmer's position seems to blow with the politically opportune wind. 

I think he was taking direction from the party. He’s now in charge and it’s on him. I don’t like the way things are going at the moment, but I hope he knows what he’s doing. I’m we are stuck in a loop, it feels like. With the pandemic, Brexit, and the impending financial crisis, there will be opportunity, it’s whether or not he can take advantage of them without looking sly. Probably not. Not yet anyway. It’ll be closer to the election and in the debates where things can really swing. 

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

I think he was taking direction from the party. He’s now in charge and it’s on him. I don’t like the way things are going at the moment, but I hope he knows what he’s doing. I’m we are stuck in a loop, it feels like. With the pandemic, Brexit, and the impending financial crisis, there will be opportunity, it’s whether or not he can take advantage of them without looking sly. Probably not. 

I was indeed talking about the party in general. I think Starmer has been pretty much on the button regarding Brexit and lets be honest it's not been an easy course to navigate.

I've been broadly in support of Starmer I just dont think his strategy of going all in on Corbyn is worth it. Its divisive and counter productive imo plus their are more worthy hills to die on but what do I know?

I think he was taking direction from the party. He’s now in charge and it’s on him. I don’t like the way things are going at the moment, but I hope he knows what he’s doing. I’m we are stuck in a loop, it feels like. With the pandemic, Brexit, and the impending financial crisis, there will be opportunity, it’s whether or not he can take advantage of them without looking sly. Probably not. Not yet anyway. It’ll be closer to the election and in the debates where things can really swing. 

You're probably right. I should make clear that whilst I can't say he's the most inspirational leader they (the members) could have chosen, I understand the reasons and we are where we are. I certainly am not going to spend the entire time sniping just because he isn't Corbyn. I've said before, one thing the Tories are really good at is presenting a united front. The vocal left on Twitter can go on until they're blue in the face about Corbyn not being afforded the same courtesy, but the past isn't going to change. As politically beige as I think he is, I'd rather a Starmer led Labour government than this shower of fucking chancers any day.

12 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

You're probably right. I should make clear that whilst I can't say he's the most inspirational leader they (the members) could have chosen, I understand the reasons and we are where we are. I certainly am not going to spend the entire time sniping just because he isn't Corbyn. I've said before, one thing the Tories are really good at is presenting a united front. The vocal left on Twitter can go on until they're blue in the face about Corbyn not being afforded the same courtesy, but the past isn't going to change. As politically beige as I think he is, I'd rather a Starmer led Labour government than this shower of fucking chancers any day.

Yep that's pretty much my veiw. I just dont understand this attack on the left, counter productive and Starmer needs all the help and votes he can muster.

15 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yep that's pretty much my veiw. I just dont understand this attack on the left, counter productive and Starmer needs all the help and votes he can muster.

I think they're understandably pissed off that Corbyn was never given the support of a sizeable chunk of his own party. They see Starmer (rightly or wrongly) as part of that. Whilst I agree with them to a certain extent, I agree with you- the discord does the party no favours. 

29 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

This is what I don't get about the Labour Left. Surely, it's all about getting the Tories out.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Thing is, we don’t know how beige he is yet. He isn’t at Glastonbury stoking up a crowd, but then that’s not really my idea of inspirational either. What will inspire me is a solid, electable manifesto that works for  the majority of people in the country. Until then, he is in a bit of a shit place. He can’t do much in terms of opposition because he doesn’t have the votes, he can attack the competence of the government but there’s a limit on that at the moment because lots of the country have just voted it in and resent feeling like they might be responsible for voting in this bunch of dickheads so will push back. It’s going to take time. I just want these Tories out.

I have little confidence that Labour will come together because a fair chunk aren’t interested in winning first and gradually chipping away to the left, they want full left from the outset and they’re happy to constantly lose to get there. That’s not reconcilable with the ‘win first’ attitude. I’m personally of the opinion that being out of power with a perfect manifesto is exactly the same thing as having a Tory government. Mainly because that’s reality. Others see it differently and their vote is worth as much as mine. I think Labour needs to split if they can’t get over the Corbyn stuff. They can lose with a perfect manifesto perfectly well without dragging everyone else down with them. They offer a false dichotomy of ‘if it’s not the way we want it then it’s Tory lite’, which is just bullshit. 

4 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I think they're understandably pissed off that Corbyn was never given the support of a sizeable chunk of his own party. They see Starmer (rightly or wrongly) as part of that. Whilst I agree with them to a certain extent, I agree with you- the discord does the party no favours. 

I think you've misread me. I dont get Starmer and the Labour top brass attacking Corbyn. Throwing Corbyn out of the party was a dangerous strategy imo and I think it was unnecessary and will ultimately prove counter productive.

7 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

This is what I don't get about the Labour Left. Surely, it's all about getting the Tories out.

Well I think its Corbyn that's been thrown out of the party by the right so I'm not sure what thats got to do with getting the tories out. Corbyns been in the party since year dot and was leader it was obviously going to be an inflammatory action. Not sure you can blame the left for the reaction as up till then their was little objection to Starmers leadership 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think you've misread me. I dont get Starmer and the Labour top brass attacking Corbyn. Throwing Corbyn out of the party was a dangerous strategy imo and I think it was unnecessary and will ultimately prove counter productive.

I did misread you then! Ultimately, my point stands. Starmer is in charge now, and I'll still be voting Labour.

27 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Well I think its Corbyn that's been thrown out of the party by the right so I'm not sure what thats got to do with getting the tories out. Corbyns been in the party since year dot and was leader it was obviously going to be an inflammatory action. Not sure you can blame the left for the reaction as up till then their was little objection to Starmers leadership 

Has Corbyn actually been banished from the party full time now? I have stopped reading anything about him as it's all the same stuff ad nauseam infinitum.

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Has Corbyn actually been banished from the party full time now? I have stopped reading anything about him as it's all the same stuff ad nauseam infinitum.

I'm not sure how it works as I'm not a member. I think hes had the whip taken so I think it's a bit half in half out though I'm guessing. The Labour hierarchy definitely made his potential expulsion a big deal though for some reason. 

Except, of course, he hasn’t. 

Ok he was suspended, and suspended with great fanfare. to quote pink floyd ' us us us us us and them them them them them 'whod deny it's what the fightings all about"

A bit like throwing someone who has lived in your house for 40 years out in the snow then grumbling that his mates have shouted a few things back through the letterbox.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-54746452

40 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Ok he was suspended, and suspended with great fanfare.

And now he is back in. No idea about the fanfare, seems made up. Some people were very happy, because they were the victims of what the report found to be some pretty shitty stuff. Some were incensed because they're 'rah-rah' Corbynistas. Most people just want it to go away. Also, your analogy is fucking shit. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Ok he was suspended, and suspended with great fanfare. to quote pink floyd ' us us us us us and them them them them them 'whod deny it's what the fightings all about"

A bit like throwing someone who has lived in your house for 40 years out in the snow then grumbling that his mates have shouted a few things back through the letterbox.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-54746452

Negged. 

If you are going to quote something, do it properly.

Down (down, down, down, down)
And out (out, out, out, out)
It can't be helped that there's a lot of it about
With (with, with, with), without
And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?

Just now, Numero said:

And now he is back in. No idea about the fanfare, seems made up. Some people were very happy, because they were the victims of what the report found to be some pretty shitty stuff. Some were incensed because they're 'rah-rah' Corbynistas. Most people just want it to go away. Also, your analogy is fucking shit. 

Fanfare made up? It was all over the news for days as it was always going to be.

These happy people you talk about? Tracy Oberon, Maureen Lipman and John Mann seemed overjoyed, not sure it did anything to help real victims of anti semitism and this "shitty stuff"  but I'm not sure that is really the point of this political game anyway.

If you want to go into the broader picture Starmer was elected on a ticket that included a call for unity. His actions have so far had the opposite effect. I'm not convinced right wing labour members like Ruth Smeer will win over disaffected labour voters judging by her election results but there you go.  

Just now, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Negged. 

If you are going to quote something, do it properly.

Down (down, down, down, down)
And out (out, out, out, out)
It can't be helped that there's a lot of it about
With (with, with, with), without
And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?

That's it. I was trying to sing it in my head.

21 minutes ago, Numero said:

I've just looked I cant find any criticism of Starmer by Corbyn, I might be wrong but I haven't heard it. My point is Starmer is fighting a battle he'd already won, if he wanted it to go away he should have quit when he'd won. 

The aftermath gave the appearance of settling scores and petty bullying by the labour hierarchy