You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Doesn't need many of them. Their readership probably is to the left of the Tory Party, and they might think a Starmer led Labour Party might represent them. 

He will probably lose more with Labour people seeing this as confirming he has very little different to offer than the Tories than he will gain from Tory wets. It must have got past the focus groups though.

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Cold days in hell spring to mind

There’s quite a few people in the middle who are floating voters. At some point Labour are going to have to start winning votes rather than just not being interested in the votes of those they already have. Well, if they’re serious about winning power and improving lives, rather than pretending they’d be better but whilst doing and changing nothing. 

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

He will probably lose more with Labour people seeing this as confirming he has very little different to offer than the Tories than he will gain from Tory wets. It must have got past the focus groups though.

Then fuck them. I can’t say this with enough emphasis, but anybody who would sooner enable to Tories because the Labour leader is writing an article in a paper they don’t like is a bad person. In fact, I hate them more than the Tories. They’re not only enabling the shithouses but they’re thick as pig shit. Fuck each and every single one of the daft, selfish, holier-than-you, selfish, stupid twats. If writing in a paper is enough to lose a vote, they were never voting Starmer anyway. So... see ya. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

As long as they're lost in the right constituencies they won't care. 

7 minutes ago, Numero said:

Then fuck them. I can’t say this with enough emphasis, but anybody who would sooner enable to Tories because the Labour leader is writing an article in a paper they don’t like is a bad person. In fact, I hate them more than the Tories. They’re not only enabling the shithouses but they’re thick as pig shit. Fuck each and every single one of the daft, selfish, holier-than-you, selfish, stupid twats. If writing in a paper is enough to lose a vote, they were never voting Starmer anyway. So... see ya. 

I already regret this post, but fuck me, I’m so frustrated with these Tory cunts. Every time I turn on the TV they’re ruining somebody else’s life. I just find it so hard to hear people talk about those not voting for the only opposition that can take power from them because he wrote an article in the ‘wrong’ paper. Yeah, let the kids starve under the Tories because Starmer wrote something for a paper that’s seen as too Tory. It makes no fucking sense. If that’s the aforementioned line in the sand, then nuke the fucking beach from orbit. 

11 minutes ago, Numero said:

It's not just the paper though is it , its drip drip, drip practically every other day.

Realistically what is he bringing positively to the party ?

20 minutes ago, sir roger said:

It's not just the paper though is it , its drip drip, drip practically every other day.

Realistically what is he bringing positively to the party ?

Well, I’m not here to argue a case for one guy, he just happens to be in charge of the only group that can actually win power. He has made inroads into making Labour more electable in his first six or so months in charge having gone up 20 odd points, so that’s a good thing (again, that’s if you actually want the Tories out). Is there anybody else that could make them more electable? Maybe, but he is the one Labour members chose. His job now is to make them credible and electable in a representative democracy. These are just base factors for anybody looking to win an election against the Tories. He and his team need to go about creating a policy platform and then uniting the party around it. If he can’t do that, get rid of the fucker and replace him with somebody who can win an election. At the moment, he looks like just about the only credible leader in the Labour Party who is senior enough to take the role. He has experience in leading a serious outfit, he has achieved spectacular success in his professional field, and seems intelligent to me. I’m not sure there’s anybody better in the Labour Party at the moment in terms of electability. Do you? 

54 minutes ago, Numero said:

At the moment, he looks like just about the only credible leader in the Labour Party who is senior enough to take the role. He has experience in leading a serious outfit, he has achieved spectacular success in his professional field, and seems intelligent to me. 

You have more or less enunciated why I voted for the guy in the leadership election and thought he would grow into the role , but honestly I am not seeing it in practice. Professional is good, but dull with no obvious sign of a personality is not , and for one of the top lawyers in the country he seems very nervous and a bit chippy in interviews and not very quick on his feet in Parliament.

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

You have more or less enunciated why I voted for the guy in the leadership election and thought he would grow into the role , but honestly I am not seeing it in practice. Professional is good, but dull with no obvious sign of a personality is not , and for one of the top lawyers in the country he seems very nervous and a bit chippy in interviews and not very quick on his feet in Parliament.

He doesn’t really come across that way to me, tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

True, I also expect his tactics to change closer to the election. 

There was a piece in the Guardian earlier this week from that awful Polly woman suggesting that Johnson is eyeing 2022 for an election as 2024 is slated for the absolute economic nadir of the covid / brexit hits and 2022 would give him time to get the proposed electoral changes through giving him a possible net 10 mp boost,  and to work a tweak to the 5 year cycle act.

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

There was a piece in the Guardian earlier this week from that awful Polly woman suggesting that Johnson is eyeing 2022 for an election as 2024 is slated for the absolute economic nadir of the covid / brexit hits and 2022 would give him time to get the proposed electoral changes through giving him a possible net 10 mp boost,  and to work a tweak to the 5 year cycle act.

The joy of it all! 

53 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Can't see that at all although it'd be a brilliant opportunity for Labour.

The Covid disaster still fresh in everybody's memory and Brexit grinding everything good into dust

On 13/01/2021 at 23:17, sir roger said:

I can't see that at all?

Calling yet another election 2.5 years after the last one when you have a huge majority would just look opportunistic. 

The way things are going, I can see Johnson being forced out before the next election. It clearly grates a number of people in the tory party seeing that useless cunt in charge, and a long tenure with him in charge will potentially do them a lot of damage.  

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I can't see that at all?

Calling yet another election 2.5 years after the last one when you have a huge majority would just look opportunistic. 

The way things are going, I can see Johnson being forced out before the next election. It clearly grates a number of people in the tory party seeing that useless cunt in charge, and a long tenure with him in charge will potentially do them a lot of damage.  

Appears that way to me too at present , but I suppose things will look a bit different once ( hopefully ) covid is more or less behind us , and if Labour and the Lib Dems aren't making inroads.