You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Comparisons between New Labour and Tory Lite are lazy too. I lived under the Tories, then under New Labour, then under the Tories again. Living under New Labour was quite considerably better. 

This is true.

Anyone who says "I can't vote Labour because they're just the same as the Tories" needs to be stripped to their undies and chucked in a nettle patch.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

The S*n stuff is shit but the constant fixation with Blair genuinely baffles me, it seems to have totally exploded under Corbyn. I don't remember Ed Miliband or Brown (!) being arsed about him, he also won an election after the Iraq War, so seemingly  the British public weren't that arsed either. 

I bet if you got a machine learning algorithm and went through a lot of Labour social media/blogs etc that support Corbyn, Blair would be the biggest name in that word cloud, far bigger than May, Cameron, Osborne, Clegg, Johnson and all the rest of it. A lot of the same people seem strangely fixated with Biden too. 

It's become trendy to bash him, but the fact remains he's the only Labour leader to win an election in my lifetime - and I'm now legally too old to join the Airforce. 

Comparisons between New Labour and Tory Lite are lazy too. I lived under the Tories, then under New Labour, then under the Tories again. Living under New Labour was quite considerably better. 

By the time of the next general election, Blair will have been the only Labour leader to have won a general election in half a century. It's a mind-blowing statistic.

But if you think about it, that's his crime. Being popular, having policies people wanted to vote for, making the compromises required from anyone who seeks power, and generally making a difference to people's lives - and doing all of this from the political centre-left.

Blair's biggest enemies within the Labour movement have kidded themselves that what people really want aren't the policies that delivered landslide victories in 1997 and 2001, but a raft of comedy left-wing policies the likes of which were already stale when they resulted in humiliating election defeat in 1983.

Starmer is never going to support the idea of the Queen being burnt at the stake or demand that Union Jacks be lowered on all public buildings and replaced with the flag of the PLO or whatever other student union debating society bullshit is being churned out by the usual suspects this week. But none of this makes him "Tory Lite".

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

By the time of the next general election, Blair will have been the only Labour leader to have won a general election in half a century. It's a mind-blowing statistic.

But if you think about it, that's his crime. Being popular, having policies people wanted to vote for, making the compromises required from anyone who seeks power, and generally making a difference to people's lives - and doing all of this from the political centre-left.

Blair's biggest enemies within the Labour movement have kidded themselves that what people really want aren't the policies that delivered landslide victories in 1997 and 2001, but a raft of comedy left-wing policies the likes of which were already stale when they resulted in humiliating election defeat in 1983.

Starmer is never going to support the idea of the Queen being burnt at the stake or demand that Union Jacks be lowered on all public buildings and replaced with the flag of the PLO or whatever other student union debating society bullshit is being churned out by the usual suspects this week. But none of this makes him "Tory Lite".

Bom bom bom bom

Mr Strawman

Shit me some shit....

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes, that is exactly what we want , helpful.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

But if you think about it, that's his crime. Being popular,

Being popular, that's it!! Being popular is key and you've unlocked that key... now who else can we use as an example of "being popular" 

having policies people wanted to vote for, making the compromises required from anyone who seeks power, and generally making a difference to people's lives - and doing all of this from the political centre-left.

Like free tuition fees? You're on a roll

Thinly veiled post that means to say...

'can you be the next leader we jump into bed with please Mr Starmer, we'll be good honest, the tories have bombed us out and the rest of the country fucking hate us'

56 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

"Taking responsibility" Is a really stupid way of analysing the reasons for election results though. 

Agreed

That's why I didn't say it.

I said he should take responsibility for the result... don't think this is a particularly radical suggestion.

Once that's done the analysis can begin. 

Just now, Brownie said:

Depressing that the government are so popular considering the absolute disgraceful response to COVID.

Imagine how a government under any other party would be polling.

The Tories have just won a landslide election, it’s going to take a while for those people to admit they were wrong voting for them. Then there’s the massive chunk of English people who will just vote for them not matter what. 

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

87% of Tory voters still back Alex.

We’re living in different realities. 

They're suffering from cognitive dissonance but he's their guy. I think the Tory vote would collapse if he wasn't leader. It'll take a little while longer whilst he is, but it's inevitable as the furlough money is eventually going to stop and we're about to see supermarket shelves with very little fresh food just as soon as the stockpiled supplies run out.

17 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The S*n stuff is shit but the constant fixation with Blair genuinely baffles me, it seems to have totally exploded under Corbyn. I don't remember Ed Miliband or Brown (!) being arsed about him, he also won an election after the Iraq War, so seemingly  the British public weren't that arsed either. 

Wrong. Gordon Brown was infact very "arsed" with Tony Blair it's common knowledge.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/blair-brown-war-two-fronts-1897146.html

Tony Blair did indeed win an election after the Iraq war although Labours majority was slashed to approx 67 seats from 167 against a conservative party that was in disarray. The only main party to oppose the Iraq war was the liberals who had their best result for decades and won approx 62 seats. Your last comment about the British public not being that arsed seems to be born out of the need to take another bizarre swipe at Jeremy Corbyn but as the old saying goes 'blind fury often leads to irrational thought. 

https://www.counterfire.org/articles/history/19460-15-years-on-from-the-biggest-protest-in-british-history

I bet if you got a machine learning algorithm and went through a lot of Labour social media/blogs etc that support Corbyn, Blair would be the biggest name in that word cloud, far bigger than May, Cameron, Osborne, Clegg, Johnson and all the rest of it. A lot of the same people seem strangely fixated with Biden too. 

It's become trendy to bash him, but the fact remains he's the only Labour leader to win an election in my lifetime - and I'm now legally too old to join the Airforce.