You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

I take it back.  I actually thought you were intelligent and maybe you were just one of these grifter types but you’re actually just that thick.

I know the word Corbyn seems to send you into some sort of mental episode when you see it so I’ll try not to use it too much. Corbyn changed the landscape of British politics.  Before he came into power Labour were abstaining on austerity measures and being out-lefted on manifestos by the Liberal Democrats.  The conversation about raising taxes or reducing/abolishing tuition fees wasn’t even an after thought for the cunts running the party and it was haemorrhaging votes which is the whole reason they opened up the “left” conversation with the whole party.  It then took a massive amount of McCarthyite smearing over years and getting into bed with the tories to try to destroy him.  Throughout the whole period he forced the conversation left and defeated the tories in parliament a laughable number of times.

Labour occupying the centre right position means the tories shift right.  It’s just a fact evidenced over years in British politics.  The fact you just flat out deny it’s happening ends the conversation for me.  It’s going to take you to educate yourself and have that lightbulb moment before you can evolve.

You might have missed the last election

It was Labour's worst performance since 1932 and gave the Tories an 80 seat majority

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

I take it back.  I actually thought you were intelligent and maybe you were just one of these grifter types but you’re actually just that thick.

I know the word Corbyn seems to send you into some sort of mental episode when you see it so I’ll try not to use it too much. Corbyn changed the landscape of British politics.  Before he came into power Labour were abstaining on austerity measures and being out-lefted on manifestos by the Liberal Democrats.  The conversation about raising taxes or reducing/abolishing tuition fees wasn’t even an after thought for the cunts running the party and it was haemorrhaging votes which is the whole reason they opened up the “left” conversation with the whole party.  It then took a massive amount of McCarthyite smearing over years and getting into bed with the tories to try to destroy him.  Throughout the whole period he forced the conversation left and defeated the tories in parliament a laughable number of times.

Labour occupying the centre right position means the tories shift right.  It’s just a fact evidenced over years in British politics.  The fact you just flat out deny it’s happening ends the conversation for me.  It’s going to take you to educate yourself and have that lightbulb moment before you can evolve.

Winning without winning.

There's a whole thread in the FF for this kind of rubbish. 

1 minute ago, mattyq said:

You might have missed the last election

It was Labour's worst performance since 1932 and gave the Tories an 80 seat majority

You must have missed the majority of the Parliamentary Labour Party being centre right snakes undermining the left leaning leadership for 4 years.  You must have missed The EU referendum.  You must also have missed the same snakes forcing the party to adopt a second referendum into the manifesto knowing it would completely tank the party at the general election.  You must have missed the same snakes aren’t remotely bothered about rejoining the EU or campaigning for freedom of movement now they’ve regained control of the party.  Risking a no deal brexit at worst and a Johnson led EU deal at best was a small price to pay to get the left out of the leadership.

Taking all of this out of the equation anyway my point still stands.  Losing elections but standing on a left leaning platform will stop the Overton window continuously moving to the right.  The general population will be able to clearly see when things go wrong because of right wing ideas that they can vote for the left wing alternative.  Instead what you have is things going wrong because of right wing ideas and Labour getting the blame.  The likelihood is that if labour had never shifted right then the worst the tories would be is run by someone that is the equivalent of Starmer or Blair.  Now they are the “best option” despite the majority of the country sitting further left economically than either of them.  Following down this path is just going to mean the Labour Party continually moving right. Complete idiots pretending like it isn’t happening doesn’t change the fact that it is.  

Once you’ve got your head out of your arse and educated yourself on all of that come back and we can have a conversation.

• Upvote 4

The S*n stuff is shit but the constant fixation with Blair genuinely baffles me, it seems to have totally exploded under Corbyn. I don't remember Ed Miliband or Brown (!) being arsed about him, he also won an election after the Iraq War, so seemingly  the British public weren't that arsed either. 

I bet if you got a machine learning algorithm and went through a lot of Labour social media/blogs etc that support Corbyn, Blair would be the biggest name in that word cloud, far bigger than May, Cameron, Osborne, Clegg, Johnson and all the rest of it. A lot of the same people seem strangely fixated with Biden too. 

It's become trendy to bash him, but the fact remains he's the only Labour leader to win an election in my lifetime - and I'm now legally too old to join the Airforce. 

Comparisons between New Labour and Tory Lite are lazy too. I lived under the Tories, then under New Labour, then under the Tories again. Living under New Labour was quite considerably better. 

16 minutes ago, The Guest said:

You must have missed the majority of the Parliamentary Labour Party being centre right snakes undermining the left leaning leadership for 4 years.  You must have missed The EU referendum.  You must also have missed the same snakes forcing the party to adopt a second referendum into the manifesto knowing it would completely tank the party at the general election.  You must have missed the same snakes aren’t remotely bothered about rejoining the EU or campaigning for freedom of movement now they’ve regained control of the party.  Risking a no deal brexit at worst and a Johnson led EU deal at best was a small price to pay to get the left out of the leadership.

Taking all of this out of the equation anyway my point still stands.  Losing elections but standing on a left leaning platform will stop the Overton window continuously moving to the right.  The general population will be able to clearly see when things go wrong because of right wing ideas that they can vote for the left wing alternative.  Instead what you have is things going wrong because of right wing ideas and Labour getting the blame.  The likelihood is that if labour had never shifted right then the worst the tories would be is run by someone that is the equivalent of Starmer or Blair.  Now they are the “best option” despite the majority of the country sitting further left economically than either of them.  Following down this path is just going to mean the Labour Party continually moving right. Complete idiots pretending like it isn’t happening doesn’t change the fact that it is.  

Once you’ve got your head out of your arse and educated yourself on all of that come back and we can have a conversation.

Majority, that elected said leader?

Come on, even you must realise how silly that sounds and looks.

So the majority turned on him after they had voted for him, twice?

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Comparisons between New Labour and Tory Lite are lazy too. I lived under the Tories, then under New Labour, then under the Tories again. Living under New Labour was quite considerably better. 

Early New Labour was far better than present day Tory but the economic landscape was vastly different , and let's not forget that by 2015 New Labour was facilitating austerity and bragging that we would be tougher on immigration.

As for Blair he doesn't really register that much other than me reading his thoughts constantly in the Guardian / Indy and thinking he is a cheeky and unself-aware twat lecturing people on anything that moves. More against the real slime of that era like Mandelson and Blunkett to be honest.

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Do you know how Labour Leaders are elected , are you thinking of the Tories ?

Yes, by party members, he won two leadership contests. I voted for him in both.

Now I’m sure all those rabid ‘right wingers’ did the same, until it came to the real plan, to have the ‘majority’ conspire against him and him run a disastrous campaign that anybody with a ounce of prescience could see coming a mile off. 

Bollocks and sounds conspiracy worthy at this point.

He lost because the campaign was shit and the British public reject him for a myriad of reasons, get fucking over it.

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

So how does that equate with your suggestion it means he he had the backing of the the majority of the PLP 

The suggestion was, from another poster, that the majority of the PLP were to quote ‘majority of the Parliamentary Labour Party being centre right snakes‘ which isn’t just stupid, it’s logically impossible as he was elected by the very same people, twice.

15 minutes ago, The Guest said:

"Losing elections but standing on a left leaning platform will stop the Overton window continuously moving to the right"

I almost fell off my seat when I read that

It's got to be one of the daftest things I've ever seen... it's really quite endearing 

1. The Corbyn led Labour Party had a reasonably left leaning platform

2. The Overton window might or might not have shifted leftwards

3. This current Government have shifted Rightwards and don't give a flying fuck about the Overton Window

4. When you lose the election you don't get a prize for Overton Window shiftage. It just means that none of your policies will be implemented and you'll have 5 more years of the Tories who can do what they want

5. The aim is to form a Government and then you can do all your good stuff. If you lose you can't

6. The choice is Tory or Lab unless, of course, you live in Scotland or Norn Ire

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The S*n stuff is shit but the constant fixation with Blair genuinely baffles me, it seems to have totally exploded under Corbyn. I don't remember Ed Miliband or Brown (!) being arsed about him, he also won an election after the Iraq War, so seemingly  the British public weren't that arsed either. 

I bet if you got a machine learning algorithm and went through a lot of Labour social media/blogs etc that support Corbyn, Blair would be the biggest name in that word cloud, far bigger than May, Cameron, Osborne, Clegg, Johnson and all the rest of it. A lot of the same people seem strangely fixated with Biden too. 

It's become trendy to bash him, but the fact remains he's the only Labour leader to win an election in my lifetime - and I'm now legally too old to join the Airforce. 

The reality is that you’re actually a Tory you just can’t or won’t admit it to yourself.  You’re happy for the taxes to stay as they are or get even more in favour of rich people and for the elites to walk away with public money.  You’re happy for the burden of higher education to be placed on individuals with a decision they will make as a child regardless of how that impacts the demographics of the country.  You’re happy for private finance to come into schooling and healthcare probably all because you don’t think it effects you.  That’s okay because it’s a political position but it’s a Tory one.

Tory Lite isn’t a political party.  It isn’t something getting “compared” with new labour.  It’s a phrase to describe political policies which new labour chose to implement that are centre right and they are undeniable because they fucking happened.

The vast majority of peoples lives did not “change” when the parties traded power over the years.  I’m surprised a grown man can actually sum his own life up in that manner.  It’s actually fucking hysterical when you think about it.  “My life was great when I got all these fat loans as a teenager and in my twenties to go out partying in uni.  It’s just now years later when I’ve got to work and pay it all back.  Labour were in charge before so I’ll vote for them my life will be better.”  It’s so fucking stupid it’s difficult to know where to start.

Labour come up with some ingenious but snide right wing ways of boosting the economy.  They encouraged the majority of school leavers into university even though there was not the jobs for that level of qualification when they all finished.  It kept the unemployment level down and they paid for it by putting the cost on the kids going.  They told everyone they would never increase the cost above a thousand a year but then increased it to 3 and told everyone they meant they would never increase it in that 4 year term.  Good one. GBOL.  

They introduced private finance in schooling and the nhs.  It’s complicated and I can’t be arsed writing it all out but they essentially made the nhs better in the short term and kicked the can down the road so somebody else would have to pay for it later.  There’s plenty of documentaries on it.  The academies situation is beyond a joke.

Your life as an individual doesn’t necessarily change because of political parties changing power.  Mainly because you’ve never experienced that time of your life before.  If you’re sitting there though and you’re comfortable but you’re still happy with what Labour started and therefore allowed to the tories to expand on then you’re either completely thick or a selfish cunt who’s going to get bitten in the arse probably when you need a hospital bed at some point.

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The suggestion was, from another poster, that the majority of the PLP were to quote ‘majority of the Parliamentary Labour Party being centre right snakes‘ which isn’t just stupid, it’s logically impossible as he was elected by the very same people, twice.

It’s quite astonishing just how stupid you are.  Like mind boggling.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

???  He wasn't , the PLP is the MPs

He was backed by about 20 odd mp's to join the race each time but then it was down to the members.The vast majority of the mps hated him from the off and didnt try to hide it

9 minutes ago, The Guest said:

It’s quite astonishing just how stupid you are.  Like mind boggling.

Then tell me, genius, how, to quote yourself a majority who are vehemently opposed to something can not only vote for it once, but twice?

This has been amended, my mistake.

Now for the rest, go fuck your self you idiotic conspiracy paddler, get off the internet, engage with the real world and see how fucking dumb, deluded and wrong you fucking are.

You are nothing more than a product of a self defeating echo chamber and it’s genuinely pathetic to see people sucked in to this bullshit. 

This still stands.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

???  He wasn't , the PLP is the MPs

He was backed by about 20 odd mp's to join the race each time but then it was down to the members.The vast majority of the mps hated him from the off and didnt try to hide it

He was voted for by members twice.

Sorry, mixed up PLP/CLP my mistake.

I take back, in part, but the emphasis stands.

22 minutes ago, mattyq said:

"Losing elections but standing on a left leaning platform will stop the Overton window continuously moving to the right"

I almost fell off my seat when I read that

It's got to be one of the daftest things I've ever seen... it's really quite endearing 

1. The Corbyn led Labour Party had a reasonably left leaning platform

2. The Overton window might or might not have shifted leftwards

3. This current Government have shifted Rightwards and don't give a flying fuck about the Overton Window

4. When you lose the election you don't get a prize for Overton Window shiftage. It just means that none of your policies will be implemented and you'll have 5 more years of the Tories who can do what they want

5. The aim is to form a Government and then you can do all your good stuff. If you lose you can't

6. The choice is Tory or Lab unless, of course, you live in Scotland or Norn Ire

I’m not saying they should lose every election.  I’m saying they shouldn’t be scared to lose an election standing on a left leaning platform.  Eventually the right wing party will have to take accountability for right wing ideas and policies because there’s an actual clear alternative in the opposition not just “more of the same” and “nothing fundamentally will change”.  4 years of opposition with a left wing leader being polluted by near enough the whole PLP is not long enough to turn the tide.  Johnson’s Tory party is not the fault of Corbyn.  It’s decades of having a right leaning opposition that’s enabled them to become what they are.

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

He was voted for by members twice.

Sorry, mixed up PLP/CLP my mistake.

I take back, in part, but the emphasis stands.

That’s still wrong you complete muppet.  The CLP stands for a constituency Labour Party not the members of the whole party.  Honestly just stop digging, hold your hands up and admit you’re fucking thick and shouldn’t be involved in this conversation.

And now I’m a conspiracy theorist.  Brilliant.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I can't even be arsed looking for the proof but "Keith" was getting loads of shit LONG before Corbyn was suspended, pretty much from word go and even before.

You keep saying this but I dont think their was. I saved you the bother because you couldn't be arsed so I've had a look myself and I cant find anything of note bar from the odd idiot on twitter.  The labour mps, the left wing commentators and the vast majority of members seemed ok with Starmer being leader. He certainly won by a good margin and was the only realistic candidate. I've found some dissent after the Long Bailey sacking but nothing of note. I cant find a dissenting quote from Corbyn himself against Starmer.

The turning point in the onslaught against Starmer has undoubtedly been the removal of Corbyn from the party. It's when a section of labour mps, labour members, political commentators and the trade unions started to seriously question Starmers judgement. It's why the debate is raging away on here. The muffled noise of a small group of idiots on twitter before was irrelevant and carried no weight.

Stories about him in the canary being in league with MI5 to create a surveillance state, the usual knobheads making a big deal of the fact he was a  'Sir' or a middle class/establishment goon, to crazy stuff about him being somehow responsible for the Rotherham grooming scandal and Jimmy Saville.

As with Corbyn, all genuine criticism of him is lost in the madness. Russian hats, KGB asset and whatnot. This is one of the ironies of the situation, many Corbyn supporters subject Starmer to a lot of the shit Corbyn himself was subjected to.

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

That’s still wrong you complete muppet.  The CLP stands for a constituency Labour Party not the members of the whole party.  Honestly just stop digging, hold your hands up and admit you’re fucking thick and shouldn’t be involved in this conversation.

And now I’m a conspiracy theorist.  Brilliant.

Yeah, I fucked up, I’m doing too many things at the same time and arguing on the internet should be lowest on my to do list.

Thick though, nah.

Now keep peddling this blinked conspiracy about right wing infiltration, it’s really interestingly and doesn’t at all sound mad.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, I fucked up, I’m doing too many things at the same time and arguing on the internet should be lowest on my to do list.

Thick though, nah.

Now keep peddling this blinked conspiracy about right wing infiltration, it’s really interestingly and doesn’t at all sound mad.

Yeah private finance in the NHS and schooling, introducing tuition and top up fees, deregulating banks, keeping largely the same income tax rates as Thatcher (removing the lower rate making it even less progressive), reducing corporation tax to the lowest in Europe giving the tories the opportunity to lower it to the one of the lowest in the world.  None of that right wing stuff happened under labour.  It’s a complete blinkered conspiracy theory.  You fucking muppet.

29 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Yeah private finance in the NHS and schooling, introducing tuition and top up fees, deregulating banks, keeping largely the same income tax rates as Thatcher (removing the lower rate making it even less progressive), reducing corporation tax to the lowest in Europe giving the tories the opportunity to lower it to the one of the lowest in the world.  None of that right wing stuff happened under labour.  It’s a complete blinkered conspiracy theory.  You fucking muppet.

These are the right wing policies you selected to not identify.

National Minimum Wage

Welfare-to- Work programmes (New Deals)

Tax Credits (linked to earnings, loaded towards families)

Increases in Child Benefit

Investments in childcare

Increase in Income Support for pensioners and extra benefits e.g. winter fuel payments,

More generous second state pension for low earners.

Abolition of mortgage tax relief and Married Couples Tax Allowance.

Reduction in basic income tax rate, and increase in top tax rate (latter only from 2010/11) 

Child Benefit, Tax Credits (as above)

Extension of free part-time nursery education to all three and four year olds

National childcare strategy

Sure Start – integrated health, early education, play and parental support

Extension of parental leave and pay

Introduction of an Early Years Curriculum 

More capacity - (extra beds, staff, buildings, activities).

New NHS buildings programme.

National frameworks for quality standards.

Structural reorganisation: establishment of Primary Care Trusts/Foundation Trusts/Strategic Health Authorities. Payment by results. Patient Choice.

More emphasis on public health: e.g smoking ban, more screening 

Increase in school workforce: extra teachers and support staff

New school buildings programme

National strategies to improve quality and consistency of teaching

Performance management: targets and school closures

Curriculum change: introduction of more vocational options at GCSE

Every Child Matters

Guaranteed post-16 learning place and Educational Maintenance Allowance

Reform of higher education funding – variable fees, financed by income-contingent loans Deprived Neighbourhoods and Spatial Inequalities (You can claim back a large percentage of the fees paid in the form of a grant)

National Strategy for Neighbourhood Renewal

Housing Market Renewal and Decent Homes programme

New Deal for Communities

Targeted programmes across other spending areas eg Spearhead areas in health, Excellence in Cities in education, Sure Start 21

In-Work Credit provided a £40 a week bonus to lone parents.

Now, there we're some mistakes, some heinous and unforgivable ones, but to say this is a right wing agenda is absolutely baffling as this had us as the highest individual spend per capita on welfare in Europe.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I’m not saying they should lose every election.  I’m saying they shouldn’t be scared to lose an election standing on a left leaning platform.  Eventually the right wing party will have to take accountability for right wing ideas and policies because there’s an actual clear alternative in the opposition not just “more of the same” and “nothing fundamentally will change”.  4 years of opposition with a left wing leader being polluted by near enough the whole PLP is not long enough to turn the tide.  Johnson’s Tory party is not the fault of Corbyn.  It’s decades of having a right leaning opposition that’s enabled them to become what they are.

I'm sorry, mate, but this is nonsense

Maybe the Lab Party should get a little plaque made up for losing leaders that goes something like.. You don't need Government to be a Winner but he is a Winner.

Lab should be petrified of losing every election because it means the Tories will get back in... unless you're ok with a Tory Government... are you? 

If Lab stand on a manifesto that the Public hate and they get battered in the election that's not a good thing. In any way. It means there is a Tory Government and the Public think the Labour Party are bad dickheads

I agree that Johnson's Tory party is not the fault of Corbyn. 100% It's on the Tories

But the Tories getting elected is on Corbyn, absolutely. He was the Leader then he takes responsibility