You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

4 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

If a member of the LP said Alex was a fascist they would get called out and condemned by the very same media as the Tories got on their moral high horse about a disgusting attack on them.

Probably get called out by outraged members of their own party as well.  

Yup, we know this, but it would still be presented as above and there would be ample airtime to reply.

That's why we are different from them, for better or worse.

I was thinking of Lavery when I wrote the above, I don't think the BBC have it yet, but I expect it at some point to say 'Prominent Labour member in anti vax conspiracy' and they'd be right to do so as that's what happened.

1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

If a member of the LP said Alex was a fascist they would get called out and condemned by the very same media as the Tories got on their moral high horse about a disgusting attack on them.

Probably get called out by outraged members of their own party as well.  

Exactly, the bbc wouldn't run a "fascist" banner on the bottom of the screen throughout the entirety of his interview. They knew what they were doing, using the soundbite to derail the debate. If they would have mentioned the accusation so Bailey could have refuted the nonsense then fair enough but they jumped at the chance to use the Commie banner.

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yup, we know this, but it would still be presented as above and there would be ample airtime to reply.

I was thinking of Lavery when I wrote the above, I don't think the BBC have it yet, but I expect it at some point to say 'Prominent Labour member in anti vax conspiracy' and they'd be right to do so as that's what happened.

I don't believe it would be presented as above, the media and Tories would just happily take up the moral outrage. 

It is not just Communist but any insult towards the left, Hard Left, Extreme Left is happily ignored during Political conversations, to the point that it is normalised, the previous leader (he who shall not be named) was happily called Extreme Left by all pundits, so much so that it is now believed he was. No way would anyone be allowed to get away with calling a Tory leader, or home secretary etc Extreme right wing, or if they or their policies were called it, the presenters themselves would be decrying the LP member or Trade unionist (as opposed to business leader) who did. 

They would not be expected to answer such an outrageous attack/allegation, whereas the presenters are happily complicit in correlating Communism and nationalisation.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I don't believe it would be presented as above, the media and Tories would just happily take up the moral outrage. 

It is not just Communist but any insult towards the left, Hard Left, Extreme Left is happily ignored during Political conversations, to the point that it is normalised, the previous leader (he who shall not be named) was happily called Extreme Left by all pundits, so much so that it is now believed he was. No way would anyone be allowed to get away with calling a Tory leader, or home secretary etc Extreme right wing, or if they or their policies were called it, the presenters themselves would be decrying the LP member or Trade unionist (as opposed to business leader) who did. 

They would not be expected to answer such an outrageous attack/allegation, whereas the BBC are happily complicit in correlating Communism and nationalisation.

it would be presented as 'X called Y a Z', the coverage, I don't know, but there would be a right of reply on the BBC, the rest are just echo chambers so not really part of the discussion.

I agree fully with the rest and we know that this is part of the process and need to work on ideas and strategy that penetrates this, that's the real issue and we'll get nowhere until we do, Corbyn and his team did a great job of this in 2017 and what happened there needs to be learned from and utilised.

The problem with communism as a term is that it is so historicaly loaded that the mention of it makes people grab the smelling salt, much like labelling 'patriots' as nationalist. But 'the right' get their knickers in a twist much better than 'we' do and they are much better at complaining directly about it.

19 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Their is no fucking way the bbc would present that segment with a banner like that under a tory minister. I dont know why you keep trying to apologise for the bbc but the bias is not hard to see.

12 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Their is no fucking way the bbc would present that segment with a banner like that under a tory minister. I dont know why you keep trying to apologise for the bbc but the bias is not hard to see.

Sadly, I don't think there's an archive for these but from memory we've had 'liar' 'rapist' 'Islamaphobic' 'biased' 'fraud' 'cronyism' 'far right' in only the past year, unfortunately.

But then you also have Jenrick saying the SNP are causing 'nationalism' and they run with it without seeing the inherent tautology involved.

It's simple churnalism, that's not to say it's right, but the problem is not the headline, it's the publics inability to recognise these as quotes, ideas, stances or outright lies.

We're on the same page here, I see a problem in representation, but I don't think it's as simple as A causes B, I think its A happens because C says B, and that's a fundamental difference.

28 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

They would not be expected to answer such an outrageous attack/allegation, whereas the presenters are happily complicit in correlating Communism and nationalisation.

Well Laura Kuenssberg got found guilty of lying about Corbyn and did she get sacked? Hell no brother! She got a promotion 

And now watch Matlis destroy Johnson, on now.

Newsnight have a different editorial policy, that's why the Tories hate them and want rid.

Don't forget one of Cumming's key objectives was to 'destroy' the BBC.

It's a long term plan to further distort the narrative.

It's nowhere near perfect and that is because it's been asked to bend to the point of breaking.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/21/dominic-cummings-thinktank-called-for-end-of-bbc-in-current-form

I'm usually quick to criticise, so it's only fair that I give credit where it's due. I'm actually easier to please than you might suspect from some of my rants on here. One of the basic things I want is to know that a Labour leader will support workers when they are fighting against injustice.

Nice one.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm usually quick to criticise, so it's only fair that I give credit where it's due. I'm actually easier to please than you might suspect from some of my rants on here. One of the basic things I want is to know that a Labour leader will support workers when they are fighting against injustice.

Nice one.

I mean, sure, if tweeting is the equivalent to 'support'. I personally think it's a two minute tweet. Why would anybody deserve credit for that? To me, typing three sentences on Twitter does very little. It's probably what people want when they criticise him, and it's probably why I don't care when he doesn't. Tweet. Don't Tweet. It achieves nothing. Not tweeting about this wouldn't have meant he was abandoning them, just like he wasn't actually abandoning the teachers last week when he didn't Tweet on time. 

In short, Twitter is shit. 

50 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Nice one.

That's it, you are officially expelled from the Corbynista Cult of Cool People (CCCP).* 

I always knew you were a extreme right wing sycophantic corporatist cunt, no offense.

EDIT: *Corbynista Cult of Completely Principled also applies

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Whatever happened to Rico's gameshow ' Leftie of The Week ' ?

Gone the way of the chance of a fridge magnet from Dave.

I ordered some pens but they never arrived.  I should chase that up.  I’d imagine Gnasher wouldn’t give me his address though and I’m not paying international postage for Cloggy and Mook.  

1 hour ago, Numero said:

I mean, sure, if tweeting is the equivalent to 'support'. I personally think it's a two minute tweet. Why would anybody deserve credit for that? To me, typing three sentences on Twitter does very little. It's probably what people want when they criticise him, and it's probably why I don't care when he doesn't. Tweet. Don't Tweet. It achieves nothing. Not tweeting about this wouldn't have meant he was abandoning them, just like he wasn't actually abandoning the teachers last week when he didn't Tweet on time. 

In short, Twitter is shit. 

Oh I dont know, he's setting out his position, making his opinion clear, which is fair enough. Will a tweet change much? No you're probably right but he cant be expected to cover all the bases so his support can be taken forward by members so hopefully it can be of some use.