You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

5 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Why was it a trap? He would have looked better today by unequivocally saying yesterday that schools have to close today, as they have.

He was trying to set him up over wanting schools to close the next day so he could pin it on him with parents all over the country who weren’t in favour of it. The other stuff is coincidental. 

Bit of a storm in a teacup. I don't think he handled it particularly well or particularly poorly. It was just another politician interview. Corbyn was like that in most interviews because he had people trying to trip him up all the time. I didn't much care about that either. I think the only real difference is that those who had no issue with Corbyn doing the same now have an issue. It's like none of it is actually based on the reality of what was said or done, but about landing gloves. Personally, I shrug at both. It's the same old political bullshit. None of that is what matters to voters. Just already partisan people. 

The number of people who watched that interview will number in the mid hundreds of thousands. It will have no effect on how the majority of people view him whatsoever.

Compare it to the car crash of Johnson going on Marr on Sunday to say schools are safe only to close them about 36 hours later. Now that will resonate with people.

2 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

The number of people who watched that interview will number in the mid hundreds of thousands. It will have no effect on how the majority of people view him whatsoever.

Yep, agreed. I'm all about somebody beating the Tories next election. I'd happily sacrifice Starmer on my kitchen table as an offering to the gods of fortune of it helped get the Tories out. 

Hundreds of thousands might have watched it on Sky. But, what about on the likes of Twitter and Facebook too? 

I agree that it's not that bad an interview. And, it might not necessarily put people off voting for him. But, that's not where he needs to be at the moment. He needs to be encouraging people to vote for him. And I don't think that that interview did that either. Amongst other things. 

Reading the posts before watching the video was an eye opener. I was expecting a motor way pile up, instead what I seen was an interviewer looking for a red top headline to a question he had answered several times already. He certainly didn't lose his temper, he done the opposite when it was clear he wanted to call him a thick cunt.

16 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Compare it to the car crash of Johnson going on Marr on Sunday to say schools are safe only to close them about 36 hours later. Now that will resonate with people.

I hope you're right but I don't think you are.

Johnson will not be asked about what he said two days ago, so it did not happen.

Johnson will be asked about what he said two days ago, he will lie, so it does not matter.

The Sky interview wasn't as bad as I thought, but I have said before, under Corbyn maybe even more so, the opposition are being held to account much more than the people in charge which is outrageous.

People downplay the influence of the media, but if you only saw a 60 second  clip where Starmer "has a car crash" and "Boris" is all relaxed and confident, who would you believe was more competent? 

• Upvote 1

I like the flag being behind him. He is at least trying to show his actually feels a bit patriotic towards the country he wants to lead. 

Remember, I am the man you should listen to on this subject, its exactly pointless gestures like this that will win me over.

• Upvote 1

Just now, A Red said:

I like the flag being behind him. He is at least trying to show his actually feels a bit patriotic towards the country he wants to lead. 

Remember, I am the man you should listen to on this subject, its exactly pointless gestures like this that will win me over.

Needs to get himself a badge, that is his you show true patriotism.

13 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I do agree that he’s playing things too safe at the moment, and it’s frustrating the life out of me. He needs to stand up for people more and paint a picture of how he would be doing things differently. 

It's too early to do too much of that. It'll wash away. What I think needs to be done right now is build a new set of policies and strategies whilst dealing with the pandemic stuff. He needs to build a base of credibility as a cabinet that can take over in a few years. It's in the final year when the pom-poms come out. He can't really stick up for people; they just have absolutely no power. They're completely impotent as far as numbers go. It's just saying stuff and tweeting stuff after that, which they do to a certain extent but it needs to be measured. The more they do that, the more chance is they turn people away. They need to keep their noses clean, not come out with guns blazing. 

I think people are crying out for somebody to fight for them. What they really need is somebody to win for them. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

It's too early to do too much of that. It'll wash away. What I think needs to be done right now is build a new set of policies and strategies whilst dealing with the pandemic stuff. He needs to build a base of credibility as a cabinet that can take over in a few years. It's in the final year when the pom-poms come out. He can't really stick up for people; they just have absolutely no power. They're completely impotent as far as numbers go. It's just saying stuff and tweeting stuff after that, which they do to a certain extent but it needs to be measured. The more they do that, the more chance is they turn people away. They need to keep their noses clean, not come out with guns blazing. 

This.

At this time he needs to be calm and keep his powder dry.

It grates, but I think attacking just now would be like pissing against the wind.

17 minutes ago, Numero said:

I think people are crying out for somebody to fight for them. What they really need is somebody to win for them. 

He’s too low profile. Piers Morgan was having a pop at him on Twitter the other day as he hadn’t appeared on Good Morning Britain since the end of July. That’s piss poor. Since Cummings left Hancock has been on that show about once a week, why is the leader of the opposition not on there every week? That’s a show that attracts about 2 million viewers, mostly families. Get on there even though Morgan is a tit, tell people why the government are inept and how things could be done so much better.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I am underwhelmed, but can understand why his isn't, yet, going for the throat, it helps nobody for panic to be spread by him attacking constantly, I get it, I don't fully agree, but this is where we are. My only fear is that if Alex is told to take a long walk on a short pier by the backbenchers, which is gathering pace, then none of this will stick to the new Tory cunt in charge, though they'll have plenty of ammo to fire back at him, naive perhaps.

'WHY HE WAITED: After the Labour leader was criticized by Twitter Corbynistsas for failing to back the left-wing National Education Union and demanding school closures at the weekend, a second Starmer ally told Playbook he didn’t feel comfortable calling for it while the government hadn’t put in place support for parents or children in terms of things like providing laptops. Playbook is told Starmer was also worried about how the government would cope with the challenge of having primary school children be able to learn at home, as well as the millions of parents who have to step back from their jobs to look after their kids. As Labour came to their position, Starmer regularly told his team: “Not everyone can just switch to Zoom.” Goes to show this week has been an awkward balancing act not just for the government.'

I don't think it is doing Starmer any favours to have his cultist acolytes in the Labour party just dismissing any criticism of him as Twitter Corbynistas.

12 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I don't think it is doing Starmer any favours to have his cultist acolytes in the Labour party just dismissing any criticism of him as Twitter Corbynistas.

If the  criticism was fair and rational, perhaps, but the shit slinging isn’t even based in reality a lot of the time, not has it ever been. It’s either ‘them’ working us through the media or ‘us’ and petty factionalism. 

See Squarker and other idiotic, counter productive nonsense for evidence.

See above where I also said it is forever thus and cyclical, and in truth, pathetic, but part of the game and needs to be factored in when running a campaign.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I do agree that he’s playing things too safe at the moment, and it’s frustrating the life out of me. He needs to stand up for people more and paint a picture of how he would be doing things differently. 

The people he needs to stand up for are going to vote for him anyway.

He needs the "bit of a cunt" vote. Not the window licking far right, but the flip floppers. The type of wankers that might be put off by him saying he doesn't want teachers to be on ventilators, etc. 

The tactic appears to be to say as little as possible about anything. The Biden route. It obviously makes him come across as one of the dullest, most uninspiring, weathervane politicians to have ever lived but you have to assume some laptop gimps have crunched the numbers and reckon it'll pay off. 

It also allows Johnson to keep hanging himself which, hopefully will also switch a few of the "bit of a cunt" group back to Labour.

Edited by Jairzinho

4 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

He’s too low profile. Piers Morgan was having a pop at him on Twitter the other day as he hadn’t appeared on Good Morning Britain since the end of July. That’s piss poor. Since Cummings left Hancock has been on that show about once a week, why is the leader of the opposition not on there every week? That’s a show that attracts about 2 million viewers, mostly families. Get on there even though Morgan is a tit, tell people why the government are inept and how things could be done so much better.

Yeah, not for me. He's always on the box and in interviews. If anything, he's too high profile. I'm sick of hearing his name, tbh. He needs to quietly get about remaking the Labour Party into the broken, divided, unelectable mess than he inherited into something that's modern and eletable. If he can't do that, he's as useless as the last leaders. 

4 hours ago, Numero said:

Why cant he do both? Does it have to be one or the other? A few examples would be for him to start making noise on kids meals/ banning of rent arrears evictions/ a permanant rise in universal credit, permanent measures to help the self employed/ etc.

3 minutes ago, Numero said:

So weird hearing the actually valid criticism towards the cultist, video making, ode-to-Corbyn mental cases being used about Starmer, as if anybody is anything other than neutral due to ignorance. Certainly nobody cultist towards him. 

Ha ha, any mirrors in your house ?

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

So weird hearing the actually valid criticism towards the cultist, video making, ode-to-Corbyn mental cases being used about Starmer, as if anybody is anything other than neutral due to ignorance. Certainly nobody cultist towards him. 

You seem to shoehorn Corbyn into all your posts latley Numero regardless of whether the subject has anything to do with the man or not.

4 hours ago, Numero said:

He was trying to set him up over wanting schools to close the next day so he could pin it on him with parents all over the country who weren’t in favour of it. The other stuff is coincidental. 

Bit of a storm in a teacup. I don't think he handled it particularly well or particularly poorly. It was just another politician interview. Corbyn was like that in most interviews because he had people trying to trip him up all the time. I didn't much care about that either. I think the only real difference is that those who had no issue with Corbyn doing the same now have an issue. It's like none of it is actually based on the reality of what was said or done, but about landing gloves. Personally, I shrug at both. It's the same old political bullshit. None of that is what matters to voters. Just already partisan people. 

Corbyn Corbyn Corbyn