You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

16 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Comrade.

No idea what you mean by this, but...

I have no problem with people from wealthy backgrounds having a social conscience, do you?

If it becomes a patronising ‘pat the poor on the head’ approach then fuck them. If it’s a genuine attempt at social reform and desire to make lasting change we need as many hands and heads as possible.

‘Why don’t they give up their wealth then?’ That’s not a decision for my conscience, thankfully.

Is Umunna self serving? I think he was trying to do his bit and his heart was in the right place, but now he’s gone back to the world he knows, I doubt he could point a colliery town out on the map so he’s doubtful to be putting in an application there.

I have more problems with Watson and principles if we’re dragging people over the coals.

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Johnson you snakey cunt asking why Corbyn is still in the Labour party, speaker tells him its PMQ's. 

Yeah, and I quite liked the response of 'I'm dealing with the issues in my party and you're running away from yours'. That should play well with independents that don't like Corbyn and agree with his suspension, whilst Johnson saying he makes no apology for sticking up for Patel won't play well at all. I've no idea how 40% of the country looks at Johnson - the window licker - and thinks 'yeah, seems like a suitable person to run an entire country'. I mean, for fuck sakes. I wouldn't trust him to run a Burger King. 

9 minutes ago, Numero said:

Yeah, and I quite liked the response of 'I'm dealing with the issues in my party and you're running away from yours'. That should play well with independents that don't like Corbyn and agree with his suspension, whilst Johnson saying he makes no apology for sticking up for Patel won't play well at all. I've no idea how 40% of the country looks at Johnson - the window licker - and thinks 'yeah, seems like a suitable person to run an entire country'. I mean, for fuck sakes. I wouldn't trust him to run a Burger King. 

He is a typical lazy twat. Hates being asked a question. 

1 hour ago, Numero said:

Well if the Labour party gives Johnson bullets for the gun no surprise if he keeps firing them. The labour reaction to Corbyn after a report which didnt directly point the finger at him is proving disastrous. Johnson will have taken heed of the recent Labour poll dip and dwindling membership numbers. 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Well if the Labour party gives Johnson bullets for the gun no surprise if he keeps firing them. The labour reaction to Corbyn after a report which didnt directly point the finger at him is proving disastrous. Johnson will have taken heed of the recent Labour poll dip and dwindling membership numbers. 

Hope so. It’s making Johnson look like a cunt and his numbers are in the dirt. Labour just need to clean up the mess from the last administration and then it’s onward. As for membership numbers... when did they ever win elections? It’s all very well having loads of team members but if you lose an election by a landslide and leave the party with extreme low polling figures, it counts for nothing. Looking long term instead of short term is the key. 

5 hours ago, Numero said:

Hope so. It’s making Johnson look like a cunt and his numbers are in the dirt. Labour just need to clean up the mess from the last administration and then it’s onward. As for membership numbers... when did they ever win elections? It’s all very well having loads of team members but if you lose an election by a landslide and leave the party with extreme low polling figures, it counts for nothing. Looking long term instead of short term is the key. 

Is it making Johnson look a cunt though?  Labour has suffered a dip in the polls and Corbyn now seems a good boogie man to play for crowd tory.  I cant see Johnson not ramming the name Corbyn into his propaganda rhetoric any time soon.

As for the membership dropping, isnt the  membership the finance that keeps an in debt labour party afloat? Or is Starmer planning to go back to the time of large donors from different business and from various different countries? 

14 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Is it making Johnson look a cunt though?  Labour has suffered a dip in the polls and Corbyn now seems a good boogie man to play for crowd tory.  I cant see Johnson not ramming the name Corbyn into his propaganda rhetoric any time soon.

As for the membership dropping, isnt the  membership the finance that keeps an in debt labour party afloat? Or is Starmer planning to go back to the time of large donors from different business and from various different countries? 

There was a bit of a hoo-ha about some of the older ‘bigger’ donors coming back now, who they are I can’t remember, but they stopped handing over money because of Corbyn.

Maybe it was more attritional nonsense from one of the factions. 

From August https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/08/former-labour-donors-returning-to-party-under-keir-starmer-jeremy-corbyn

Labours finances are fucked either way, there’s a rabbit hole nobody wants to go down.

34 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Out of interest, considering he called him out for not having got rid of Corbyn, so you think Starmer letting it go would have stopped the Tories from mentioning it? Think they would have just let the report go? Come on. 

The dip is 3-4 points and considering how devout the Corbyn fans are, that seems okay. Obviously if it keeps going down and down and hits the depths of when he took over, there’s an issue. 

34 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I’ve no idea. I’m not a Labour member and have been since before the Iraq War. No idea what he will do. What I do know is they still have load of members and, I’m fairly sure. More than when they were last in government. My point here is that it isn’t everything. 

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

There was a bit of a hoo-ha about some of the older ‘bigger’ donors coming back now, who they are I can’t remember, but they stopped handing over money because of Corbyn.

Maybe it was more attritional nonsense from one of the factions. 

From August https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/08/former-labour-donors-returning-to-party-under-keir-starmer-jeremy-corbyn

Labours finances are fucked either way, there’s a rabbit hole nobody wants to go down.

I think you get a lot of this. You get the unions causing a stink one week in place if the ones fucking off under Corbyn. Then vice-versa. It’s all about people influencing shit. If they can’t, they threaten to take the money out. The way the unions have behaved is pretty grim. 

30 minutes ago, Numero said:

I think you get a lot of this. You get the unions causing a stink one week in place if the ones fucking off under Corbyn. Then vice-versa. It’s all about people influencing shit. If they can’t, they threaten to take the money out. The way the unions have behaved is pretty grim. 

I think you’re thinking of Big Len, who’s been throwing his weight around.

The Neu is just looking out for its own and it doesn’t surprise me they took the stance they took, though critical of Starmer, their  ire is more towards the Tories, quite rightly.

The sooner Big Len & Prentice sort out when they’re going, and figure out who’s going to get the top jobs the better. I know Unison is 50/50 in ‘Corbynista/not Corbynista’ candidate stakes, with one candidate missing out on standing as she didn’t put the any application in and just assumed she’d be in the running, she shouted and screamed and called a lot of people a lot of bad things before she was allowed to put her name in the hat, doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Unite/Len poking the hornets nest to settle scores as he/they wanted Bailey.

Unison/Prentice support Starmer, that might change when the next person is promoted.

It’s all a bit dicey and incredibly counter productive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/labourlist.org/2020/01/which-labour-leadership-candidates-have-unions-and-affiliates-backed/%3Famp

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Numero said:

What I don’t get is the point in supporting Corbyn. He’s not Labour leader and probably never will be again. So... 

I can get the desire to back him on a personal level but as the leader of an organisation? Fuck that. 

When you’ve got blinkers on you don’t tend to see further afield. 

I know quite a few people in relatively senior positions in the unions and their day to day lives just sound fucking exhausting, they’re constantly plotting, scheming and screaming about each other.

The unions would have a fucking field day with the shit that goes on there...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Numero said:

Out of interest, considering he called him out for not having got rid of Corbyn, so you think Starmer letting it go would have stopped the Tories from mentioning it? Think they would have just let the report go? Come on. 

No but the hula baloo would've probably washed over by now, compere the issue of the report and Corbyn with the tory reaction to the tory housing minister or the Patel controversy. This Corbyn nonsense looks set to rumble on and the labour hierarchy should shoulder their share of the blame.

11 hours ago, Numero said:

The dip is 3-4 points and considering how devout the Corbyn fans are, that seems okay. Obviously if it keeps going down and down and hits the depths of when he took over, there’s an issue. 

I’ve no idea. I’m not a Labour member and have been since before the Iraq War. No idea what he will do. What I do know is they still have load of members and, I’m fairly sure. More than when they were last in government. My point here is that it isn’t everything. 

I'm not saying membership is everything but a large membership is a plus for any political party especially when entering a period where funds will be tight. Relying on large donors bring consequences, they rarely give away money for nothing.