You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Rachel Swindon has hashtagged PMQs with a video of Starmer slowly morphing into Tony Blair. 

I, too, am absolutely gutted that the leader of the opposition is leading the opposition. The sooner this stops and the government are allowed to deflect from their crisis to the latest opposition crisis the sooner I can get that tattoo of a CND logo and we can all go back to normal. 

I’m not sure it was the victory as seems to be on here.

The masks thing was great, but you can easily spin the message that these gambles are necessary. I know far more will follow, but as an opening gambit it did little as there was no explicit mention of Tories lining their own pockets.

The PR was easily, and with someone more sentient even easier, batted away as we need to keep people informed. People no longer question big numbers as they have become meaningless. Again, make the links to toadyism, or it’s meaningless and forgotten.

The vaccine gives them are free pass at the minute, all other problems can be glossed over. The system is still pathetic, they are still lining theirs and their friend pockets, T&T is getting worse and swallowing more and more cash, operation moonspaff has gone through £40b already, how? 

It’s easy to make Johnson look pathetic, he has so little ability to actually do the research or provide answers or competent retorts that it’s embarrassing, the more difficult part is getting the public to see through the bluster and that requires you literally putting him on his arse and showing him and them up for what they are; spivs and chancers in the pay of disaster capitalists who are hell bent on carving the UK up for themselves.

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

I’m not sure it was the victory as seems to be on here.

The masks thing was great, but you can easily spin the message that these gambles are necessary. I know far more will follow, but as an opening gambit it did little as there was no explicit mention of Tories lining their own pockets.

The PR was easily, and with someone more sentient would, batted away as we need to keep people informed. People no longer question big numbers as they have become meaningless. Again, make the links to toadyism, or it’s meaningless and forgotten.

The vaccine gives them are free pass at the minute, all other problems can be glossed over. The system is still pathetic, they are still lining theirs and their friend pockets, T&T is getting worse and swallowing more and more cash, operation moonspaff has gone grouch £40b already, how? 

It’s easy to make Johnson look pathetic, he has so little ability to actually do the research or provide answers or competent retorts that it’s embarrassing, the more difficult part is getting the public to see through the bluster and that requires you literally putting him on his arse and showing him and them up for what they are; spivs and chancers in the pay of disaster capitalist who are hell bent on carving the UK up for themselves.

So I think it plays well to those interested in politics but are swing voters. It won’t play at all to average people. He could have head butted him and it wouldn’t register with a lot who just aren’t interested. 

4 minutes ago, Numero said:

So I think it plays well to those interested in politics but are swing voters. It won’t play at all to average people. He could have head butted him and it wouldn’t register with a lot who just aren’t interested. 

I think we should allow a one off head butt, just to check, you know, just in case.

To be honest I'm not that fussed about PMQs or polls even at this point, I'm more interested in what leaders do behind the scenes to turn parties into organisations that can win elections, and I've got reasonable hopes of him being able to do that, or at least give it a good go. 

I think that's what most people want to see in a party, at least those who aren't that into politics or social activism. It's about the perception of a united front, of structure, of 'being capable' (I know, stop laughing at the back given that the Tories are in power). 

But this is the image Labour needs to project if it's to win those people over, and it's why I get really pissed off with people sticking the boot in for the sake of it. 

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To be honest I'm not that fussed about PMQs or polls even at this point, I'm more interested in what leaders do behind the scenes to turn parties into organisations that can win elections, and I've got reasonable hopes of him being able to do that, or at least give it a good go. 

I think that's what most people want to see in a party, at least those who aren't that into politics or social activism. It's about the perception of a united front, of structure, of 'being capable' (I know, stop laughing at the back given that the Tories are in power). 

But this is the image Labour needs to project if it's to win those people over, and it's why I get really pissed off with people sticking the boot in for the sake of it. 

For me it’s first about repairing and cleaning up, then creating a modern policy initiative, then getting the right strategy when it comes time to fight an election. Polling is secondary, but it is a decent indicator that he isn’t going in the wrong direction. Hopefully this Corbyn thing is dealt with swiftly, and either gets reinstated and pledges himself to the cause or if he gets kicked out the fallout happens as a result follows as quickly as possible. I don’t see many useful politicians who would leave if it happened, and I honestly think that if he remains then the likelihood of that faction being useful or supportive is quite low. It’s going to be an interesting final saga in the first act. 

1 minute ago, Numero said:

For me it’s first about repairing and cleaning up, then creating a modern policy initiative, then getting the right strategy when it comes time to fight an election. Polling is secondary, but it is a decent indicator that he isn’t going in the wrong direction. Hopefully this Corbyn thing is dealt with swiftly, and either gets reinstated and pledges himself to the cause or if he gets kicked out the fallout happens as a result follows as quickly as possible. I don’t see many useful politicians who would leave if it happened, and I honestly think that if he remains then the likelihood of that faction being useful or supportive is quite low. It’s going to be an interesting final saga in the first act. 

When Blair got in there was a 'vibe' of dynamism about the party, as opposed to the Tories that seemed tired and stale. 

There was definitely the feeling of Labour back then all pulling in the same direction, and of the party having some talent at the top. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

When Blair got in there was a 'vibe' of dynamism about the party, as opposed to the Tories that seemed tired and stale. 

There was definitely the feeling of Labour back then all pulling in the same direction, and of the party having some talent at the top. 

Yeah, though he took over a very different Labour Party than the one Starmer took over. Whether or not he repair that chaos is yet to be seen. The fallout from this report was always going to need to be dealt with. I’m actually surprised how well the dealing with the report has gone down and how Labour have basically got off pretty unscathed. 

4 minutes ago, Numero said:

Yeah, though he took over a very different Labour Party than the one Starmer took over. Whether or not he repair that chaos is yet to be seen. The fallout from this report was always going to need to be dealt with. I’m actually surprised how well the dealing with the report has gone down and how Labour have basically got off pretty unscathed. 

‘Never let a good pandemic go to waste’

57 minutes ago, Numero said:

The last couple of polls I've seen have seen them drop a bit, I assumed because of the report.

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The last couple of polls I've seen have seen them drop a bit, I assumed because of the report.

I’ve only seen two since Corbyn got suspended (same day as the report), from yougov and opinium, both up 2pts, with a 5 and 4 point gap over the Tories respectively. 

I’ve obviously heard of ComRes, but who the fuck is Kantar? Honestly never heard of them. Those two seem to have been posted in the last few hours. The others that I saw over the last few days have gains. Be interesting to see if those also go down next time. It’s all about trend, isn’t it. If these ones below come out and show them going down significantly then I think it’s safe to say the trend would have started to shift. 

Edit: these are the ones I was referring to.

On 03/11/2020 at 08:34, lifetime fan said:

The biggest fuck up Blair ever made (Iraq obviously aside) was not agreeing with Ashdown and going for PR. 

This is such a hot take.  This thread and the various other politics threads are full of them.  Completely daft un-thought out ideas that have clearly just been read somewhere else and regurgitated here.  Why would Blair have ever agreed to change the voting system to PR?  For a start it hampers the two party system that of which labour is one of.  Then and now there’s only two party’s that can get into power and Labour is one of them.  It really helps partys outside of those two as they get countless people voting for tories/labour rather than “wasting” their vote.  With PR the vast swathes of actual left wing voters would then walk away and vote for another party.

Completely ignoring all of this though the main reason why he wouldn’t go for PR is that there has been an economic consensus between the tories and labour for decades and as he has even said himself Blair would rather the tories be in power than a left wing Labour Party.  The idea that Blair made a mistake not introducing PR is one the most stupid sentences I think I’ve read on here and I used to read what Rico wrote.

• Downvote 1

Jon Trickett and Ian Lavery, who were both prominent supporters of Jeremy Corbyn and members of the shadow cabinet when he was leader, are calling from an apology from Labour for its stance on Brexit before the 2019 general election.

They were both opponents of the party’s shift towards backing a second referendum during the 2017-19 parliament, and since the general election they have been researching why Labour lost support amongst working class voters. In an article for Huffington Post, they argue an apology would help to rebuild trust. They write:

'At a time when many people think politics is broken and trust in the establishment is at a very low ebb, it is critically important that we reset the relationship between the party and the electorate. It may be that in order to do this we will need frankly to accept that we were mistaken.

So, let’s be honest. Labour got it wrong on a second referendum. The party went against one of the only times in recent history that people felt they could finally express their justified anger at the present political system.

To rebuild trust that has been lost and restore people’s trust in politics – Labour should say sorry. This is not only about Labour winning elections but restoring faith in democracy.

We do not believe that the party can move on until it has put this issue behind us.

For those who will say that the matter is behind us and we should move on, we say it will not do to whitewash or to ignore the recent past.

The country, our voters and our activists all deserve an explanation and perhaps an apology by the party for our actions in the years after the referendum up until the December election.

It must be a settling of accounts with leavers, of course – but also with the remainers, some of whom were falsely led to believe that we might be able to remain.'

Good, good, decent day to air grievances...

I just want to bang my head against a fucking wall.