You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

27 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

And so they should, If I were a Conservative member/voter I would expect nothing less. It’s politics. Labour seem more interested in fighting each other.

I think the labour goal should've  been not to give them a sight on goal.

So flicking through the report, annex 2 refers to Pam Bromley posting memes she's found on 4chan before slagging Corbyn off about his handling of anti-Semitism. The report found that this was offensive(no argument there) but also Labour were responsible for this because: 

"Pam Bromley’s
Facebook profile identified her as a ‘Labour Party member/councillor for
Corbyn’ and her profile picture, at least for part of the period covered by
the posts above, included the words ‘Jeremy Corbyn Keep the Faith’. To
make at least one of the posts above, Pam Bromley used the Facebook
page ‘Cllrbromley Pam’"

She was subsequently suspended and expelled from the party for this.  Am I missing where there's an issue? Politician acts the cunt, gets suspended and expelled from party. 

I'm just going through the thing now trying to educate myself on the subject. 

Edit:

Ken Livingstone defended comments on Facebook from someone comparing the Israeli regime to Nazi Germany from what I can gather. 

He was suspended and resigned from the party. 

Is all this really over 2 social media dickheads? 

2 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

So flicking through the report, annex 2 refers to Pam Bromley posting memes she's found on 4chan before slagging Corbyn off about his handling of anti-Semitism. The report found that this was offensive(no argument there) but also Labour were responsible for this because: 

"Pam Bromley’s
Facebook profile identified her as a ‘Labour Party member/councillor for
Corbyn’ and her profile picture, at least for part of the period covered by
the posts above, included the words ‘Jeremy Corbyn Keep the Faith’. To
make at least one of the posts above, Pam Bromley used the Facebook
page ‘Cllrbromley Pam’"

She was subsequently suspended and expelled from the party for this.  Am I missing where there's an issue? Politician acts the cunt, gets suspended and expelled from party. 

I'm just going through the thing now trying to educate myself on the subject. 

The bulk of the report is more about a fucked-up complaints system (which started to improve in 2018, for some completely unknown reason). It really does not show any sort of culture of anti-Semitism or tolerance or indifference to racism against Jews.*  The Bromley case might show the system working slowly, but it got there in the end. 

(* Admittedly, this is based on a fairly hurried skim-read when it was way past my bedtime.)

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

So, it looks like Corbyn engineered this. He must like Johnson’s government.  Strange. 

Eh hang on maybe Corbyn disagreed with the "people who say it was an exaggeration" bit. He's entitled to as it's his name being slandered/libeled. Why should Corbyn except a condition that is quite frankly ludicrous and unnecessary? 

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The bulk of the report is more about a fucked-up complaints system (which started to improve in 2018, for some completely unknown reason). It really does not show any sort of culture of anti-Semitism or tolerance or indifference to racism against Jews.*  The Bromley case might show the system working slowly, but it got there in the end. 

(* Admittedly, this is based on a fairly hurried skim-read when it was way past my bedtime.)

Not read it, not planning to read it, will never read it. I'd rather read one of my own links than that shit.

Edit: the above acknowledgement will not stop me commenting on the report with an in depth knowledge throughout the day.

• Upvote 1

Graun seem to be confirming he was suspended because of his Facebook post, which again, is nuts considering the EHRC report itself says:

Article 10 will protect Labour Party members who, for example, make legitimate7criticisms of the Israeli government, or express their opinions on internal Party matters, such as the scale of antisemitism within the Party, based on their own experience and within the law. It does not protect criticism of Israel that is antisemitic.

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Eh hang on maybe Corbyn disagreed with the "people who say it was an exaggeration" bit. He's entitled to as it's his name being slandered/libeled. Why should Corbyn except a condition that is quite frankly ludicrous and unnecessary? 

Eh hang on, where is the libelled? That’s a big statement, should be piss easy to prove. 

Oh, and you’re doing it again.

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The bulk of the report is more about a fucked-up complaints system (which started to improve in 2018, for some completely unknown reason). It really does not show any sort of culture of anti-Semitism or tolerance or indifference to racism against Jews.

Yes it does. 

The media say it does. 

The Tories say it does. 

Therefore it does.  

Take your medicine and move on, adapt. 

When Labour win an election then feel free to start a national debate. 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Read the bit after the ‘but’.  The report specifically calls this out. 

Yes, I refer you to the post above:

Article 10 will protect Labour Party members who, for example, make legitimate7criticisms of the Israeli government, or express their opinions on internal Party matters, such as the scale of antisemitism within the Party, based on their own experience and within the law. It does not protect criticism of Israel that is antisemitic.

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Starmer has trapped himself. Although the I'm sure the vast amount of Jewish voters that come back and vote labour will make it worth it. 

You underestimate the amount of people who just wanted an excuse to vote for Johnson.  They happily trotted out the anti-Semitism line in tons of vox pops last year.  It have them a legitimate reason to vote Tory. 

I'm not talking about Jewish voters, I'm talking about a few million swing twats. 

I advise people to watch the video Jair shared which outlines the timeline. 

10am - Report

10:36 - Corbyn Facebook

11:06 - Starmer Presser

13:00 - Corbyn interview saying he doesn’t accept that they were harassing people (report found them to be unlawfully harassing people), and that he didn’t politically interfere (report found LOTO office unlawfully interfered). 
13:06: Suspended

It feels, judging from the post earlier saying he knew what Starmer was going to say in his speech, that he wanted this. It feels like a political move on both sides, although the comments he made seem to have made it pretty hard for Starmer not to act. Maybe a split IS on the cards and they would sooner be shown to be forced out rather than walk away. Interesting time ahead. Could just be giving Corbyn too much credit and it’s just him doing what he thinks is right. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Yes it does. 

The media say it does. 

The Tories say it does. 

Therefore it does.  

Take your medicine and move on, adapt. 

When Labour win an election then feel free to start a national debate. 

So anything negative the media and the Tories say about Labour we should just accept and not say they are saying these things for political reasons ? 

That will make the media and the Tories stop saying negative things about Labour ? 

That is some logic.

13 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

You underestimate the amount of people who just wanted an excuse to vote for Johnson.  They happily trotted out the anti-Semitism line in tons of vox pops last year.  It have them a legitimate reason to vote Tory. 

I'm not talking about Jewish voters, I'm talking about a few million swing twats. 

Yeah that's a fair point.

2 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

I advise people to watch the video Jair shared which outlines the timeline. 

10am - Report

10:36 - Corbyn Facebook

11:06 - Starmer Presser

13:00 - Corbyn interview saying he doesn’t accept that they were harassing people (report found them to be unlawfully harassing people), and that he didn’t politically interfere (report found LOTO office unlawfully interfered). 
13:06: Suspended

It feels, judging from the post earlier saying he knew what Starmer was going to say in his speech, that he wanted this. It feels like a political move on both sides, although the comments he made seem to have made it pretty hard for Starmer not to act. Maybe a split IS on the cards and they would sooner be shown to be forced out rather than walk away. Interesting time ahead. Could just be giving Corbyn too much credit and it’s just him doing what he thinks is right. 

Or a bit of both?

There's a few reasons Corbyn is problematic for a new leader. Firstly, he's the most rebellious MP in the Commons, I can't remember the amount of times he's broken the whip during his career but it's pretty fucking big.

Now, factor into that he now has a faction of Labour that is personally loyal only to him, along with momentum and media outlets. All of whom basicslly all still consider him the boss.

This is compounded by the fact he never seems to think he's done anything wrong. Any criticism he receives is always caveated by "yeah but..." the media, or we won the argument or whatever. 

It's clear those around him and many who support him basically went into hibernation and were angling to fuck up any new direction for the party they didn't personally approve of. Whether it's Abbott criticising Starmer directly on telly, McClusky pulling funding, Momentum pushing Corbyn's heiress apparent in the leadership bid and giving her access to voter ID the other candidates didn't have access to. Even when Long Bailey was fucked off (who, regardless of what you think of her politics - is a lightweight operator, if it was Nandy or Ed Miliband nobody would have given a fuck) the rallying cry from McDonnell (who I'm a huge fan of) was "don't get mad/or leave - organise". Organise what?

Why couldn't Corbyn do an Ed Miliband, who himself has every right to claim he was fucked over by the media and should have been a contender, but is instead eager to simply take his place on the front bench and a be a valued and constructive voice. Was it pure hubris?

All this shit had to happen at some point, sadly. As Ceasar said about Pompey Magnus: "As long as he can be propped on a horse he's banner around which our enemies can rally around." This was the HBO version admittedly, but still.

• Upvote 5