You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Corbyn wants Blair tried for war crimes in The Hague; Starmer pensioning Corbyn off to his allotment is positively gentlemanly in comparison.

That would be a valid point if there were any comparison between stating the obvious fact that tales of "Labour’s anti-Semitism crisis" were exaggerated for political ends and launching an illegal war that killed hundreds of thousands. 

9 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Seriously? Would you list prominent high profile black people then say “can’t stand em and make zero apology” ? Maybe you could explain the difference because I’m not seeing it. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

He’s saying he can’t stand them because of their viewpoint not their ethnicity/religion. Is this not obvious?

Correct. Thank you.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

30% don't know seems a little high, and maybe problematic.

It’s very high, yeah. I’m not entirely sure what to make of it, I wouldn’t be surprised if the more rational folk saw that report and thought ‘hmn... maybe I’m wrong on this’. Maybe I’m wrong and those few crazy bastards still supporting Starmer are on the turn. In short... I dunno. 

22 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

And that tells you nothing in itself?

We’re all being so blindsided by our echo chambers we’re forgetting to think critically. 

It tells me that Starmer isn't popular with different sides of the electorate. Sides he will need to win if he's going to form a government.

Right wing groups are the complete opposite of an echo chamber for me. I will try and find some pro Starmer groups for balance. I have no idea where to look though?

Just now, Nummer Neunzehn said:

The fact that this thread today has been about Starmer’s leadership and not the contents of the above is probably a good indicator of where people’s heads are at. 

People discussing Kier Starmer in a Kier Starmer thread! What will be the next awful surprise that 2020 throws at us?!?! 

(plus, people are discussing the report too. No need to tell lies)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Fucking hell, man! He has been there for six months. Any suggestion he should or could have United the party is actually beyond ridicule. How? Answer that question and you’ve got my vote. How, in six months after inheriting a party waiting for a report on antisemitism, that is more divided than at any point in generations, was he meant to unite the party in six months? Not what he shouldn’t do, but what he should have done that would have United the party by now.  

First step is cleaning up the mess he inherited. We now know that mess is unlawful discrimination and political interference. He drew a line in the sand for everyone to see and anybody who crosses it will meet the same fate. That’s not partisanship or forcing the left out or any other brainless claim that has been made today, it’s taking back control. That’s the second step to uniting. 

Corbyn faced a report today that found the LOTO office unlawfully politically interfered and discriminated. Not one word of remorse. Under his leadership that happened and he chose to belittle the report and not to apologise.

The third step is painting the picture of the future and selling that well enough to the party and the country. 

He has, in my view, shown proper leadership today. He faces this report, he met it head on with solutions, he apologised, and it allows the party to move on. Now Corbyn reacted disgracefully, and has been dealt with. This isn’t bad leadership, it’s leadership. Something the Labour Party hasn’t seen for a long time. 

Cobblers.

He said he was going to unite the party: it's his job, not mine, to figure out how.  It's not just that he has failed to unite the party; it's that he has deliberately done the opposite.  A lot of good Labour activists are leaving.  Who is going to knock on the doors in the "Red Wall" constituencies in 2024?

The "unlawful discrimination" amounted to the actions of a tiny minority of Labour members. Corbyn inhereted a party with a stain of anti-Semitism and became the first leader to make a serious attempt to tackle it. Those efforts were deliberately hampered by McNicol and the rest of the anti-Corbyn gang. They only made headway when a Corbyn ally became General Secretary.  The Leader's office only got involved when they were invited in to speed up the process.

Have you read Corbyn's statements today? In no way does he "belittle the report" - quite the opposite. He supports the findings of the report and calls for its recommendations to be implemented quickly.  And he does express remorse. 

You and I disagree on what leadership is.

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

It tells me that Starmer isn't popular with different sides of the electorate. Sides he will need to win if he's going to form a government.

Right wing groups are the complete opposite of an echo chamber for me. I will try and find some pro Starmer groups for balance. I have no idea where to look though?

The polls show that as well...

Try not to be convinced that everything is an attack.

Life’s too short.

5 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

The fact that this thread today has been about Starmer’s leadership and not the contents of the report I posted above is probably a good indicator of where people’s heads are at. 

Or the way Starmer has mishandled it?

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, it’s in his second pledge.

9A871CF0-86E8-454A-BB73-9E9CA811B470.png

The rest are here for anybody who’s unwilling to search for themselves...

https://keirstarmer.com/plans/10-pledges/

Put human rights at the heart of foreign policy + Effective opposition to the Tories = Whipped abstentions on the Overseas Operations Bill.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Every single bit of this.

Corbyn should have apologised today and said he got it wrong. I would have respected him then. Except he didn’t and now he’s out the party. 

Angela Rayner said it best today when she said Corbyn had a blind spot on the issue.

I have found it particularly amusing that the hard left have been shouting the same old Blairite/Tory jibe at Starmer, when Corbyn spent half his political life voting against a Labour Government with the Tories. Funny that.

When did Corbyn vote "with the Tories"?

I'm pretty sure that myth has been busted.