You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

56 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

He's sacked an MP from a PPS role tonight because she voted against a bill which introduced immunity for UK national perpetrators of war crimes. 

Go Kier! 

Its OK,  they only get immunity if they kill people abroad. Nice touch announcing the 3 pps were sacked on Guido before telling them

Three MPs – Beth Winter, Nadia Whittome and Olivia Blake – have resigned their roles as Shadow PPSs after voting against the government’s Overseas Operation Bill, against the party whip to abstain. Will the last Corbynista to leave the shadow front bench please turn the light off…

Nadia Whittome has told Peston she doesn’t consider herself resigned as it was a one-line whip, however a Labour spokesperson tells Guido all three are definitely gone as PPSs. Trust a Corbynista to not even resign properly…

https://order-order.com/

Labour MPs quit Keir Starmer's team to vote against bill condemned by Jeremy Corbyn

Three MPs who held junior roles supporting the Shadow Front Bench quit over the Overseas Operations bill - which the government say is intended to shield soldiers from prosecution

Three Labour MPs have resigned from junior roles supporting Keir Starmer's front bench after they broke the whip to vote against a bill condemned by former leader Jeremy Corbyn.

They voted against the Overseas Operations bill, which the Government says aims to shield British soldiers from prosecution.

Labour MPs were ordered to abstain on the vote for the bill's second reading.

Beth Winter, Nadia Whittome and Olivia Blake are understood to have been informed that if they voted against the Bill they would be resigning their roles.

All three of the MPs are members of the party's left who have been vocal in their opposition to the bill.

Beth Winter served as a Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Rachel Reeves.

Misstep from Starmer to abstain. It invites criticism from both sides: it gives hard of thinking idiots who think the bill (they’ve not read) gives carte Blanche for torture room to spew about it on twitter, and it gives the right room to crow how Labour don’t support the troops. Considering it wouldn’t have made a difference to the outcome, a side should have been picked. 

2 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Misstep from Starmer to abstain. It invites criticism from both sides: it gives hard of thinking idiots who think the bill (they’ve not read) gives carte Blanche for torture room to spew about it on twitter, and it gives the right room to crow how Labour don’t support the troops. Considering it wouldn’t have made a difference to the outcome, a side should have been picked. 

Isn't this the point, not a dig, Labours agenda at the moment is to not have a position on anything controversial, so abstaining on the second reading makes sense as the bill will come back to the house, so take a position then.

Contradictory for the same reason, I believe people strongly opposed to the bill should have been allowed to vote against without being sacked.

9 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Isn't this the point, not a dig, Labours agenda at the moment is to not have a position on anything controversial, so abstaining on the second reading makes sense as the bill will come back to the house, so take a position then.

Contradictory for the same reason, I believe people strongly opposed to the bill should have been allowed to vote against without being sacked.

I guess it’s a delay but it doesn’t avoid being controversial. I don’t have an issue with those three being removed, they know what they were doing. 

7 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

I guess it’s a delay but it doesn’t avoid being controversial. I don’t have an issue with those three being removed, they know what they were doing. 

I think it is wrong to remove people who have an opinion on a bill you are abstaining on. If Labour are voting for/against and expect the same then fine but not on an abstaining tactic.

5 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I think it is wrong to remove people who have an opinion on a bill you are abstaining on. If Labour are voting for/against and expect the same then fine but not on an abstaining tactic.

Fair enough. I think if you defy the whip then you’re going to be removed from any front-bench tomfoolery. They’re no longer PPS. Not the end of the world. 

Cunts trick by Starmer that.

To publicly humiliate the girl by leaking her sacking to that fat drink driving nonce and not tell her before her interview with Peston is just vindictive shite.

All in the same week the words of a murderer of a Labour MP become a party slogan.

What a time to be alive.

6 minutes ago, Dicko said:

Cunts trick by Starmer that.

To publicly humiliate the girl by leaking her sacking to that fat drink driving nonce and not tell her before her interview with Peston is just vindictive shite.

All in the same week the words of a murderer of a Labour MP become a party slogan.

What a time to be alive.

I'm inclined to agree.

Not handled well and Labour shouldn't be abstaining on this Bill

1) Take front bench PPS position

2) Defy the whip

3) Pretend not to know what would happen

Almost like it was planned. If they were truly ignorant, they’re too stupid to act as PPS. 

In one of their statements they said it was a difficult decision to break the whip (showing she knew what she was doing) because it ‘effectively decriminalises torture’. No. Just no. 

33 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

1) Take front bench PPS position

2) Defy the whip

3) Pretend not to know what would happen

Almost like it was planned. If they were truly ignorant, they’re too stupid to act as PPS. 

In one of their statements they said it was a difficult decision to break the whip (showing she knew what she was doing) because it ‘effectively decriminalises torture’. No. Just no. 

Labour originally opposed the bill, then abstained.

She isn't on the front bench she had a junior role supporting the front bench, she doesn't even attend cabinet meetings.

It wasn't a three line whip it was a one line, which is basically asking politely.

It was leaked to Guido Fawkes before she was told.

There is no justification for what happened to her.

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

I'm not clicking on that arsehole's site, but Guido tweeted out that the resignations were confirmed to him by a Labour spokesperson

Oh, so he asked them for a comment and they told him? Maybe, unless he’s lying. Don’t care about that. Using him to brief the press would have been weird though. 

2 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Oh, so he asked them for a comment and they told him? Maybe, unless he’s lying. Don’t care about that. Using him to brief the press would have been weird though. 

Nobody should be talking to them, imo, no matter what the circumstances.