You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

3 minutes ago, Rocky Sullivan said:

I'm not suggesting that they will turn on them, or at least willingly. Besides which I don't think the papers are half as important now as they were then. I was just trying to illustrate the point that it's never to early to go in on the governments weakest traits. 

We're going to be in such a shitshow in the next few years with Brexit and the fallout from Covid it makes sense for Starmer to position himself as the competent, serious alternative and to just keep chipping away. 

I think the main thing in Labour's favour is that people will be just sick to death of the Tories. Johnson or no Johnson. 

Yeah, I agree, Labour can pick up the pieces and form a majority coalition government, hopefully...

That’d be success at this point with the world the way it is.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, I agree, Labour can pick up the pieces and form a majority coalition government, hopefully...

That’d be success at this point with the world the way it is.

Probably. That means it would be a good time for the Lib Dems to buck their ideas up too, especially in the south west. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Twitter gives you views of the world like this

It's a vital tool to process information.

It's also a vital tool for the dissemination of dangerous racist bullshit. 

Basically, it's just a tool.

A hammer can be used to build something wonderful or to murder a passing stranger.

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's also a vital tool for the dissemination of dangerous racist bullshit. 

Basically, it's just a tool.

A hammer can be used to build something wonderful or to murder a passing stranger.

That's cheered me up, anyway on to more serious stuff did you know goodwood tyres have banned Maga hats? No? Nor me.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Thete are brown people in dinghies - we need someone to defend us!

Bit more complex than silly sneering. I could argue that eu closed shop discriminates against people with brown skin from overseas countries that suffer the most extreme hardship. Ie a fully qualified nurse from Africa/Middle east is at a disadvantage to a less qualified worker from Hungary. 

I know the link is old but the issue is still relevant, 

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/adam-hamdy/why-eu-membership-leads-t_b_10317118.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAbIP3ESjvedXkzKpUA8np7kBnVvpa8nuKUkWozXk_BEaCBUVtIscWyop8XiXR9PELBsxDq3Fs-doKSBIJSRPBG-Sx0fwaKhY6tgK6Lay5bgZh9YlaqB-2V-SSKJZd8qld1gLqSJD8Xq-KrBJXkOZu-m6-dEsGaUO3aQOnBqJ1Ru

1 hour ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Indeed. It's people having careers that people have issue with. 

I mean, they're former MPs. They're not going to be stacking shelves in the Co-Op, even if some of them did so badly at school that that's all they're qualified to do.

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I mean, they're former MPs. They're not going to be stacking shelves in the Co-Op, even if some of them did so badly at school that that's all they're qualified to do.

Again, I don't think it's that they're not stacking shelves that's the issue. It's working for big Pharma as a lobbyist after being an MP for the party that introduced the NHS. I'm not saying you can't go from one to the other, I'm not even blaming anybody for getting their trough wet and overflowing, but I'm just saying that I'm not surprised it sticks in the throat of people. You know, the 'If you principles can be bought so easily, did you ever really have them' sort of thing..

6 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I think the issue is taking employment that seems to go against the beliefs of the former political party you represented.

15 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'll confess, I don't see anywhere near as much of a conflict between working for the party that introduced the NHS and working for the people who make the life-saving medicines without which the NHS would be largely useless.

I think it depends on his role. If his role was coming up with these life saving medicines then there's a sound argument that there's at least some consistency there. If his role is as a lobbyist trying to use the work of those doing the life-saving medicinal creation to get the best deal for a multi-squillion dollar company who are trying to squeeze the country for every last penny it can get from the public purse, then it's a tougher shout. I'm not saying all pharmaceutical are evil or whatever, but they're also not entirely clean. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Bit more complex than silly sneering. I could argue that eu closed shop discriminates against people with brown skin from overseas countries that suffer the most extreme hardship. Ie a fully qualified nurse from Africa/Middle east is at a disadvantage to a less qualified worker from Hungary. 

It's a recent poll showing (thankfully low) levels of support for UKIP and the Brexit Party  - two parties who have lost their raîson d'etre and have retreated into overt racism as their only selling point. It's not in any way more complex than that and there's nothing silly about objecting to racism.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I know the link is old but the issue is still relevant, 

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/adam-hamdy/why-eu-membership-leads-t_b_10317118.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAbIP3ESjvedXkzKpUA8np7kBnVvpa8nuKUkWozXk_BEaCBUVtIscWyop8XiXR9PELBsxDq3Fs-doKSBIJSRPBG-Sx0fwaKhY6tgK6Lay5bgZh9YlaqB-2V-SSKJZd8qld1gLqSJD8Xq-KrBJXkOZu-m6-dEsGaUO3aQOnBqJ1Ru

The issue of EU racism isn't relevant to that YouGov poll - but it is a major problem. 

In fact, I'm taking this to the EU thread.

• Upvote 1