You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You for one.

Do you not understand how that makes you look? Almost everything you write makes you look fucking moronic, but responding to criticism of those I just referred to as Blairite snakes by calling me a member of Tony Blair’s fan club makes you look utterly ridiculous. Then, what else could I expect from a member of the Rees-Mogg fan club. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Amazing how a guy who got the leadership of Unite with just 4% of the members voting for him can have such a big say in Labour. More people backed Starmer then Len and yet somehow Gnasher thinks it's the other way around. This is fucking embarrassing.

Wow. I posted exactly the same time on both of these accounts. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Do you not understand how that makes you look? Almost everything you write makes you look fucking moronic, but responding to criticism of those I just referred to as Blairite snakes by calling me a member of Tony Blair’s fan club makes you look utterly ridiculous. Then, what else could I expect from a member of the Rees-Mogg fan club. 

Seems I hit a nerve.

This forums political spectrum has lurched dramatically to the right, its fucking full of em.

People seem to be defending a decision which gives membership money to a bunch of of cunts who want Jeremy Corbyn kicked out of the party for antisemitism.  

It's telling and depressing that virtually all the grief that comes Starmer's way is from corbyn and RLB supporters, either voters or now a union boss. Allowing this narrative of continual infighting to continue at a time when we live under the worst Tory government in memory. 

"But he should be doing better against them!" they cry.

Yeah, wonder why he's not. Who fancies a cruise on the HMS Bounty.

The sad fact of the matter is there's people out there who'd rather be king of their own hill than see a labour government return to power that contained people that didn't pass muster with their own - often very very particular- sense of political right and wrong. There's also a lot of people who just want a fucking good scrap, and they don't care who it's with. It also helps to push their various blogs and "news" websites.

Credit to Long Bailey, I haven’t heard a peep out of her, nor Angie Rayner who's a close friend of hers but is getting on with the job of being deputy Labour leader and putting the fight against the Tories first. 

I read some column the other day, a 'disappointed in Starmer' style piece (of which there were quite a few when he was only about four hours into the job. And it started with something like: "Starmer could have started his leadership by defending Jeremy Corbyn against vile lies about antisemitism."

Gee yeah, what's not to love about that. I'm sure the landslide victory he won for not being the continuity candidate so he could draw a line under all the bollocks was achieved with the idea of dragging the party down the same never ending rabbit hole.

I've said it before but it pisses me off the idea that Corbyn returned the party to its true self and it's somehow been stolen away again by the 'neoliberal right' or whatever the fuck that is. Corbyn constantly defied his own party, he was always an outsider - long before Blair, and surrounded himself in power with outsiders. Many people joined the party just to vote for him, and are starting to leave now he's gone. His was the insurgency, not what came before and not what came since. It was a lurch to the left in things like foreign policy that had been just as unpalatable to people in the 80s as it was in 2019.

Maybe labour should split. Get it over with. Momentum, Corbyn supporters etc take the unite money and start a new party, while what's left absorbs all the willing lib dems, greens and non bonkers conservatives. Maybe strike election pacts with each other now and then but just keep it at a loose alliance. The alternative is basically perpetual sniping at any leader who's not jeremy corbyn or a fan of Jeremy corbyn and, i dare say, that isn't going to be a party capable of winning an election ever again.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's telling and depressing that virtually all the grief that comes Starmer's way is from corbyn and RLB supporters, either voters or now a union boss. Allowing this narrative of continual infighting to continue at a time when we live under the worst Tory government. 

"But he should be doing better against them they cry!"

Yeah, wonder why. 

The sad fact of the matter is there's people out there who'd rather be king of their own hill than see a labour government return to power that contained people that didn't pass muster with their own - often very very particular- sense of political right and wrong. There's also a lot of people who just want a fucking good scrap, and they don't care who it's with. It also helps to push their various blogs and "news" websites.

Credit to Long Bailey, I haven’t heard a peep out of her, nor Angie Rayner who's a close friend of hers but is getting on with the job of being deputy Labour leader and putting the fight against the Tories first. 

I read some column the other day, a 'disappointed in Starmer' style piece (of which there were quite a few when he was only about four hours into the job. And it started with something like: "Starmer could have started his leadership by defending Jeremy Corbyn against vile lies about antisemitism."

Gee yeah, what's not to love about that. I'm sure the landslide victory he won for not being the continuity candidate so he could draw a line under all the bollocks was achieved with the idea of dragging the party down the same never ending rabbit hole.

I've said it before but it pisses me off the idea that Corbyn returned the party to its true self and it's somehow been stolen away again by the 'neoliberal right' or whatever the fuck that is. Corbyn constantly defied his own party, he was always an outsider - long before Blair, and surrounded himself in power with outsiders. Many people joined the party just to vote for him, and are starting to leave now he's gone. His wss the insurgency, not what came before and not what came since. It was a lurch to the left in things like foreign policy that had been just as unpalatable to people in the 80s as it was in 2019.

Maybe labour should split. Get it over with. Momentum, Corbyn supporters etc take the unite money and start a new party, while what's left absorbs all the willing lib dems, greens and non bonkers conservatives. Maybe do elections pacts with each other now and then but just keep it at a loose alliance. The alternative is basically perpetual sniping at any leader who's not jeremy corbyn or a fan of Jeremy corbyn and, i dare say, that isn't going to be a party capable of winning an election ever again.

More Blairite bollocks from another one of my accounts. 

It’s the problem for left or labour parties the  world over now that we are truly post the industrial revolution age and there isn’t a large unionised membership with a clear goal of making life better for the working man.

They’ve got to communicate a reason for being, and with membership numbers dropping the broad church gets more easily splintered and the most passionate voices are obsessed with one or two issues which can turn off a lot of the voting public.

It’s the same for parties on the right who are now all pandering to racists or being taken over by religious entryists.

The money in charge of those though is just better at playing the game to get what they want.

Barry Sheerman, an MP on the right of the party, tweeted a vile antisemitic slur yesterday evening, involving two prominent Jewish businessmen and a trope about thirty silver shekels. He then deleted it, but not before blaming other people for misrepresenting it, issuing a mealy-mouthed half-apology, then trying to mitigate the damage by pointing out that he’s a member of Labour Friends of Israel. He will apparently not face any disciplinary action.

It seems that as long as you say sorry you can indulge in as much antisemitism as you like and not face any consequences. That hasn’t been tested on the left of the party yet, but I challenge anyone to say that if a Corbynite MP had posted what Sheerman did they’d still have the Labour whip today.

Zero tolerance folks!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Neil G said:

Barry Sheerman, an MP on the right of the party, tweeted a vile antisemitic slur yesterday evening, involving two prominent Jewish businessmen and a trope about thirty silver shekels. He then deleted it, but not before blaming other people for misrepresenting it, issuing a mealy-mouthed half-apology, then trying to mitigate the damage by pointing out that he’s a member of Labour Friends of Israel. He will apparently not face any disciplinary action.

It seems that as long as you say sorry you can indulge in as much antisemitism as you like and not face any consequences. That hasn’t been tested on the left of the party yet, but I challenge anyone to say that if a Corbynite MP had posted what Sheerman did they’d still have the Labour whip today.

Zero tolerance folks!

What the fuck is wrong with people! 

Long-Bailey was given the option of deleting and apology and she refused, so not a true comparison.

10 minutes ago, Neil G said:

Zero tolerance folks!

Yep, the whole thing's a charade.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

What the fuck is wrong with people! 

Long-Bailey was given the option of deleting and apology and she refused, so not a true comparison.

So as long as you delete and apologise when you’re called out you can get away with any racist shit you like, is that where we’re at?

5 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Yep, the whole thing's a charade.

Worth noting for the likes of Bruce that a lot of people who were most scathing of Corbyn over antisemitism, people like Euan Phillips and his followers, are calling for Sheerman to have the whip withdrawn, and some are lambasting Starmer for not taking action. I haven’t seen any of them saying “it’s ok, he deleted it and said sorry so let’s leave him be.”

1 hour ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

More Blairite bollocks from another one of my accounts. 

Well it was a load of bollocks. I wince at people who accuse Corbyn and his supporters not getting behind the new leader after the shit Corbyn had to put up with from the right wing of the labour party. Section should address his concerns over disloyalty to the people who did their upmost to disrail the prospect of a labour government at the last election.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Neil G said:

Zero tolerance folks!

Spot on.

5 minutes ago, Neil G said:

So as long as you delete and apologise when you’re called out you can get away with any racist shit you like, is that where we’re at?

No of course not, it’s all a clusterfuck and I can’t think of one reason for this to still be happening, unless Labour is full of antisemites. Which, surely, it can’t be? 

He should be kicked out, as should anybody shown to be in any way prejudicial to any minority group. Swift and unapologetically. 

Long-Bailey made a mistake, she should have been more thoughtful, and, I hope, it was a genuine mistake which she has been punished for, but if not, good riddance. 

2 minutes ago, Neil G said:

Worth noting for the likes of Bruce that a lot of people who were most scathing of Corbyn over antisemitism, people like Euan Phillips and his followers, are calling for Sheerman to have the whip withdrawn, and some are lambasting Starmer for not taking action. I haven’t seen any of them saying “it’s ok, he deleted it and said sorry so let’s leave him be.”

It shouldn't even be a discussion, but totally unsurprising that it is.