You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

He’s not, there’s already a law in place that gives up to ten years for similar offences, which these could easily fall under. The Tories are doing it for voters, Labour are acquiescing because the optics of saying no could be manipulated by the rags ‘Starmer refuses to back patriot bill’ and so forth. So willing to ‘back’ something that’ll never come to fruition, good politics.

Actually that’s not quite correct. While I don’t think any additional legislation should be enacted for memorials, and arson aside, normal criminal damage is split into £5000 of damage or lower and over £5000. £5000 or under is summary only and must be heard in a magistrates’ court where the maximum penalty is three months imprisonment. So graffiti or a paint job would fall within that.

Physically toppling the statue might exceed £5000 and take it to Crown Court, so the ten years would be applicable. But as if any court is giving someone ten years for damaging a statue....

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Actually that’s not quite correct. While I don’t think any additional legislation should be enacted for memorials, and arson aside, normal criminal damage is split into £5000 of damage or lower and over £5000. £5000 or under is summary only and must be heard in a magistrates’ court where the maximum penalty is three months imprisonment. So graffiti or a paint job would fall within that.

Physically toppling the statue might exceed £5000 and take it to Crown Court, so the ten years would be applicable. But as if any court is giving someone ten years for damaging a statue....

...then it’d be a Tory government who are chasing votes after one of the most disastrous handlings of a global panic, economic free fall, self serving brexit agenda and dog whistle racism which has lead to the formation, organisation and legitimation of these Stella drinking fucking idiots who adorn themselves in union jacks and claim to be patriots? 

45 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Of course you will, Nick. Ten years for some graffiti.

Seems it won’t just be a Tory government, Bruce.

Though only giving tacit support to something which may well look very different to the thing they'd do if they had to, its disingenuous at best, pandering to idiots at worst.

Effectively show us what you'd do, because it's bound to be stupid, and then we'd offer ammendments and support to make it in to a working, practical document.

I'm not supporting the new bill by any stretch but I can see the game within the game through the optics of semantics. I suppose this is where we are now, everything has to as vague and inoffensive as possible because it can be used against you down the line.

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Though only giving tacit support to something which may well look very different to the thing they'd do if they had to, its disingenuous at best, pandering to idiots at worst.

Effectively show us what you'd do, because it's bound to be stupid, and then we'd offer ammendments and support to make it in to a working, practical document.

I'm not supporting the new bill by any stretch but I can see the game within the game through the optics of semantics. I suppose this is where we are now, everything has to as vague and inoffensive as possible because it can be used against you down the line.

Think it is obvious now he is not going to be played by Tories. Pick your own fights, stand by your own agenda and steer clear of posturing politics seems to be order of the day. Hopefully electorate will do a side by side comparison with current buffoon and make a more sane decision next election.

6 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Did okay at PMQs again. The way he asks questions makes it obvious that Boris Johnson is dodging. 

Sir Ed Davey though. Pft. He seems like the political equivalent of unsalted frozen chips. Hope Moran wins in August.

Missed it but will catch-up with it on Twitter now. I like Layla Moran but saw something on twitter suggesting she batters her husband or something? Anyone know anything about that? 

Twitter is going mad with the way he kept avoiding questions and asking Starmer. It’s being twisted that he’s looking for answers that he doesn’t know himself. Johnson needs to learn that this type of thing makes him look ridiculous. 

I’d also say that both Rishi Sunak and Matt Hancock look much stronger than Johnson when they speak. I’d not be surprised to see Johnson fucked off before too long. I actually think Sunak has done a relatively good job considering the circumstances. 

He’s doing well, but the team that props Alex up each week are definitely figuring out how to get the sound bites out without saying anything.

Big take away today ‘Sir Keir backs cartel unions over traitor teachers. Would you trust THIS man with your kids future’ or some other wearisome shite. As predictable as the sun rising in the ‘morrow. 

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

He’s doing well, but the team that props Alex up each week are definitely figuring out how to get the sound bites out without saying anything.

Big take away today ‘Sir Keir backs cartel unions over traitor teachers. Would you trust THIS man with your kids future’ or some other wearisome shite. As predictable as the sun rising in the ‘morrow. 

That’s not the take away on the news (who immediately called his figures BS for being out of date) and on Twitter. I mean, there’s always going to be people looking at it and side with the Tories and push bullshit, but the large gap in the middle seems to be swinging towards Starmer. Whether that will continue, who knows. I hope so, these Tories needs to fuck off. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

That’s not the take away on the news (who immediately called his figures BS for being out of date) and on Twitter. I mean, there’s always going to be people looking at it and side with the Tories and push bullshit, but the large gap in the middle seems to be swinging towards Starmer. Whether that will continue, who knows. I hope so, these Tories needs to fuck off. 

I hope you’re right and there does seem to be a genuine appeal he has for the voters, but if life’s taught me anything it’s that these cunts be cunts! 

• Upvote 1

On 14/06/2020 at 18:57, Bobby Hundreds said:

10 years for defacing a war memorial is ridiculous. Defacing a war memorial is disgusting but that's over reaching a government taking 10 years of someone's life for it even wanting to is a fucking disgrace. What's the next tiny step towards.

Gotta play to that gammon base, this incompetence won't deflect from itself!

51 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Did okay at PMQs again. The way he asks questions makes it obvious that Boris Johnson is dodging. 

Sir Ed Davey though. Pft. He seems like the political equivalent of unsalted frozen chips. Hope Moran wins in August.

He did, but I'd have liked him to go a bit further when Johnson was going on about schools and asked him how schools can reopen safely when the class sizes are too big, the classrooms too small, and there is no magic army of extra teachers. Especially as some Tory cunt was trying to accuse the education unions of blocking school reopening in the Education Committee this morning.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Missed it but will catch-up with it on Twitter now. I like Layla Moran but saw something on twitter suggesting she batters her husband or something? Anyone know anything about that? 

She forces him to dress up as a squirrel, shoves a tail up his arse and kicks fuck out of him. God knows where she got that behaviour from.

• Upvote 1