You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

So that's why we're still getting thousands of infections per day- morons who think lockdown guidelines apply to everyone else but themselves. Great British common sense indeed.

It’s a mixture, isn’t it? People like those morons, people with no option of maintaining a two metre distance all day, every day, plus people who genuinely don’t understand what the ‘rules’ are.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s a mixture, isn’t it? People like those morons, people with no option of maintaining a two metre distance all day, every day, plus people who genuinely don’t understand what the ‘rules’ are.  

Yep, the government is equally to blame for confusing everyone and not being strong enough on enforcement. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Sobering.

It's like stopping a supertanker, it takes a huge amount of time and effort to have any noticeable effect

Starmer's been in position for 7 weeks and the Government have 4+ years to the next election. It'll take time 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Sobering.

It's like stopping a supertanker, it takes a huge amount of time and effort to have any noticeable effect

Starmer's been in position for 7 weeks and the Government have 4+ years to the next election. It'll take time 

Just now, Mudface said:

Yep, the government is equally to blame for confusing everyone and not being strong enough on enforcement. 

The government is to blame but they want to be able to pass the blame on to everyone so have been deliberately confusing and made it impossible to enforce. 

The border restrictions is another example, no restrictions for 8 weeks, now £1000 fine at some future point. They have allowed people in to spread the virus but can, at some future point, blame people for coming in/ignoring the rules and spreading the virus.

• Upvote 1

I'm not fussed what Brexit types think about Starmer, the idea that they'll hold grudges for years when they're seemingly about to get what they wanted anyway doesn't hold water, they'll vote for what's in their own best interests at the time when the time comes. God knows what the next election will be fought over, probably food and oil at this rate, but the playing field will be completely different, and I'd be astonished is Johnson is his opponent by then. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I'm not fussed what Brexit types think about Starmer, the idea that they'll hold grudges for years when they're seemingly about to get what they wanted anyway doesn't hold water, they'll vote for what's in their own best interests at the time when the time comes. God knows what the next election will be fought over, probably food and oil at this rate, but the playing field will be completely different, and I'd be astonished is Johnson is his opponent by then. 

I'd be astonished if Johnson was still PM this time next year.

• Upvote 1

I know I’m late to the social media discussion in here but I find it interesting.

ive never been into twitter, and yet suddenly in the last 3 months I am. I go on there regularly. I practically never post anything and I only follow a couple of dozen people but I’ve found it great for getting good information and enjoyable content I wouldn’t have likely seen otherwise.

i follow a handful of NFL peeps, and read about 1/10th of the content they post.

i follow a handful of football/lfc peeps, and read almost none of it but skim the headlines.

The rest are journalists or people that have been putting good stuff out that I’ve seen shared, like the FT graph fella.

i almost never look into the comments, so it almost never annoys or upsets me.

its like a news and funnies aggregator, and it works to give me some light relief.

facebook on the other hand I’ve completely gone away from. I deleted it a few times, though I reinstalled it lately. I find anytime I do go on there I just end up down a rabbit hole watching pointless videos of shite or reading “48 things you Didn’t know you could do with a screwdriver” type rubbish.

its utterly inane, and the fact my mum and her pals use it more than I do now probably says a lot.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Anything vaguely political on Facebook quickly descends into shite. It’s an absolute cesspit and it’s usually the least knowledgable people that shout the loudest. I fucking hate it. 

Its just a shit show full stop mate. I don't miss it one bit.

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

I said before KS was elected leader that no matter who got the job, Labour need to play the long game because this is at the least  a two term Tory government and They'll will have changed leader at least four times before then.

15 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I said before KS was elected leader that no matter who got the job, Labour need to play the long game because this is at the least  a two term Tory government and They'll will have changed leader at least four times before then.

I think it all depends on Johnson really as with him fronting the show they've got everything sewn up. Put someone less popular up front and their horrible policies won't look quite as appealing to the thick twats.  They will still subvert democracy and have the right wing press on their side while they do it of course, but a less popular leader would struggle to sell the policies. 

Despite Brexit being the main policy of the 2019 GE I think the Tories would have struggled, and certainly wouldn't have got a massive majority, without Johnson. 

Any popularity Johnson and the Tories have will disappear once the furlough scheme comes to an end. There’s currently about 6 million people getting 80% or more of their salary to either sit at home and watch Netflix, or go on days out to the beech and countryside. We will in all likelihood see around 4 million people on the dole queue by Christmas. And then we will have to start paying back the money the government is borrowing through higher taxes and pay freezes.

The country will look like a completely different place in 4 years, and hopefully people will be crying out for change.

On 22/05/2020 at 10:24, Rushies tash said:

I'd be astonished if Johnson was still PM this time next year.

Why's that? I think like Trump he's bullet proof with his core at the moment and those within his party are a little like regular republican's in the states, that even when what he does is abhorrent to them, they're petrified to question him because all traditional political norms no longer stand. 

59 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

He's growing on me. 

He's doing a decent job I think too. My expectations were not high, but I think up to now he's done about as well as he can so far. 

46 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Why's that? I think like Trump he's bullet proof with his core at the moment and those within his party are a little like regular republican's in the states, that even when what he does is abhorrent to them, they're petrified to question him because all traditional political norms no longer stand. 

He's doing a decent job I think too. My expectations were not high, but I think up to now he's done about as well as he can so far. 

I know what you mean, but the cracks are beginning to show - with several backbenchers openly critical of his support for Cummings. He'll stay in charge for as long as the eccentric buffoon thing doesn't start to grate on the electorate - or more importantly on the right wing press, who could turn on him very quickly if it looks like things are going sour with voters.

On 22/05/2020 at 11:06, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I know I’m late to the social media discussion in here but I find it interesting.

ive never been into twitter, and yet suddenly in the last 3 months I am. I go on there regularly. I practically never post anything and I only follow a couple of dozen people but I’ve found it great for getting good information and enjoyable content I wouldn’t have likely seen otherwise.

i follow a handful of NFL peeps, and read about 1/10th of the content they post.

i follow a handful of football/lfc peeps, and read almost none of it but skim the headlines.

The rest are journalists or people that have been putting good stuff out that I’ve seen shared, like the FT graph fella.

i almost never look into the comments, so it almost never annoys or upsets me.

its like a news and funnies aggregator, and it works to give me some light relief.

facebook on the other hand I’ve completely gone away from. I deleted it a few times, though I reinstalled it lately. I find anytime I do go on there I just end up down a rabbit hole watching pointless videos of shite or reading “48 things you Didn’t know you could do with a screwdriver” type rubbish.

its utterly inane, and the fact my mum and her pals use it more than I do now probably says a lot.

Yep.

18 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I know what you mean, but the cracks are beginning to show - with several backbenchers openly critical of his support for Cummings. He'll stay in charge for as long as the eccentric buffoon thing doesn't start to grate on the electorate - or more importantly on the right wing press, who could turn on him very quickly if it looks like things are going sour with voters.

I'm absolutely certain that unless something bad comes from the aftermath of the crisis (and by bad, he's caught with something like he says "I don't care who dies as long as my polling numbers are good"), he'll 100% be there at the next election. He's a proven winner at the polls - both winning traditional labour seats in a GE and as a Tory winning a traditional labour city as London twice as mayor - they'll absolutely never shoot him till it gets as bad as it did towards the end of Thatcher's time and we're a million miles off the likes of the poll tax riots. Many of them don't like Cummings and the power he holds (they want the power! ), so he might not survive long (a little like those close to trump in America). 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Yup. Weird time to be thrust to lead a party reeling after a crushing election defeat and fractious infighting for years so he's come in and steadied the ship. 

I'm not going to start singing "oooo Keir starmer" just yet mind. 

26 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Yup. Weird time to be thrust to lead a party reeling after a crushing election defeat and fractious infighting for years so he's come in and steadied the ship. 

I'm not going to start singing "oooo Keir starmer" just yet mind. 

To be honest, I didn't do it with Corbyn either, I think it's a bit weird singing songs for a politician!

• Upvote 2