You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

Seems like a taster for the effects of automation. Has there ever been a more perfect time for future innovation and systemic change once the storm of covid has died down. Instead we will probably just see a repeat of the last recession where the wealthy get far wealthier and the rest pay the price.

30 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

@Neil G What was the alternative, mate? How could they have been much stronger? I’m not saying they couldn’t, just that I’m struggling to think what they could actually have done. 

The proposal itself is weak and will do very little to help private renters who’ve been hit by the crisis. I set out two alternative policy proposals in my post, Labour could have advocated either of these or something else with more ambition, and gone with a major media blitz on it: interviews, articles, Facebook and YouTube ads, petitions, a press conference with Starmer and Debonnaire, try to get a campaign going with the likes of Shelter and local renters’ groups. Then follow it up repeatedly at PMQs and every other opportunity in Parliament.

That kind of sustained visible pressure is how oppositions get governments to change course, not with a few well-honed questions once a week in an empty Commons chamber.

14 hours ago, Neil G said:

The proposal itself is weak and will do very little to help private renters who’ve been hit by the crisis. I set out two alternative policy proposals in my post,

Forgive me. I clicked the link, skipping what was below it assuming it was a copy of the article. I see you put suggestions in there. 

14 hours ago, Neil G said:

Labour could have advocated either of these or something else with more ambition, and gone with a major media blitz on it: interviews, articles, Facebook and YouTube ads, petitions, a press conference with Starmer and Debonnaire, try to get a campaign going with the likes of Shelter and local renters’ groups. Then follow it up repeatedly at PMQs and every other opportunity in Parliament.

I don’t think your first suggestion - for government, who is already paying a huge amount of people’s wages, to pay people’s rent - is fully thought out. I haven’t run the numbers, but how much would it cost, what is the scale of the issue, who will be eligible and for how long, etc. These are important factors before deciding to support a policy that would essentially just be handing tax payer money to (likely) fairly wealthy landlords. On the face of it, I would be as disappointed in Labour as you seem in their response if this was their solution. 

Your second option - increasing the length of the repayment period - seems like the same solution but, ya know, longer. That would suggest the strength of the response is based on length of repayment. I’d say that some renters would easily be able to repay in two years and some not. Some might well be able to pay the rent on the 80% of wage they receive. Depending on how the numbers crunch, it might be sufficient for the overwhelming majority. 

Off the cuff, I’d say a two year repayment window is probably an okay solution but it is likely that there’s a better solution, I have an idea for one myself but haven’t run the numbers. What I’m not convinced by is the emphasis you seem to be putting on this. You obviously care about this, but I’m not convinced it warrants the kind of focus, media blitz, petitions, bailouts, etc that you suggest. 

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Well, it seems the BBC have just decided to hit back against Team Cummings. 

Ooof.  There will be blood.

What next, will the Tories ban the BBC from daily briefings? 

Kuennsberg will have to get her own breakfast rather than having whatever BoJo had for dinner.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’m actually stunned by that. I was quite young at the time but Tony Blair had quite a lot of coverage as leader of the opposition, but that’s quite something. 

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This is a massive opportunity to show the leadership the country is crying out for. 

Please don't fuck it up.

A massive opportunity to fuck up and a massive opportunity to make himself look credible as a leader and to introduce himself to the country, most of which has no idea who he is. 

15 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've said that I'm not convinced by Starmer and I'd need to be won round by him. 

This was definitely a step in the right direction. 

I agree that he did well there. My main reservation remains that the public will see his stance on Brexit as undemocratic and that could hurt Labour electorally. Example below. 

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I read about this too. Starmer is being applauded for his "forensic" approach. Give credit where it's due, but a lot of people won't be that arsed about graphs and procedural correctness. 

They'll be more arsed about rent deferral and having no real choice to have to get on to now crowded public transport to go to work or face losing their job. 

For me, he still needs to do more than be a slick and smooth performer. For me, the jury is still out, but they're asking questions about their previous prejudices.