You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

4 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

He must have done well because centrists all over twitter are ripping their collective cocks off.

For the possibility of a Labour victory in the future it is a good thing that the likes of the Guardian/ Indy will twist the narrative in his favour in the opposite way they did to Corbyn , although the hypocrisy will stick in the craw somewhat.

It's very easy to dismiss praise for Starmer as centrist partisanship, when it's mostly just relief that the country has an actual opposition again.

Left/right/whatever, you'll find ideology is secondary, and a majority of people are satisfied with competence in leadership roles.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, sir roger said:

For the possibility of a Labour victory in the future it is a good thing that the likes of the Guardian/ Indy will twist the narrative in his favour in the opposite way they did to Corbyn , although the hypocrisy will stick in the craw somewhat.

Isn't that what Leadership is about?

Making sure that sort of thing happens more frequently than not?

41 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We will only know if it was good if my fellow lefties are sneering in silence from the sidelines or being needlessly dismissive. 

They dislike him as he's from a working class background and went to the local state school

• Upvote 1

I think it's crazy that 'left' or 'centrists' and their views on Starmer should enter into any of it, he's the Labour leader with a strong mandate and is leading an opposition against a truly vile and incompetent right wing mess, people have to unite behind him or accept the alternative of perpetual Tory rule. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, TK421 said:

Yes, they're incompetent cunts who rely heavily on ideology, e.g. Brexit. 

Trump was elected with a reputation as a successful businessman. Johnson was up against Corbyn. Both will have it much tougher next time, don't you think.

For the record, I like Starmer. He's exactly what Labour need at the moment. Intelligent, articulate and a good communicator.

However I wouldn't be going overboard on him like some prominent centrists in the media . He has some very dubious links himself that I doubt many will call him out over. Given that they slaughtered Corbyn for simply promoting dialogue with those whose views they disagreed with, their hypocrisy will be staggering and they're going to show themselves up as the cunts they are.

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Trump was elected with a reputation as a successful businessman. Johnson was up against Corbyn. Both will have it much tougher next time, don't you think.

I don't think Trump will, no.  I think he'll win a second term comfortably. 

With Boris I'm not sure.  If I were to guess, he won't be PM by the time the next election comes around. I don't see him surviving five years of coronavirus on his current political trajectory.  

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you're going to claim dubious links, it's traditional to provide some examples.

I know that I'm wasting my time replying to you because you can't teach an old dog new tricks, and you'd argue black was white rather than alter your stance, but how and ever...

However, some on here may find this interesting from Matt Kennard.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1250344315777212416.html

28 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I know that I'm wasting my time replying to you because you can't teach an old dog new tricks, and you'd argue black was white rather than alter your stance, but how and ever...

However, some on here may find this interesting from Matt Kennard.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1250344315777212416.html

I'll always change my mind if presented with compelling evidence. 

But what you have provided is evidence that the head of the CPS had a drink with the head of MI5. Leaving aside the idea that one government employee meeting another constitutes something dubious , what on earth is that supposed to prove?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I think it's crazy that 'left' or 'centrists' and their views on Starmer should enter into any of it, he's the Labour leader with a strong mandate and is leading an opposition against a truly vile and incompetent right wing mess, people have to unite behind him or accept the alternative of perpetual Tory rule. 

Just as they united behind Corbyn in the same circumstances.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Just as they united behind Corbyn in the same circumstances.

So people should slag Starmer off because other people slagged Corbyn off? Baby/bathwater. 

What's the point of it all then? Why not just reconcile ourselves to Tory rule forever and throw darts at pictures of David Miliband.