You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

24 years ago today "Rush, Barnes, Rush...Collymore!"

Bjornebye

I think that the 1995/96 season was Fowler's best year. He was absolutely brilliant for us, and both Collymore and McManaman were excellent too for the most part, so the 3 of them in attack made us lethal. We still had a tendency to drop stupid points at times, but to me it seemed as though that was the first time since we'd last won the league where we had a consistent spell and a long unbeaten run. And it came after a month bookended by defeats to Newcastle, losing the derby at Anfield for the first time in ages, and getting knocked out of Europe by Brondby.

Collymore proved to be a problem behind the scenes as his 2-year stint went on, but the biggest disappointment was that the players simply didn't turn up for the cup final. Unless you count the white Armani suits. Man Utd were shit that day, but we were even worse. I can't even recall us having a chance, and we'd dicked them in the league that season. That was the first time I felt truly gutted after a defeat. Not even the 1989 anticlimax hit that hard.

20 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Collymore proved to be a problem behind the scenes as his 2-year stint went on, but the biggest disappointment was that the players simply didn't turn up for the cup final. Unless you count the white Armani suits. Man Utd were shit that day, but we were even worse. I can't even recall us having a chance, and we'd dicked them in the league that season. That was the first time I felt truly gutted after a defeat. Not even the 1989 anticlimax hit that hard.

Horrible day that. Really thought we had the beating of them Im sure someone (rightly) said on here recently that had we beat them that day then psychologically the lift would have pushed us on. We had the talent but mentally we were fucked. Didn't help having dickheads like Ruddock around the club. 

For a few months Fowler and Collymore were the best duo on the planet. 

On 03/04/2020 at 23:31, Bjornebye said:

DirtyFluffyCatfish-max-1mb.gif

QM_inJ.gif

This was on Sunday night "match of their lives" 

Liverpool v Blackburn, final game and 4-3 Newcastle game. Brilliant stuff then and and still now. Collymore had great potential what a player but thick as shite. A good watch.

Fuck I miss footie. 

10 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Palace knocking us out FA Cup Semi, 30 years ago today apparently. Ray Houghton talking about it the paper today. 

I never actually watched that game. I can remember we were in the car going somewhere, and they announced the result on the radio channel's news bulletin. I heard it as "Palace 1, Liverpool 3" so thought nothing of it. It was only later on when they showed the highlights on the TV during the other goal-fest semi that it sunk in what had happened. To say it was a surprise is an understatement because I remembered the 9-0 from earlier in the season.

Looking back at the highlight of the games and results from around that time, the team's defensive malaise had already set in. It was apparent the season before, and it became a feature of the side throughout the following decade even thought the personnel had completely changed. There was a combination of inconsistently, shoddy decision making, lack of pace and injury-proneness between our options of Grobbelaar, Hooper, Nicol, Hansen, Hysen, Venison, Gillespie, Ablett, Burrows and Staunton that the attacking prowess of Rush, Aldridge, Barnes, Beardsley along with Houghton and McMahon didn't always manage to mask. We conceded some really sloppy goals back then.

13 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I never actually watched that game. I can remember we were in the car going somewhere, and they announced the result on the radio channel's news bulletin. I heard it as "Palace 1, Liverpool 3" so thought nothing of it. It was only later on when they showed the highlights on the TV during the other goal-fest semi that it sunk in what had happened. To say it was a surprise is an understatement because I remembered the 9-0 from earlier in the season.

Looking back at the highlight of the games and results from around that time, the team's defensive malaise had already set in. It was apparent the season before, and it became a feature of the side throughout the following decade even thought the personnel had completely changed. There was a combination of inconsistently, shoddy decision making, lack of pace and injury-proneness between our options of Grobbelaar, Hooper, Nicol, Hansen, Hysen, Venison, Gillespie, Ablett, Burrows and Staunton that the attacking prowess of Rush, Aldridge, Barnes, Beardsley along with Houghton and McMahon didn't always manage to mask. We conceded some really sloppy goals back then.

Yes, corners, set pieces gave a sense of anxiety for years later, and for some odd reason only been addressed in the last 5 or so years in my book, by the way I think it was 30 years ago yesterday as Mane has a write up in today's paper, losing track of the days lately.