You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

24 years ago today "Rush, Barnes, Rush...Collymore!"

Bjornebye

Just now, SlugTrail said:

Fucking loved that game, myself and @Dave D watched that down our local fucking celebrated like absolutely dicks and then got very pissed. A much simpler time.

Yes, Christ, you could even smoke inside. I was home from uni and watched it in our old local with a load of old school mates. One of the best nights I've ever had and probably my favourite '90s game in a relative desert of fun games.

"Collymore closing in!"

As I recall, I listened to this on Radio Merseyside.  The commentator was frantically describing the build-up, before going silent for a few seconds (presumably hitting the mute button and screaming "FUUUUCK!  FUUUCKIN' YESS!") then calmly saying "the roar says it all".

Nothing quite like a last-gasp winner.

The atmosphere was something else, particularly for the first 4-3 match.  The second one was great too but had a different feel of course cos we we're 3-0 up, Kenny was taking a bit of stick, then James fucked it up, it was a bit sour.  Thank god for God. 

But yeah the first one was electric, end to end, pulsating, thrilling, fantastic.  I was fortunate to be there, as I'm sure many of us here were. 

8 hours ago, Moo said:

The atmosphere was something else, particularly for the first 4-3 match.  The second one was great too but had a different feel of course cos we we're 3-0 up, Kenny was taking a bit of stick, then James fucked it up, it was a bit sour.  Thank god for God. 

But yeah the first one was electric, end to end, pulsating, thrilling, fantastic.  I was fortunate to be there, as I'm sure many of us here were. 

I was at both. At the time I preferred the second one because I’d never felt the Kop go as mental as that before. It was probably more mental the year before but I couldn’t talk after the second one I lost my voice for days. I’ve watched both back and the first one was a far better game. 

Thank god for God? Erm thank fuck for Stig you mean. That ball in for Gods header was from heaven. That cross alone is why I called myself Bjornebye on here. 

14 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

Fucking loved that game, myself and @Dave D watched that down our local fucking celebrated like absolutely dicks and then got very pissed. A much simpler time.

Was a mental game and a great night. Bloody pub isnt even there anymore.

What I liked about it wasnt just our win but also just how good Newcastle were to watch

3 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Was a mental game and a great night. Bloody pub isnt even there anymore.

What I liked about it wasnt just our win but also just how good Newcastle were to watch

That Newcastle side were superb. I was gutted when they lost out. Always had a soft spot for them since. Hard to like them now though with that cunt owning them. 

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That Newcastle side were superb. I was gutted when they lost out. Always had a soft spot for them since. Hard to like them now though with that cunt owning them. 

Their fans used to hate Kenny Dalglish, too. Haven’t been in years but I always liked Newcastle.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

32 years ago today.

Liverpool 3-3 Manchester United

The infamous Gordan Strachan cigar celebration.

He got the Celtic job day of Istanbul. My dad was raging for ages. Hated him. Inciteful little ginger bastard. 

Turned out to be a decent Celtic manager to be fair but he had to work hard to get accepted. 

8451667160_1d7ce02fb7_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

32 years ago today.

Enjoyed that.

Dont remember that game- normally the United games are etched on the memory

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

32 years ago today.

I was absolutely pig sick after that game, we were 3-1 up against 10 men and had totally played them of the park but still somehow contrived to blow 2pts.

Though we did clinch the League a short time after.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

28 years ago today.

F278CA0E-2FFB-493E-8552-7ED361A0D87E.jpeg

I was in the North Bank for this and when Whelan equalised it went absolutely mental.

I was in the Holte End for the replay when we won on pens but really we were pretty shit in both games against lower division opponents.

The full game is on YouTube.

I watched it in full yesterday and could not believe the pace of it. It's astonishing how much quality football there was in spite of how frantic it was. 

Another thing that stood out as well; I can really see why Collymore never made it here. He had an assist and scored two goals, but literally nothing else in the match came off for him. Constantly running down blind alleys and misplacing passes, it was one of the oddest performances I've ever seen.

16 minutes ago, Em City said:

The full game is on YouTube.

I watched it in full yesterday and could not believe the pace of it. It's astonishing how much quality football there was in spite of how frantic it was. 

Another thing that stood out as well; I can really see why Collymore never made it here. He had an assist and scored two goals, but literally nothing else in the match came off for him. Constantly running down blind alleys and misplacing passes, it was one of the oddest performances I've ever seen.

He had the ability but he was an arrogant headcase. Any striker worth their salt would have loved playing alongside Robbie back then. He wanted to be the main man and quickly reapplied we aren't Nottingham Forest. Evans handled him really poorly. 

33 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He had the ability but he was an arrogant headcase. Any striker worth their salt would have loved playing alongside Robbie back then. He wanted to be the main man and quickly reapplied we aren't Nottingham Forest. Evans handled him really poorly. 

He was, is and always will be a fucking gobshite too. 

• Upvote 1