You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What are your favourite all time magazines?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Mixmag

Match

Shoot

Gamesmaster

The Cricketer

I recognize the name but couldn't place it. DJ music magazine. Good shout.

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

I used to buy Boxing News for years in the 80's , it was mainly UK Based reporting and was great for nerds like me. It used to have round by round descriptions of all fights even at the bottom of the bill in some backwater. It also did in depth interviews and previews of upcoming fights. When I bought it , it was similar in look and size to Private Eye.

The big dog in the market was ( and still is ? ) Ring Magazine , a glossy and US based offering that still covered the same sort of items that B N did but obviously the size of America meant it was not as in-depth. 

Just remembered my favourite bout report  in Ring Magazine,  where a guy boxing in white shorts took a body shot that caused him to shit his shorts. He allegedly fought on for 2 or 3 rounds before he was stopped to ' save the crowd from further punishment '

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Just remembered my favourite bout report  in Ring Magazine,  where a guy boxing in white shorts took a body shot that caused him to shit his shorts. He allegedly fought on for 2 or 3 rounds before he was stopped to ' save the crowd from further punishment '

Stand aside, Rocky. Here comes Mucky.

12 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Who was your favourite wrestler (UK and US seperately) and what games system did you have?

UK - Robbie Brookside

USA - Junkyard Dog

Systems - ZX Spectrum, NES, Master System (Power Base Converter), Mega Drive, SNES, Atari Lynx, Game Boy (original), but not all at the same time.

Power Base Converter

757E29F4-FD45-4406-9EFF-E1586396E666.jpeg

D0EDDD6F-B3A8-46D7-8FA8-A14FD287502E.jpeg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Its Tony so obviously Big Daddy and a Amiga 1000

I expected something similar but he knows his stuff. Looked into the wrestlers having never heard of either of them and they are very well respected. Although the UK one got me curious whether there was a 'serious' UK wrestling scene and a a 'jokey' UK scene that Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks were part of? Or was it just one?

26 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Also used to occasionally buy Look-In, NME and even Smash Hits.

07CC11BF-C235-4650-8706-271D2BA8859B.jpeg

Did you put up the enormous double sided poster of Rick Astley or Wet Wet Wet?

My most recent subscriptions were FourFourTwo which I cancelled and replaced with Private Eye. Cancelled that sub as well maybe six months ago after I’d stopped reading it and had 3 or 4 sat in a pile. Shame really because I imagine the last two months will have had some decent stuff in. 

If I’d been reading it around the time of the December election I’d have probably been permanently angry. 

Loaded was really good when it first started, but then it started trying to ape the far inferior (but more lucrative) FHM, so it turned to shit.

Still got a subscription to Viz.

Mrs O'T has a subscription to New Scientist.  The one in fifty articles I can understand are really quite good.