You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The NHS

Dougie Do'ins

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Looks like the food is one of many, many thing that have detiorated under the Tory cunts. My last stay was for a shoulder op, about 10 or 12 years ago.  I'd been nil-by-mouth for hours before, then out cold for hours afterwards. When I woke up in the small hours of the morning, I asked for any food they could find. I was expecting a half-stale sarnie, and I would have been grateful for it, given how ravenous I was.  Instead, I got a plate of gammon with spuds, peas and carrots; it was fucking lovely.

10 or 12 years ago was the remnants of a Labour government and just before these cunts accelerated its deterioration. It's a mess now but held together by wonderful people. This is the true Bulldog Spirit,not brown nosing US private healthcare firms for a nice little earner.

More of a general healthcare rant this. 

After MrsD had a terrible experience with appendicitis 5 years ago through the NHS we lost faith that they could adequately take care of us and KidD if we needed them, so we decided to get some private healthcare through Vitality. Not the rich person package, the "if you need an operation or physio you don't wait ages" package. 

I feel like I've had a tiny taste of what everyone will have in a few years time.  So far we've used it for getting a cyst removed from my head, physio for my back and this week, Mrs D needed her sinus expanded. 

Pros: you can get a video doctors consultation within a few hours instead of having to ring a million times or wait for weeks. They are happy to prescribe and refer as well. 

You can self refer for physio and mental health stuff if you need it. No questions asked. 

The consultants are all great from our experience. Generally older, experienced staff who put you at ease and can't do enough for you. 

Once you've paid the yearly premium on something that's that. 

Cons: Everything is still a battle. They try anything to not pay out for whatever they can. Arguing the toss over if something is necessary and we've had to get on the phone to argue with them that procedures are needed. 

There is no 24/7 A&E. MrsD had minor surgery yesterday and was bleeding last night, rang them and they said she needed to go to the nearest A&E. For all the money we pay we still had to sit at Aintree hospital for 6 hours. 

Locations are limited. We go the spire in south Liverpool which is a trek. If you don't drive then it would be hard if you were north end of the city.

Cost, it's not cheap. 

Overall, it's not the all encompassing umbrella of security we thought it would be. It has its benefits, but in an emergency you're still at the mercy of the ravaged NHS. 

• Upvote 2

I got home yesterday, after exactly two weeks in hospital. 

I’ve still got to have a nurse come to the house daily to administer antibiotics via an intravenous drip, but it’s good to be sleeping in my own bed at least.

Said it before, but 99% of the people who’ve looked after me these past few weeks have been fantastic. They are up against it in terms of resources, and many are, no doubt, becoming increasingly burnt out, but they definitely care and try their best. 

As is often the case in large organisations, the communication is diabolical. I only got told that one of the things wrong with me is sceptic arthritis (incidentally, the same thing that caused the death of my dad) yesterday, even though it’s been on my record for about ten days.

• Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’ve still got to have a nurse come to the house daily to administer antibiotics via an intravenous drip, but it’s good to be sleeping in my own bed at least.

Said it before, but 99% of the people who’ve looked after me these past few weeks have been fantastic. They are up against it in terms of resources, and many are, no doubt, becoming increasingly burnt out, but they definitely care and try their best. 

As is often the case in large organisations, the communication is diabolical. I only got told that one of the things wrong with me is sceptic arthritis (incidentally, the same thing that caused the death of my dad) yesterday, even though it’s been on my record for about ten days.

Glad to hear you’re back home, and hopefully on the mend mate. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Glad you're home mate. Heal well.

• Upvote 1

On 26/05/2023 at 15:14, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Looks like the food is one of many, many thing that have detiorated under the Tory cunts. My last stay was for a shoulder op, about 10 or 12 years ago.  I'd been nil-by-mouth for hours before, then out cold for hours afterwards. When I woke up in the small hours of the morning, I asked for any food they could find. I was expecting a half-stale sarnie, and I would have been grateful for it, given how ravenous I was.  Instead, I got a plate of gammon with spuds, peas and carrots; it was fucking lovely.

On the day of the coronation someone put a picture of what the menu was like on the queen's coronation on a local Facebook page. I think I'd be tempted admit myself

img_1_1683311780410.jpg

Whoever it was that said they get you out as quick as possible was bang on the money. 

Mums husband was in 3 different hospitals following a fall. Was treated for a  bleed on the brain and then required life saving brain surgery to remove a cancerous tumour from the brain. 

Gra was told he’d be in hospital for about 2 months recovery. He was discharged 9 days later! 

Literally as soon as he could go for a piss using a zimmer frame he was discharged that day. 

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

Glad you're home. Hope it clears up soon.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Whoever it was that said they get you out as quick as possible was bang on the money. 

Mums husband was in 3 different hospitals following a fall. Was treated for a  bleed on the brain and then required life saving brain surgery to remove a cancerous tumour from the brain. 

Gra was told he’d be in hospital for about 2 months recovery. He was discharged 9 days later! 

Literally as soon as he could go for a piss using a zimmer frame he was discharged that day. 

We took my dad in, in 2010. Turned out he had korsakoffs which is caused by boozing. They tried discharge him after 5 days. I'd brought him in as he was confused and had no memory. He was literally no better. If I hadn't argued they would have sent him home. Luckily they did sort a care plan after but god knows what they would have done if I hadn't argued 

7 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

We took my dad in, in 2010. Turned out he had korsakoffs which is caused by boozing. They tried discharge him after 5 days. I'd brought him in as he was confused and had no memory. He was literally no better. If I hadn't argued they would have sent him home. Luckily they did sort a care plan after but god knows what they would have done if I hadn't argued 

Gra was discharged with O/T’s booked in 8 days later, physios 6 days later, no referral to DN’s and no referral to ASC for home care. 

Me mam isn’t talking to me at the moment for my response to her when she told me what had happened. 

But it’s simply not acceptable. I’ve already put in two safeguarding concerns and complaints to the cqc about his care. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Gra was discharged with O/T’s booked in 8 days later, physios 6 days later, no referral to DN’s and no referral to ASC for home care. 

Me mam isn’t talking to me at the moment for my response to her when she told me what had happened. 

But it’s simply not acceptable. I’ve already put in two safeguarding concerns and complaints to the cqc about his care.

They are lucky you know your stuff. With my dad it's like " you're trying to discharge an alcoholic first place he will go is a pub, because at this point he has no comprehension of the gravity of what's going on"