You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: German authorities view Klopp as natural successor for national team role

TLW

Jurgen Klopp is once again in the sights of the key stakeholders in German Football to manage the national team.

Klopp has regularly been linked to take over the reigns of the National team and the Mirror reports that there is a growing enthusiasm within the corridors of football power in his homeland to line up Klopp as a successor to Joachim Low.

And more significantly, the report says Klopp himself is believed to see managing the national side as a natural development. 

In December, the much loved manager signed a contract extension until the end of 2024 and there is no get-out clause attached to that deal.

The German sees this role at Liverpool as his last in club management and it is a sign of how much he loves the club that when positions at Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have become available, he has not been tempted in the slightest.

It goes without saying that Liverpool are thrilled with the progress that Klopp has made during his tenure where he has built a culture of success, and doing so with eye-catching Football and in a humble fashion.

At the press conference after he signed the contract extension, Klopp said that whenever he does depart, “he wants to leave it the club in a very good place”.

Jurgen.Klopp-711.jpg

The powers-that-be at the club feel that Klopp can build a lasting legacy in the same way that Alex Ferguson and Arsenal Wenger did at Man United and Arsenal.

Low has been in the role of German team manager since 2006 and has had many good moments in that time with the World Cup success in 2014 undoubtedly being the pinnacle.

However in more recent times, Low has experienced tougher times which has included a dismal 2018 World Cup campaign where they were eliminated at the group stage.

That poor form continued in the Nations League when they were relegated from League A to League B after failing to win against France and the Netherlands.

However they were spared the humiliation after UEFA decided to increase the number of nations in League A from 12 to 16, meaning the four nations who should have been relegated will now remain in League A.

Germany did find their form in qualifying for the now postponed Euro 2020 winning seven of their eight games and the international tournaments as viewed as the true litmus test for Low.

While there is a number of young up and coming managers in German Football, it appears that Klopp only has to say the word and the job will be his.

View full article

its the logical move for him after he finishes his time here. 

What a stamp on football that man will have. 

Winning the league and breaking the mould in the Bundesliga with little to no money.

Breaking Liverpools 30 year wait for a premier league title and creating what seems a completely new club from top to bottom in the process. (FINGERS CROSSED AND KNOCKING ON WOOD)

He'd then go on to win the World Cup with his home nation. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think he will take the role but he will use it as his last one in around 5-10 years time before he retires.

Think this also . Imagine what he could do with a national side ? Would not be surprised if English FA offered him job when they jettison the highly decorated encumbant . 

I think this is the most likely scenario for Jurgen

Jurgen would be 56/57 by 2024 and I reckon that is about the ideal age for an international manager. He has said on a few occasions that he will not be a 'Roy Hodgson ' type and die in his tracksuit. The only catch to this suggestion is that Low will probably go in the interim  and the new guy might do a good job and the position may not be available.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I think this is the most likely scenario for Jurgen

Jurgen would be 56/57 by 2024 and I reckon that is about the ideal age for an international manager. He has said on a few occasions that he will not be a 'Roy Hodgson ' type and die in his tracksuit. The only catch to this suggestion is that Low will probably go in the interim  and the new guy might do a good job and the position may not be available.

I agree he'll become German national manager one day but I hope he decides to stay here until he's 60! If the timing is right, that still gives him time to have a crack at 2 world cup and at least 1 European Championships by the time he's 65 - 66.

And the thing is, when Jurgen calls it a day here, I'll be gutted but he'll still go with my admiration and best wishes for what he achieved here and turned the club around.