You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alcohol consumption during lockdown

Sugar Ape

What’s the consensus on this, are people drinking a lot during this due to general stress or simply boredom and being off work?

Got a couple of mates, married with kids like, who seem to have drank every night for the last two weeks. Really making the most of it/going over the top depending on your view. 

Personally I’ve not been well for about a month, possibly had Coronavirus but uncertain and if I have had it then it’s been relatively mild. Not had a drink for a month but had three pints of 6.7% Affligem tonight and feeling half cut already. 

• Upvote 2

Hardly touched a drop. Using this whole thing to have a bit of a reset of my life and drink is one of the evils I need to drastically cut back on. Ive put on about half a stone, my appetite is through the roof, I've been exercising and most importantly sleeping really well. 

Had a few on Saturday and felt rough as shit on Sunday. Im not sure the anxiety we all feel is good for my hangovers, they are really bad and I just feel guilty and depressed on them. 

That said, not a day has gone by that I've not heard from a mate or a few that are drinking and just wanted to get hammered for the sake of it. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve had a beer delivery through Hoptimism, Cloudwater, Beer52 and Beer Hawk with two to come from Mikkeller in the week and Wild Beer next week.

We already had a decent wine stock.

Yes, I’m making the most of being off work for months.

Edit: Should add that I’m not isolating with just the immediate family.

Nearly a year sober as I’m in recovery. The old demons have been swirling around a bit more due to the current situation though. Perfectly normal I suppose. I’m a nurse as well so the thought of dealing with work in the current climate and relapsing and going in hungover etc doesn’t bear thinking about. If I can get through this without having a bevvy I’ll look back on this period and be proud of myself.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 29

Don't really drink that much anymore. I'm more of a social drinker. I'll drink if out and others are but I don't really like the taste of most alcoholic drinks. 

Although, I did have a little bottle of bubbly set aside for a certain landmark being achieved in the unmentionable on the GF. But, that'll have to wait a bit longer! 

Not so much beer, but wine and spirits are a reel achilles heel. Got 29 bottles of red from Waitrose Cellar about 2 weeks ago and not much left, may be 6-7 bottle. I'm even hitting the brandy and I've never touched that before, until I bought a bottle of when collecting my wine from Waitrose, plus all the usual suspects I got in there.

I just hope Covid doesn't go after your liver. If it does, am fucked. 

If I told you I had the keys to the boozer over the road and the last barrels of Warsteiner, Coors and Guinness on draft, there, for me, you'd probably think am lying. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

If I told you I had the keys to the boozer over the road and the last barrels of Warsteiner, Coors and Guinness on draft, there, for me, you'd probably think am lying. 

Id ask where you live and what time you are opening 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Id ask where you live and what time you are opening 

The landlord, who I've know for years, doesn't live above the pub, so the deal is, I keep an eye on the pub over the next few weeks and I can dabble at what is left. He's cleaned the pipes and left it ready to rock and roll. Sadly, only one rule - no one else. If I think on, I'll take a piccy and you can see the beer. 

Hardly touched anything in last couple of weeks but I'm still working. Not fancied it on my days off. But plan of having a few this weekend as I'm off. 

Plan is to move matress into my hobby/driking/TV room amd do nothing but watch films, sleep and have a few drinks for a couple of days. Not sleeping well this week and just feel physically and mentally dead. 

28 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

Nearly a year sober as I’m in recovery. The old demons have been swirling around a bit more due to the current situation though. Perfectly normal I suppose. I’m a nurse as well so the thought of dealing with work in the current climate and relapsing and going in hungover etc doesn’t bear thinking about. If I can get through this without having a bevvy I’ll look back on this period and be proud of myself.

Good luck, Sir.

• Upvote 1