You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alcohol consumption during lockdown

Sugar Ape

6 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

@Remmie You can get these two in Tesco for 3 quid a pop.  The Brewdog is surprisingly good (obvs due to the Cloudwater collab).  They've a couple of more  Brewdog collabs for the same price too. 

I'm just off to Tesco now to see if they have any of that North stuff left.

The Brewdog/Cloudwater is ace. Got 15 cans of it, last one went at the weekend.

7 hours ago, RJ Fan club said:

The North stuff (Lost Cosmonauts) is ace for the money. I’ve had twice as expressive DDH that’s aren’t as good. 

The Brewdog/Cloudwater collab is very decent too, but the North Brewery stuff is better imo. 

If you’re going to Tesco, keep an eye out for some Salt Ikat, My Tesco doesn’t sell it yet. Those in the north and London do apparently (I’m South Downs/Brighton) so not quite there yet. This is it... supposedly excellent 

5B2D0884-0FF2-4EE3-BDA7-05CB76AE256B.jpeg

Spot on with that assessment @RJ Fan club I'd normally pay double that for something approaching that quality at an independent beer shop (not knocking them at all, as I usually get my German and Belgian beers from there at a great price).

My local Tesco doesn't have that IKAT yet (it's only a Tesco Metro so was very surprised they had the others in). 

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Probably won't be going to Tesco any time soon, a bit of a ballache to get to. Might try and find some decent Belgian beers online

My local beer shop https://store.beermoth.co.uk/

Have started doing free deliveries UK wide the catch is you have to order >£50 stuff.  Loads of great Belgians though.

• Upvote 1

I once spent somewhere between £8-10 on a 330ml bottle of Bourbon Vanilla milkshake stout. Yes it sounds poncey and over priced, don't care though as it tasted fucking sensational. That was in a microbrewery though.

Just now, TheBitch said:

What’s the most people are spending on a single can/beer from the online stores?

Spending £6 in a boozer irks me. 

These online real ale sites are a rip off. Some of the 'offers' are a complete piss take, I saw one from Beer 52 that was 12 beers for £35. Fuck right off. 

21 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

What’s the most people are spending on a single can/beer from the online stores?

Spending £6 in a boozer irks me. 

£5/6 on a 440, anything above and my cost/benefit ratio kicks in. If it’s a good brewery, limited release then I’m fine pay £7/8. After that it’s just daft. Sharing bottles etc £20. 

The alesong above though were £20 a bottle and, I believe, they’re worth every penny, though others would never dream of paying that and I understand, but we all have our vices and these are, perhaps, some of the best beers produced ever.

My Mikkeller club is about £70 and you get 9-11 drinks in there. Could be cans, bottles all sizes, you never know, that’s part of the fun. It’s stuff you won’t find easily, if at all, in shops. I consider it a bargain. Again others would think I’ve rocks in me noggin. But, c’est la vie! 

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

£5/6 on a 440, anything above and my cost/benefit ratio kicks in. If it’s a good brewery, limited release then I’m fine pay £7/8. After that it’s just daft. Sharing bottles etc £20. 

The alesong above though were £20 a bottle and, I believe, they’re worth every penny, though others would never dream of paying that and I understand, but we all have our vices and these are, perhaps, some of the best beers produced ever.

My Mikkeller club is about £70 and you get 9-11 drinks in there. Could be cans, bottles all sizes, you never know, that’s part of the fun. It’s stuff you won’t find easily, if at all, in shops. I consider it a bargain. Again others would think I’ve rocks in me noggin. But, c’est la vie! 

While I'm sure the Mikkeller stuff is top notch, if I were to spend that on beer it'd be on Belgian mixed cases. 

When it comes to paying top whack for real quality stuff people don't blink at throwing money on a great whisky or bottle of wine or champagne so why not do it with beer? 

Having said that I need some middle ground of quality and affordability. Lidl and Aldi seem pretty hard to beat on this front

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

giphy (21).gif

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

While I'm sure the Mikkeller stuff is top notch, if I were to spend that on beer it'd be on Belgian mixed cases. 

When it comes to paying top whack for real quality stuff people don't blink at throwing money on a great whisky or bottle of wine or champagne so why not do it with beer? 

Having said that I need some middle ground of quality and affordability. Lidl and Aldi seem pretty hard to beat on this front

Tesco genuinely do a great range in the bigger superstores at £2/3 a can. You get some fantastic breweries putting one beer in the supermarkets to guarantee big sales to sustain their business and continue making the small batch stuff.

On the Belgium thing, just horses for courses, and supporting anyone/thing that’s trying to do something exceptional is the important thing. I do love a heavy Trappist from time to time thought. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Tesco genuinely do a great range in the bigger superstores at £2/3 a can. You get some fantastic breweries putting one beer in the supermarkets to guarantee big sales to sustain their business and continue making the small batch stuff.

On the Belgium thing, just horses for courses, and supporting anyone/thing that’s trying to do something exceptional is the important thing. I do love a heavy Trappist from time to time thought. 

Aye, can't argue with any of that. Bang into Stouts at the moment as well, especially milk stouts and /or the extra strong ones

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Aye, can't argue with any of that. Bang into Stouts at the moment as well, especially milk stouts and /or the extra strong ones

Get some mikkeller ‘beer geek’ generally recognised as the best around.

*my contribution to this thread is not sponsered by mikkeller! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah that’s about my level.

£3 for a supermarket 440ml, £5/6 for a decent brewery, upto

7/8 for something I need to get into.

I’d go to £20 for a share. Wouldn’t ponce like £15 for an Omnipollo  for myself. For that price I think I’d want to share the pain and the joy of the quality.

I didn’t go for the Mikkeller as I couldn’t justify that bunce for where my interest lies at the moment. I’ve disappeared down a DDH and NEIPA rabbit hole, so if I ponced 70 sheets in a load of stout I’d be dead annoyed 

10 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

Yeah that’s about my level.

£3 for a supermarket 440ml, £5/6 for a decent brewery, upto

7/8 for something I need to get into.

I’d go to £20 for a share. Wouldn’t ponce like £15 for an Omnipollo  for myself. For that price I think I’d want to share the pain and the joy of the quality.

I didn’t go for the Mikkeller as I couldn’t justify that bunce for where my interest lies at the moment. I’ve disappeared down a DDH and NEIPA rabbit hole, so if I ponced 70 sheets in a load of stout I’d be dead annoyed 

Omnipollo have just done a huge release and I’m genuinely tempted to buy the lot, because, fuck it, the worlds fucked! 

Most are about £6/7, if you buy from Europe before the UK Gov gets its greasy mits on it. Others are pricy, but worth it generally.

About eighteen months ago I spent a day in Omnipollo in Gothenburg, with a good book, and drank everything on the menu. It was glorious!