You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alcohol consumption during lockdown

Sugar Ape

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

What’s the consensus on this, are people drinking a lot during this due to general stress or simply boredom and being off work?

Got a couple of mates, married with kids like, who seem to have drank every night for the last two weeks. Really making the most of it/going over the top depending on your view. 

Personally I’ve not been well for about a month, possibly had Coronavirus but uncertain and if I have had it then it’s been relatively mild. Not had a drink for a month but had three pints of 6.7% Affligem tonight and feeling half cut already. 

I have hit it hard.

I usually am pretty careful during the week, but the lack of a commute means I can get up later. I am drinking JD & Coke which must be very calorific.

At work, I walk 5k per day and always take stairs.

In lockdown,  have done no exercise. I have also started eating a lot of junk food.

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

I get sleepy after a couple of beers in the house.  I tend to have one before beddy byes and drift off to something on YouTube.  There are some excellent coronavirus channels springing up, much better source of info than mainstream media imo. 

Not something I ever envisaged reading. 

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Why you not using the free copper cup, eh?

The glass one is bigger. Simple as that!

10 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Because copper cups are to make Moscow Mules and Mint Juleps

All right, calm down Miss Daisy. 

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If you like Wild Turkey it worth spending another £5 for wild Turkey 101. The Rare Breed is nice aswell but its twice the price 

I’ve had both of them mate. Prefer the normal one to the 101. Rare breed is nice for a treat like but not paying that on a regular basis!

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding WFH really fucking stressful. Tech strains means everything's taking twice as long to do but I have the same deadlines. Been cutting down my boozing since Christmas but this week's been an absolute cunt. Hence hitting the spirits late at night after yet another tough day.  

Went out on my bike today. Felt great, and I'm gonna keep doing it. I really can't be doing with the guilt-depression hangovers.  

On the plus side, I found a bottle of Havana Club Especial I forgot I had. It's fucking lovely.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, cochyn said:

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding WFH really fucking stressful. Tech strains means everything's taking twice as long to do but I have the same deadlines. Been cutting down my boozing since Christmas but this week's been an absolute cunt. Hence hitting the spirits late at night after yet another tough day.  

Went out on my bike today. Felt great, and I'm gonna keep doing it. Tired of guilt hangovers.  

On the plus side, I found a bottle of Havana Club Especial I forgot I had. It's fucking lovely.

Havana club rep. Got a bottle myself just sitting there calling my name...

What will you have left to celebrate when 'something special' happens, if you slam it for no reason at all?

None of my business at the end of the day, but it's probably best not to devalue the good stuff and desensitise yourself to it.

Thus speaketh a very occasional drinker.

5 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

What will you have left to celebrate when 'something special' happens, if you slam it for no reason at all?

None of my business at the end of the day, but it's probably best not to devalue the good stuff and desensitise yourself to it.

Thus speaketh a very occasional drinker.

Drugs. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dougie Do'ins said:

For anyone worried about getting the virus, it may well be worth remembering that alcohol has an adverse effect on the immune system so keep that in mind. 

This is where I am in my head, I've been thinking about drinking a lot (& have sat in the house & got half cut twice) but then I think about my hospital stint last year & it's putting me right off doing it more. 

Best to stay fit & healthy to fight this fucker off.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Mook said:

This is where I am in my head, I've been thinking about drinking a lot (& have sat in the house & got half cut twice) but then I think about my hospital stint last year & it's putting me right off doing it more. 

Best to stay fit & healthy to fight this fucker off.

Depends what your circumstances are. If you are a key worker and going out every day and working in close contact with people then I wouldn’t recommend drinking. 

If you’ve been sitting in your house for ten days then I don’t see much risk in having a bevy to be honest. Plus, you’re Scottish. The Buckfast you have for breakfast probably does you more harm than Coronavirus. 

• Upvote 3

Perhaps slightly more than usual but nothing excessive. I've never been one to drink on consecutive nights really, one night a fortnight or so is hard enough these days. Just leads to eating a load of shite, tiredness, weird sleeping for a few nights and the mental effects others are talking about. Even at times like this when I have more opportunities, I just don't fancy the hassle that comes with it.