You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is the best Sherlock Holmes?

Tony Moanero

Who is the best Sherlock Holmes?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best Sherlock Holmes?

• Tom Baker
    • Jeremy Brett
    • Benedict Cumberbatch
    • Peter Cushing
    • Robert Downey Jr.
    • Vasily Livanov
    • Jonny Lee Miller
    • Christopher Plummer
    • Basil Rathbone
    • Nicholas Rowe
    • Nicol Williamson
    • Douglas Wilmer
    • Other (please state)

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Probably Jeremy Brett, but I was brought up with Basil Rathbone and just can’t shake how fucking great he was. He just didn’t inhabit the role like Brett. Had to vote Rathbone though.

Yeah. It was Rathbone for years with me but rewatching the Jeremy Brett stuff over the years reminds me of how good,and much more dark,than Rathbone. The Rathbone stuff has probably not quite stood the test of time as well.

I love Brett but it’s Rathbone for me as I grew up with those films ..

One notable exception is Robert Stephens who starred in probably the best Sherlock Holmes film Billy Wilder’s , The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and was very good in it 

Cumberbatch was great for the first couple of series but he the scripts have disappeared up their arses since 

When I read the books , Brett seemed to be the living embodiment of them. Very few that I haven't enjoyed out of the list to be fair, I enjoyed the knockabout Downey versions and Jonny Lee Miller is very good in a different way in Elementary ( He also has the benefit of Lucy Lui as Watson )

You missed out Ronald Howard (son of Leslie) who did a popular weekly US series. I'd never seen it, but I've recently found them on YouTube. He was pretty good in the role.

Rathbone remains my favourite, but Brett was best. He brought a fizzing energy of intelligence to the role no one has replicated.

12 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Rathbone for me as he was the one I first remember. I don't mind Brett but for some reason it just doesn't work for me watching it in colour. Plus, I sometimes think Brett overplays the part.

I think the 'overplaying' is part of the attraction. With Holmes being a morphine/opium addict he was prone to wild mood swings,depression etc and Brett captured this well. Also,and unintentionally,his illness while in the role gave a more haunted look to the character.