You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Funniest US Sitcom - The Final - Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia vs Frasier

Bjornebye

Funniest US Sitcom - The Final - Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia vs Frasier   

85 members have voted

1. 1. Funniest US Sitcom - The Final - Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia vs Frasier

• Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    • Frasier

I think there is so much TV around now, and therefore so much poor programming, that what has become seen as great or genius, is actually just above average or good in a lot of cases. I like Sunny. It's fun and an easy watch.  The characters are good. The writing is pretty good. But the idea it's even in the same solar system as Fraser, or Cheers, or MASH, for invention, writing, acting, story lines, and any other number of TV comedic items, is just crazy. The recency bias, and acceptance of average to good TV because there's so much shite out there, is affecting these pols greatly. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I think there is so much TV around now, and therefore so much poor programming, that what has become seen as great or genius, is actually just above average or good in a lot of cases. I like Sunny. It's fun and an easy watch.  The characters are good. The writing is pretty good. But the idea it's even in the same solar system as Fraser, or Cheers, or MASH, for invention, writing, acting, story lines, and any other number of TV comedic items, is just crazy. The recency bias, and acceptance of average to good TV because there's so much shite out there, is affecting these pols greatly. 

Recency bias, plus people having either not seen older programmes, or it being years maybe decades since they last watched them, will always have an affect on the outcome of polls.

39 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

You'd probably have a stronger point if Sunny was actually broadcast in the UK on a mainstream channel. 

38 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

But the idea it's even in the same solar system as Fraser, or Cheers, or MASH, for invention, writing, acting, story lines, and any other number of TV comedic items, is just crazy.

TBH it would struggle to get into a proper top 20 of all time.

You can go chronologically up to 20 years ago and there are a bunch easily better

The HoneyMooners

I Love Lucy

Phil Silvers

Newhart

Mary Tyler Moore

All in the Family

MASH

Taxi

Cheers

Larry Sanders

Seinfeld

Frasier

Its a disgwace.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You can go chronologically up to 20 years ago and there are a bunch easily better

The HoneyMooners

I Love Lucy

Phil Silvers

Newhart

Mary Tyler Moore (good shout)

All in the Family (good shout)

MASH

Taxi 

Cheers

Larry Sanders (good shout)

Seinfeld

Frasier

Its a disgwace.

some good ones in there, but you missed one really big one....

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

The HoneyMooners

I Love Lucy

Phil Silvers

Newhart

Mary Tyler Moore

All in the Family

MASH

Taxi

Cheers

Larry Sanders

Seinfeld

Frasier

Its a disgwace.

Some absolute belters in there.  Taxi, Newhart, Phil Silvers, personal favourites

All six seasons of Community have just come back to Netflix. Definitely worth a watch if you’re looking for something, should have been in this final 16 to be honest instead of shite like Rules of engagement and Big Bang theory.

Great cast too. Chevy Chase is in it to attract all you old bastards in. And even more pertinently Alison Brie is in it for all the many perverts on here. 

Obviously @JohnnyH might want to wait 20 years before watching to see if it’s stood the test of time. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Decency bias vs nostalgia. I’m d take Sunny over all of those. In fact, I can’t stomach any of those anymore. Old hat, tired, worn out. 

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Decency bias vs nostalgia. I’m d take Sunny over all of those. In fact, I can’t stomach any of those anymore. Old hat, tired, worn out. 

I liked Cheers at the time, in fact I’d still watch the odd episode now if it’s on, but it isn’t that funny. Do people seriously laugh when they watch it now?

Can’t get behind the idea It’s always sunny isn’t an absolute top class comedy at all. You don’t run for 14 seasons, over 150 episodes and have near universal critical acclaim if you’re a shit comedy. 

So far most of the negative comments seem to be either from people who don’t like US comedies in general, in which case it’s no surprise you don’t think too much of this, or from people who have watched 15 minutes of one episode or some YouTube clips. 

Not to mention like every subject under the sun you will get a sizeable minority who think things were better in their day. Music ain’t like it used to be. TV shows ain’t like they used to be etc...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Frasier's better. 

As a sitcom, I'd agree and as this vote is on sitcoms it gets my vote. It's a brilliant sitcom with multiple family dynamics as well as an insight into a celebrity world view. When it gets the comedy absolutely right, it's a very funny show too. The cigarette episode is genius.

If this were best US comedy and these two were in the final, I would vote Sunny. Sunny as a whole made me laugh a whole lot more as a whole. Charlie and Frank, Dennis and Mac, Dennis and Big Bird. It all just works.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

All six seasons of Community have just come back to Netflix. Definitely worth a watch if you’re looking for something, should have been in this final 16 to be honest instead of shite like Rules of engagement and Big Bang theory.

Great cast too. Chevy Chase is in it to attract all you old bastards in. And even more pertinently Alison Brie is in it for all the many perverts on here. 

Obviously @JohnnyH might want to wait 20 years before watching to see if it’s stood the test of time. 

Community was good for about 3 seasons and just got repetitive afterwards.